Management/Coaches

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Management/Coaches

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I won’t harp on this too much but we know that the front office has tailored the entire organization’s hitting approach around Albert and we also know that they aren’t keen on admitting mistakes, therefore, it shouldn’t be a shock that he is coming back. They may not have made a big financial investment in him but they appear to be doubling down on his hitting philosophy.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, I don’t know that they doubled down, but they surely did not fold their hand…

To your point, they made a major commitment in the majors and minors both, including moving old school coaches out. Many do not understand how broad the changes were in both people and process. It is much more than one man, like it or not.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As expected.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If your name gets brought up and Mo talks about you, you’re on thin ice. I’d imagine 2021 will have to being results or that “belief” is going to fade quickly.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for posting the link Brian!

I felt this would end up being the direction that the organization would take. Hearing this leads me to believe the Cards either believe they have seen enough to believe the offense will be turning around in the near future or Albert needs one more season for his approach to take hold. I would agree with Mo that the minor league development has been hampered due to interruption. My concern is with how the club expects to get improved performance out of the major league roster. It has not materialized in two full seasons and you are heading into a third season with basically the same group of players.

Participant

Free

I am curious about how involved Mo is in trades. Girsch has had the title of GM since June 20, 2017. If that was only a title and Mo is still basically in charge, I think it might be time to restructure the front office. Whoever is the most responsible for the bad free agent signings, bad extensions and bad trades either needs to be fired or removed from those responsibilities. I like the job Flores is doing, so far.

I hope the Cardinals see some results from keeping Albert for 2021. There are only so many reasons why the Cardinals are not doing better offensively:

1) He has some players that are hard to work with or don’t listen.
    2) Whatever he preaches is taking some time to take effect.
    3) The players just aren’t good enough.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Roberts concludes his 43 years scouting for the Cardinals today. 10/31 is the last day for most of the employees leaving as their contracts end.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Albert may be coming back, but his leash should be short if the Cards offense stalls in 2021.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is not about the Cardinals coaches, but the impact of the three hitting coaches for the SF Giants. One of them, Donnie Ecker, worked for the Cardinals from 2015-2017. The authors are Eno Sarris and Andrew Baggarly, the Giants beat reporter for The Athletic.

The main subject is how the hitting coaches got excellent production in 2020 out of a bunch of non-stars. But this paragraph, near the end, also caught my eye.

“But the Giants have just $25.9 committed past 2021 — the balance of Longoria’s contract plus three potential buyout options. It’s all coming off the books after 2022. In the meantime, the Giants have created the coaching and development bandwidth to produce hitters who fit their offensive philosophy and although the pandemic has knocked every club’s revenues for a loop, they should have the financial wherewithal and flexibility to augment their emerging young prospect core of hitters with a lavish free agent or two.”

Does the money part sound familiar? I wonder how many other traditional non-spending teams are lining up to spend big in 12 months from now – and what might that do to the market?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not sure what category the Giants fit in right now. Before Farhan Zaidi got there they were usually a top 5 payroll team. He has smartly dialed it back and patiently waited for his albatross contracts to expire before spending again, and they have certainly found some diamonds in the rough (Yastrzemski & Solano). They have one more year of bad contracts before being able to pounce in 2022, similar to the Cardinals.

There aren’t going to be many teams with the same financial flexibility as the Giants and Cardinals in 2022 so I am not worried about that. It will just come down to how much can the Cardinals stomach to spend in one offseason. This will be a whole new world for them.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will just come down to how much can the Cardinals stomach to spend in one offseason. This will be a whole new world for them.

Yes, if revenues go back up, they could have as much as $80M or more to spend and fit within a reasonable budget. It would be tough to spend it all on free agents, and I’m sure they wouldn’t. I think a more likely scenario (for both StL and SF) would be to spend around half or a bit more and bank the rest for extensions or free agents after 2022 and 2023. That would get you a premium FA and a potential starter or a couple of mix and match pieces, with room to go after another premium guy or potentially extend someone like Hudson, O’Neill, Edman or Carlson at that point (if they are looking worthy of such a thing).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Moises Rodriguez is clearly future GM material.

https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/1329450923995901959

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years