Lou Brock passes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Lou Brock passes

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

I just mentioned Lou a few days ago as being in one of the card’s best OFs of all time in ’67. Here’s a guy that no one would want to miss talking about the game. A true Card’s monumental player, ambassador and personality.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember being disappointed that Lou retired after the 1979 season. He had such a great season, i really wanted him to return. But maybe its better to do it the way he did than retire a little late.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

A great, great Cardinal and yes, they really fleeced the Cubs with that trade, lol.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Lou Brock epitomized those 1960s Cardinal clubs. He was the guy that keyed the Cardinals push to the 1964 pennant, and the guy that drove the Red Sox and Tigers crazy in ’67 and ’68. He and Bob Gibson – a force on offense and on defense that played a big role in driving those teams to excellence.

Danny Mac brought up a good point in the Monday television broadcast. He commented on Brock’s 118 stolen base year coming at age 35, whereas Rickey Henderson’s 130 season was at age 24. I had never thought about that before – an amazing feat. In fact, I wonder if anyone has had a more spectacular age 35 season than Lou in ’74. Kind of wish we had more Brock and Wills type of players today. Lou could muscle up as well. I remember as a kid in ’67 looking at the stats one time, this was maybe in June or July, and Lou was leading the league in homers with 14.

One of my all-time favorite calls by Harry Caray is Lou’s 1967 opening night home run against the Giants – two men on base with Juan Marichal pitching; Harry at the mike – “…He got the first hit, will he drive in the first run…crack! – There she goes! Way back! Might be outta here, it could be…. it is! A home run! Hooolllly Cowwww!” Man, I would get goosebumps listening to that even years later.

Great player, great man. Thanks for all you did for baseball and human-kind, Lou. RIP #20.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Announcement by the Cardinals

The St. Louis Cardinals announced that the family of Louis Clark “Lou” Brock has made the following funeral arrangements for the Cardinals Hall of Famer.

A private service will be held at Greater Grace Church in Ferguson, MO on Saturday, September 12th at 11:00 AM. Media and fans can access a live stream of the service at cardinals.com.

Prior to the private service, the Brock family will lay a wreath at the Lou Brock Statue at Lindenwood University at 9:30 AM. There will be a funeral procession from Lindenwood University to Greater Grace Church via First Capitol Drive to Fifth Street in St. Charles. After the private service, the family will lead a procession to Busch Stadium where they will lay a wreath at the Lou Brock statue located at the corner of 8th and Clark Street at approximately 1:30 PM. The procession to Busch Stadium will proceed from Highway 70, north on Tucker Avenue to Market Street to the corner of 8th and Clark Street.

A public viewing will be held at the Austin A. Layne Mortuary, 7239 West Florissant Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63136, Friday, September 11th 5:00-8:00 PM.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Lou Brock Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization, located at 231 Fox Hill Road, St. Charles, MO 63301. The team has set up a web page at cardinals.com/lou to honor Lou and allow fans to share their personal tributes and condolences to Lou’s family.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Special Thanks to Cardinal Nation
    from Jackie and the entire Lou Brock Family

Thank you seems to be such a small phrase. To express the magnitude of my gratitude for the life and times our family shared during Lou Brock’s years with you and even after he retired would require volumes of praise. You are family. You held his goals, his scores, his fans and mostly his commitment, dedication and love. You have always been there for him between each challenge and celebration on and off the field. You, Cardinal Nation, gave us the best experiences, now memories, we will hold cherish forever.

I want your fans and other players to know, you are exceptional in the public’s eye as well as behind the scenes. There has never been a time you did not keep Lou on your short-list of those you celebrated and kept before your fans. I will always be grateful. To your faithful fans, know that you were Lou’s purpose. He never wanted to let you down. On the field, he always thrived to be the best record-breaking player and a reliable team-mate. As a fellow team-mate, he credited you for being his inspiration, as you showed him in return. To his fans, he knew without you there would be no Lou Brock. He always tried to take the time in big situations or small to be welcoming and caring. However, you Cardinal Nation, gave him the platform, support and accessibility to always be the best he could be.

Personally, we are grateful for Fredbird and the birthday recognitions. The walk on the field after his amputation. From Aggie to the ticket takers, parking attendants, security teams, caterers and host of other staff, we thank you for treating Lou Brock as your friend and accommodating him as your star. The broadcasters made him as welcome in the broadcast booths as they acknowledged him on the field. Thank you all.

May God continue to bless each of you. You are most worthy and continue to live up to what baseball stands for in the hearts of us all. Know that you can always count on me in his spirit to baseball. Lou is watching from that stadium above and cheering us all on.

With appreciation and gratitude,
    Mrs. Jacqueline Brock, Beloved Wife & #1 Fan

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years