Mikolas cashes in

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mikolas cashes in

This topic contains 75 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

Free

4/68 starting in 2020-2023

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

5:30 p.m. ET announcement.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Uhhhhh……….

Does anybody think he will ever be as good as he was in 2018?????

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

This is a smart move. He doesn’t have to be elite, only eat innings and pitch solidly. I think he should be able to manage that and provide good return on the investment.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he is that good again, it would have cost the Cardinals another $50M to extend him. i.e. 5 yrs/$125M.
    I’m sure that having him around for a year already made them feel more comfortable about doing this.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SMH…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Exactly where I would have predicted salary wise.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Another bad signing imho. They guy has one year proven in majors and that is it. Then they pay him till he is 35 but to scared to pay a super star till he is 36. This front office is full of morons.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Now let’s just hope that he earns the money, not knocking him just hoping that we don’t live to regret the contract…

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas extension makes me think CMart is worse off than expected.Also makes me think Wacha probably won`t be brought back when he hits Free agency after this season.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Awesome. The FO was right on the first contract and haven’t waivered with this extension.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    mspaid
    Participant

Good move.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think that’s the most positive post I’ve ever seen from Nate. Not sure whether that’s a good or bad sign!

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Dang Nate! Did you get hacked? 🙂

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good move.

TRANSLATION

A stroke of pure and utter genius by DeWitt, Mo & Co.!! Words cannot adequately describe how happy this makes me!! The way I feel right now, I’ll never question this ownership again. Go Birds!!!!

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I like mikolas and he did have a great year, but I still think they should have waited. I still think he would have given the cardinals first shot. now its true, he might have cost a little more at say the middle or during the offseason if he had another solid year but if he ends up not being as good this year or goes out and has an injury filled year or has to have some major surgery, then this will look just as bad as fowlers deal. the cardinals just never make sense. last year they bend over backwards and try to way overspend for Stanton who isn’t a cardinal type player and strikes out more often than not, wont try to make a legitimate offer to harper who while flawed, hits line drives and more importantly doesn’t swing at every ball he sees. that on top of giving an average guy like fowler too much money. I really like mikolas and I do hope he this turns out to be a good deal all around but this hope and pray thing they do is worrisome.

mspaid
    Participant

I have given credit to the front office in the past and I’ll do it again if they please me. Goldschmidt was a good deal and we didn’t give up much but if he leaves after 2019 and we don’t win the WS it is a push as they day in bridge. The problem with junior and Juniorettes is that they make one good deal each off-season (though Heyward, Fowler, Cecil, Leake, Ozuna were all hailed as good moves and Mo said he was excited about the team, which suggests a very low baseline for success. The problem is they stop. That one player is supposed to lead them out of the wilderness. It doesn’t work that way. You can’t put on the brakes. In addition to Goldschmidt and Miller they needed to release Fowler, sign McCutcheon for right, sign Kimbrel and then you are ready to play baseball. But they came up short again. Let’s hope for the best and when they do something right again I will acknowledge it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nate, I don’t always agree with your reactions but this most recent explanation of how you view the front office is well stated and I feel the same way. We make a good move or two but don’t follow up. The Cardinals are obviously determined to stick with the “sustained success” model but it would be nice if just once every few years we could “push all of our chips in” and go for it.

Yes I know those phrases are subjective and can’t be quantified but I think most people know what I am talking about.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The risk of going for it all is that several down years may follow. That may seem an acceptable risk now, but it wouldn’t be later on, as memories are increasingly short.

Sure, if one could be guaranteed a title, it would be one thing, but we all know the favorites haven’t been winning the World Series with any regularity in recent years. The Dodgers have spent bucket loads of money over the years going for it and haven’t won a World Series in over three decades.

Let’s be specific, as I do know what you are talking about. The obvious “going for it” move would have been to sign Harper. That is a move that is not a slam dunk either way. VEB wrote about that this very morning, taking what I believe is a very balanced view of a decision that is not black and white.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/2/28/18244194/a-look-at-bryce-harper

P.S. I realized I probably should have put this last part on the Harper thread, so I will duplicate it there, in case folks want to talk about him rather than Mikolas.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For a lot of people Harper is the “go for it move” but not to me. He would have been nice but there are other options.

I think Goldy and Miller were very significant moves but we need just one more to put us over the top in the NLC in my opinion. That could be another front end rotation piece (Keuchel, Kluber) or a lockdown closer (Kimbrel). One of those moves would move the needle significantly to the certainty column instead of hanging around on the uncertainty/certainty border.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Put the salary aside and all of the out-year commitments needed to get them to sign. Is gaining 1-2 more WAR really going for it?

Keuchel is projected for 3.1 fWAR this season. Subtract from that the WAR of the guy bumped from the rotation to make room. Also subtract the draft pick the Cards lose by signing him.

Kimbrel’s projection is 1.2 fWAR. Same draft pick loss. (Word is he still wants six years.)

You notice that Kluber was not traded anywhere. That tells me his price was stupid high.

The question no one can answer is whether they would move the needle enough to matter.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals are obviously determined to stick with the “sustained success” model but it would be nice if just once every few years we could “push all of our chips in” and go for it.

There might just be the thought that any one, two, three+ of the players already on the roster will have career years in ’19 and that will be enough for us to make a run at the WS. It may be wiser to think in those terms rather than acquiring a player with good numbers that might flop. We certainly know that is a possibility.

The teams that eventually win are ones that have a couple of players turn into Hank Aaron for a season.
    Its a matter of how the stars(astral) line up. Also chemistry and flat out luck. World championship teams are not necessarily the MLB best team, only the best team in October.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years