Minor League Game Thread – Thursday, May 6

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Thursday, May 6

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Durham: Matthew Liberatore
    Springfield vs. Wichita: Connor Thomas
    Peoria at Cedar Rapids: Mac Lardner
    Palm Beach vs. Daytona: Ludwin Jimenez

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two of my favorites going today. While minors winning percentage may not be the most vital stat, I’d like to see the Junior Birds collecting wins. I’ll go ahead and say the system goes 3-1 today.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

How good is Liberatore right now as in, if he were in the majors how do we think he would fare?

I understand that he had loads of talent and potential.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ZTR, Libby looked decent in Spring Training, even though he was a little raw. My gut feeling is that he’d look similar to Oviedo last year if he was to be thrown into big league action. Probably higher walk and lower K rates than we’d hope for, so he’d be at the mercy of his BABIP and HR rates. As a starter I think we could expect an ERA in the upper 4s to 5s. Subtract a run if he was in relief. Fangraphs’ Steamer projection system looks a lot like my opinion here:
    6.15 K/9, 5.75 BB/9, 1.25 HR/9, 5.34 ERA/5.75 FIP. With my Cardinal red glasses on, I think he might be a little better than that right now but it’s a fair projection.

The main thing is that he gets used to going through a lineup of advanced hitters and hones his command. Given a full season of each, he could be ready to contribute to the bullpen as needed in September and as a starting pitcher in 2022, not unlike many other top starters in the system the last 10 years (Wacha, Cmart, Reyes, Hudson-Flaherty and Weaver came up to start initially).

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I take it as very positive signs that Liberatore and Thompson made the Memphis squad. Very little downside to the idea, as they could be sent to Springfield with a prolonged struggle, which I do not see happening.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Start times tonight:

Palm Beach 5:30 CST, Peoria 6:35, Memphis 6:45, Springfield 7:05. So far, I have really enjoyed watching on MILBTV. Except Palm Beach, which that organization probably uses analog, or smoke signals for their broadcasts.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Over/Under on Malcom Nunez extra base hits tonight is 2. Should be an interesting game vs this upstart Cedar Rapids squad. “Big” Mac Lardner had better bring at least his B+ game with him this evening. Very tough to call these type of games early on, but I think I have this one nailed…..which should not surprise anyone.

Peoria 7
    Cedar Rapids 5

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We mozzy along to the bottom of the 5th in Cedar Rapids, and Brian William McLean Lardner aka Big Mac Lardner, has indeed brought his B+ game to the great State of Iowa with him this evening. Cedar Rapids is presently getting peppered 3-0 by the Peoria Chiefs. Burleson a towering solo blast in the 5th to accent Big Mac’s 4+ innings of one hit no run baseball. Stay tuned…..and stay cool.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Liberatore went 6 innings tonight and gave up 5 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks and 5 Ks. Solid Memphis debut for Libby. Unfortunately, the Memphis offense is doing nothing, so he is likely to take the L. Durham is a very good AAA squad.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To the bottom of the 7th we go in a 4-1 Chiefs ballgame. Michael Brettel on in relief of Big Lard, who ended up going 4 strong innings. Malcom Nunez 2 hits this evening, but surprisingly neither of the extra base variety. Hang on Chiefs!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Springfield threatening here…after giving up 5 runs in the top of the 7th, they come right back with 3 so far in the bottom of the inning. Nolan Gorman is up with men on 2nd and 3rd with one out. He’s battling now in a 9 pitch at bat. Another foul…and strikes out on pitch #11.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ivan Herrera picks him up with a 2 run single to make it 6-5.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

11-2 Chiefs your lovely lopsided final from Cedar Rapids. Nunez, Burleson and Chandler Redmond amass 3 hits apiece, with Redmond throttling a 9th inning 3 run bomb to send the Rapids faithful scurrying like frenzied ants thru the exiting turnstiles.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jake Walsh looked terrific, with some bad defense on the run he gave up. One of those, I got it, you take it pop ups, and some heads up base running lead to the only run he gave up. He hit 97 mph on the gun, and blew it by several batters. If he doesn’t move to the rotation, he should be the Cardinals closer. He backs up his heater, with a nice slider. Looks like a great relief candidate, and a fast mover. Hard to believe he hadn’t pitched in a game since 2018.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years