Malcom Nunez

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Malcom Nunez

This topic contains 52 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Bob Reed 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

You have to be impressed with this kid. His offensive #s are off the chart. AND 1 error in 42 games… 26 walks 26 strike out. It just keeps coming. Hurry to Busch, please.

Carioca started this by asking “has anyone been paying attention to this guy” on July 30th. Enough said.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh yeah, you got it, CC. There’s Wander Franco, and no one else is close.

How anybody above the high school level, much less a 17-year-old, can register an isolated slugging of .250+ while fanning less than 6% of the time is beyond me. It just does not happen. Well, maybe it happens. I didn’t even check! But I doubt if it’s happened 5 times in the last 20 years at any level of pro baseball.

Among Appy League guys with 180 plate appearances this year, Franco is *easily* the hardest to strike out, and also has the 4th-best isolated slugging. Crazy. (And like Nunez, he didn’t even turn 17 until March. So they’re both young-ish 17-year-olds, on top of everything else.)

As for 2019, C-27, I would think Johnson City, yes. But I’m sure the club will wait until Spring Training to see how Nunez looks. Maybe he gets the Daric Barton Treatment. You may recall that Barton –as an 18-year-old, like Nunez will be next year — was kept in Extended Spring until mid-late May or so, then sent straight to Peoria rather than a short season team. Man, I wish there were such a thing as full-season rookieball, so guys like Nunez (and Ivan Herrera and Joerlin De Los Santos and Jhon Torres and Ramon Mendoza and Adanson Cruz, et. al.,) could get at-bats in April and May against their age-peers. But then, smarter folks than I have probably considered such a scheme, and thought better of it. Maybe too much of a physical grind for the kids?

At any rate, assuming Gorman starts next year in the Midwest League, I could see Nolan getting promoted after 30 or 40 games, and Nunez inheriting the Peoria hot corner. But even if Nunez spends all of 2019 in the Appy League, he’ll still be plenty young for that level of competition.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You guys really have me excited about this kid. What…..what if we had a total freak of nature on our hands and this kid ends up making Albert Pujols look like Albert Brooks with bat in hand. I know it’s a long shot, but it’s possible we could have an absolute monster in our midst.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agree Bob with your timeline for Nunez – the Barton tratment. Start in EST but go straight to Peoria. But the Cards have not been afraid in recent years to let guys fail in Peoria and then pull.them back when shirt season ball starts. If I remeber correctly, Kelly, Perez, and Machado all have done that.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

I’m glad Robert brought up Joerlin De Los Santos because there’s another player whose production has been off the charts. The batting average is way up there among the league leaders, but so are his stolen base totals and that can’t be ignored. Our DSL teams are loaded with talent….real offensive talent. You’ve got to hand it to our talent evaluators in the Cardinal employ, they are exceptional. They’ve done an impeccable job filling two rosters with quality players.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, since Nunez is that close in terms of plate appearances, he is going to win the batting race. Even if they have to give him a handful of o’fers to reach the minimum, he has a 53 point lead over the second-place hitter (who happens to be De Los Santos at .362).

Now that Mercado is gone, De Los Santos leads the system with 28 steals. I had him on my honorable mentions list for August, but there was a space on my spreadsheet before his name and he didn’t get copied into the article. Definitely a player to watch.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

The nice thing about Joerlin is that he’s still just 17, a half year older than Nunez. Now Brian Sanchez dominated the DSL a few years ago and he’s nothing special at JC now(an understatement), but he was also a few years older – which I remember Brian Walton harping about.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have to admit the Sanchez and Nunez comparison had already crossed my mind, but the latter is both better and younger.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not only did Nunez win the triple crown, he lead the league in OBP, SLG, and of course OBP+SLG.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Comparing the DSL seasons of Malcom Nunez and Brian Sanchez is like comparing Ted Danson to George Costanza. Just in case, for the uninitiated:

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ted and George both lost their hair… 😉

On the baseball side, Sanchez was the 2016 DSL league MVP. A number of folks here were talking him up.

As the DSL has expanded, the quality of pitching has gone down. The league ERA this season is 4.86 vs. 4.46 in 2016.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fair point, Brian. Pitching quality might be down some. But every DSL batter had said advantage, and Nunez did win the batting title by more than 50 points, and the slugging by around 130. And of course he’s real young.

