Matt Carpenter’s back problems return/remain

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matt Carpenter’s back problems return/remain

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like it’s just going to be a chronic issue. Thankfully we have Edman and maybe Miller to fill in a 3rd if Carp can’t be an every day guy.

Participant

Free

Send pitching to the Yankees for Andujar? If he’s healthy, he would be the clean up hitter they desperately need.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Send pitching to the Yankees for Andujar? If he’s healthy, he would be the clean up hitter they desperately need.

Hard pass for me. He’s worse than Jose Martinez with the glove.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Referencing our Monty Python banter the other day, “It’s only a scratch…”

Participant

Free

well maybe nothing but maybe not. I believe edmans going to be playing a lot of third this year.

Participant

Free

ST25, I get the “not wanting to give up the defense” part, but they can’t win if they don’t score runs, and the way this lineup is currently constructed, that’s going to be harder to do than to prevent them.

I’m fully expecting a lot of 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 losses and a few wins by those counts in 2020.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ST25, I get the “not wanting to give up the defense” part, but they can’t win if they don’t score runs, and the way this lineup is currently constructed, that’s going to be harder to do than to prevent them.

I would just be extremely cautious to give up much of anything for Andujar. You’re basically banking on him hitting like prime Matt Carpenter to even make him a viable upgrade. I get that the offense might be an unknown, but a guy who gives away a bunch of runs (he’s a -25 defender by both UZR and DRS) just makes those 3-2 losses…4-3 losses.

I’d just stand pat until/unless we see that Carp is going to be out for a long period of time.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

The NYY have their own prospect depth at SP, their pen is stacked, but they could use a plug in the rotation guy after losing Severeno, Paxton and German. They’ll want at least Hudson, Stl shouldn’t.

Participant

Free

Hudson for Andujar is way to much.

Participant

Free

as it looks if Carp is out Gorman is making it look like he wants the job

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

agree chitown, way too much for their DH, which we would play on the infield. Anything less than Hudson and they have the same already, which doesn’t meet their SP plug and play need.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Call this one the Matt Carpenter Back Watch Vigil??

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Yep, “super precautionary” with good reason.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

never good to see a guy not play because of a injury “super precautionary” or not

How about trying to snag Clint Frazier for something? He seems just as blocked but looks like a more complete player than Andujar, which is more of what id want if i am giving up something

Ponce + Seijas + Williams
    for
    Frazier

ill put this in the trade post too….

Participant

Free

Carlson and Gorman are both making it seem like they don’t want to be sent down.

I thought Carlson was about a 15-20% chance of making the team out of ST, but now I’d move that up to 50/50. Not just due to his performance, but the lack of performance by everyone else. O’neill has been passable, and Thomas has had a few decent moments, and Bader is Bader. In my opinion, Dean and Williams are already out of the competition.

Gorman was at 0% a week ago and I’d say it’s maybe moved up to .01%. I do think he’s potentially on his way to hitting himself up to Springfield though. I’d personally rather him go to Springfield, compared to being in the hitters nightmare known as Palm Beach. The problem with that is then what to do with Montero?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Friendly reminder:
    Spring games completed – less than seven
    Spring games remaining – more than 24

Participant

Free

O’neill has been passable, and Thomas has had a few decent moments, and Bader is Bader.

I actually think Bader is ahead of Thomas right now. Bader hasnt had had errors,misplays and getting picked off. And the hitting is kinda a wash right now. Boy if Carlson had little more time in he would steal a corner spot now. But like as stated 24 more STs to go to get it all clicking

Participant

Free

I don’t think we should count Carlson out as a a CF option, at least for a couple of years. Didn’t he win a minor league gold glove?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Carlson was about a 15-20% chance of making the team out of ST, but now I’d move that up to 50/50.

Mo has said repeatedly that Carlson has a low chance to make the team out of ST. Apart from injury woes, I’d peg him at about 5-10% chance to make it. Gorman’s 0.01% (1 in 10,000) sounds about right.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CFICT asked:

Didn’t he (Carlson) win a minor league gold glove?

Not that I am aware of.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Some guy named Carpenter is sporting a .969 ops and a 4/5 BB/K

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years