Mike Shannon

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mike Shannon

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

The end of an era. A big tip of the cap to one of the finest members of the Cardinals family. Well done, Mike.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I enjoyed listening to Shannon for years until televised baseball took over.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have always loved Mike Shannon, his story’s, his country wit, his mispronunciations of names (likely because of a few Budweisers). He was as much a crazy, fun uncle, as Jack Buck was my 2nd father. I really will miss him, and hope the Cards can find a good color man to back up Rooney.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Cardinal baseball on the radio has always included Harry, Jack, or Mike for me. End of a great era. Mike was just as much of a radio icon as the other two. I just wish you folks in St Louis could see this moon.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ricky Horton will be Shannon’s replacement.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yea mike is/was great. Though listening to the last game, I think it is time..Horton knows his stuff but I just don’t see him as announcer material. Where is dizzy dean when you need him.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I recall as a kid back in the mid-60s and my dad telling me that Harry Caray said this kid Shannon has the best outfield arm we had seen in a long time. That was when I first started paying attention to Mike Shannon.

He and Lou Brock stabilized the Cardinal outfield in mi-season, 1964, and went on to win the World Series after being 40-41 at the All-Star break.

He later took one for the team and converted to third base to make room for the legendary Roger Maris in the Cardinal outfield. All those teams did was win a couple of pennants and a World Series.

A kidney ailment ended Mike’s career, and a year later he wound up in the broadcast booth with Jack Buck. Hurray was fired a couple of years earlier in one of Gussie’s many emotional tirades.

Mike was kind of rough early on in his second career, but over time gained a nice rapport with Jack Buck and they were an entertaining team. I am sure Jack worked a lot with Mike like he did with Bill White when Bill’s baseball career was winding down.

Later on the “Live at Shannon’s” programs after Friday home games were classics. It was like sitting in with former or current players and coaches at a bar and listening to their conversation.

What a great life! Hopefully Mike can enjoy time as a fan, while he lives as a legend.

bccran
    Participant

Probably the greatest all around male athlete ever to come out St. Louis.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike has been a part of baseball for me as long as I can remember. I tuned in on the radio a couple times early in the season but couldn’t do it any more. It was the same when Jack Buck came back for his last stint after being so sick. Its better to just have the good memories.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget Yogi Berra, Cranny.

bccran
    Participant

Yogi was a great baseball player, Pugs.

Mike Shannon, at CBC, was named both the high school football player of the year and the high school basketball player of the year in the St. Louis Region his senior year. He went to Mizzou to play football, and some felt that he would have been in the running for the Heisman if he had stayed there, and not signed with Bing Divine.

The only other athlete I know of who might have been as good was a guy by the name of Carl Genile, who also went to CBC. He made it to the pros in 3 sports – Football, Soccer, and Baseball.

The best female athlete to ever come out of our community is obvious.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Tim McCarver also went to CBC but in Memphis.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Will Shannon be broadcasting Cardinal playoff games on the radio if they advance into the playoffs? Or is he 100% completely done?

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he will still do any playoff games that are at Busch Stadium. Hopefully there will be some.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For Shannon to say that he heard the Cardinals are for sale is almost like taking a parting shot at ownership. I’ll be surprised if they give him any perks like calling playoff games.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Charlie James – another good athlete from that area. Played at Mizzou I believe, and then with the Cardinals. Same era as Shannon.

St. Louis kept the Yankees in all-star caliber catching talent for two decades with Berra and then Elston Howard.

Later another pretty good Howard came along, Ryan. Don’t know much about Ryan Howard’s prep career but am guessing he was a good football and basketball player in high school.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have a lot of fond memories of Mike Shannon. Like most on here I grew up listening to him and Jack. But as I think more about it, I can’t understand why he said what he did about the ownership. What was there to gain by it? If there is no truth to it then why say it at all? If there is some truth to it I still don’t see why you would say it on air like that. I can’t imagine the DeWitt’s would want it out there. Either there was some kind of grudge or senility or both. Either way it is sad for him to go out like that.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.