Anyway, doing a deeper dive, the overall OPS has been climbing in the DSL lately, but only gently. On balance, and despite the cited 2-year ERA bump, the league batting numbers remain well within historic norms, so the 2018 increase isn’t enough that I’d factor it in to any individual player analysis. Recent seasons:

2018 .668
    2017 .663
    2016 .654
    2015 .680
    2014 .671
    2013 .647
    2012 .667

As you can see, this year isn’t a sore thumb.
    Nunez’ season in some ways does seem too good to be true, I know. I understand the skepticism. And if I were to have a Nunez micro-concern, it would be the fact that SO MANY Cardinal batters in the DSL had wonderful 2018 seasons (both Blue and Red teams) that just maybe their run environment(s) for some reason were particularly advantageous. Easy park conditions, markedly less foul territory, better batter’s eye in CF, whatever. Were I truly all-in on Malcom, he’d be in my top 30 or 40 prospects, rather than top 125 or so.

People want to know if Nunez is for real. But honestly, I think the better question is, if this kid, as BA’s Ben Badler recently said, “is a strong, physical player with plus raw power and a huge arm at third base,” married to an exceptional track record of dominating the Cuban Junior Leagues domestically and dominating on behalf of Cuba during international competitions, then why was he not a consensus top 3 or 4 signee on July 2?

But then, people still ask how Mike Trout lasted until the 24th pick. Or Albert Pujols and Jim Thome (and a certain current Redbird star) until the 13th round.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really excited to see what Nunez can do in the states next year. His stats are off the charts. And unlike Sanchez, whom I liked, his strikeout rate is low.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am hoping Nunez gets an invitation to instructional camp and if so, I will be checking him out closely.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Nunoz is miles ahead of any Card’s hitters in the DSL, but of the pitchers JULIO PUELLO 6’4″ RHP is tops.

7-0 2.05ERA 1.07WHIP 74.2IP/82Ks and hitters are only batting .210 against him.

Excellent numbers. A prospect to also keep an eye on.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Avatar 14NyquisT.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Several starters from the Blue team look very good. This should give them a chance to win the DSL. Playoffs start next Tuesday against Rangers1 team.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DSL Blue manager Fray Peniche has been at his job for a long time, but he may have outsmarted himself on Monday. He moved Munoz to first base and the teen made two crucial errors that may have cost them the playoff game. I bet Munoz will be back at third today.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder who are the best players who played in the DSL in the last ten years? I may have to research this.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems Nunez has a lot going for him. Hard contact, high average, and good defense. Old school play most certainly. We shall see how he does in the States.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Is there any easy way to look at top ten OPS guys in the DSL over the 10yr to 5yr ago time frame and their stats since? I’ve tried 30-40 different ways and can’t get a thing.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB graduates (per MILB.com) that I recognize from the DSL since ’07. I am sure there are more though, and I did not include pitchers.

Jean Segura & Starlin Castro in 2007
    Starling Marte in 2008
    Odubel Herrera in 2009
    Xander Bogarts in 2010
    Jose Peraza in 2011
    Gabriel GUerrero in 2012 (Vlad’s nephew who made recent debut with Reds)
    Victor Robles in 2014
    Wade Infante in 2015 (included for reference, since he has not played full season ball yet)

Bottom line is it may take some time for Nunez to make it. But Nunez numbers are off the charts compared to most. Brian Sanchez’s season is the only one with superior numbers. Howevr Sanchez played a full season at 2-3 years older, and his contact rate was low. And again, Sanchez hasn’t played full season ball yet either.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the nice article on the MVP robbery, Brian! Must’ve been the signing bonus. Good thing the major leagues don’t work that way, or Albert Pujols would have never won any MVPs at all.

Favorite Nunez trivia:
    Malcom hit more homers in 164 at-bats than the combined totals of the two DSL Royals teams in 4,399 AB’s.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All the posting on the Dexter Fowler thread. and the references to the Jason Heyward trade got me thinking about the reason we traded for Heyward in the first place, the passing of the late, potentially great, Oscar Taveras. ALso, I still believe the loss of Heyward, if you want to call it that, led to the signing of Fowler.

Since there isn’t anything we may be able to do with Fowler, I decided to compare OT’s DSL year. He hit .257. Perhaps most noteworthy are his 8 triples.

Enter Malcolm Nunez in 2018. He rocked the DSL to the tune of a triple crown. As far as I can tell, NUnez’ year was unprecedented. We may not be sure what to expect until he produces state side in 2019. but a comparison to something beyond Taveras is possible. Maybe the bar is set too high, but I could see him start at Johnson City, and end up at Peoria. a la 1st round pick Gorman.

Bottom line is there is a lot to be excited about.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years