Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

As far as I am concerned, the sooner Deadspin stops circling the drain and goes down, the better.

You may have gotten that wish, Brian. Every editor and writer at Deadspin has now resigned.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Their real problems began when they lost a lawsuit and were assessed $140 MM in damages to Hulk Hogan, but they lost me years ago when they accused Pujols’ trainer of dealing steroids and later had to recant the accusations when it was learned they fingered the wrong guy. It was Albert’s photo splashed across all the news stories at the time. Oh, gee, Deadspin was really sorry for their mistake. Too bad Albert didn’t sue them then and put them out of business sooner.

How some people feel sorry for a place that built its reputation on irresponsible smear is beyond me.

Participant

Free

Now if we could only get rid of Barstool.

Participant

Free

One of the worst follows on baseball twitter (or the best if you want a good laugh). Not sure how he keeps his job.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The former Scout leaders explain that they bought the SI brand, not the company. I really loved the part where they assert that the CBS North Carolina hoops writer makes $900,000 per year by following their financial model of sharing ad revenue. Knock three zeroes off that and you’ll be a lot closer to the pin. Nothing changes. These guys have made a career out of blowing smoke and duping the hopeful/naive.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/11/18/20971100/sports-illustrated-maven-james-heckman-ross-levinsohn-code-media

Participant

Free

That entire article stunk.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The latest wave of industry layoffs hit Yahoo Sports, owned by Verizon (I didn’t know that). I’ve seen a number of writers informing others of their job availability via Twitter. The group let go includes their longtime sports editor Kevin Kaduk.

Participant

Free

Am I the only one who finds this Anne Rogers person a large waste of space? I have yet to read anything by her that is even slightly informative. I understand she is young and new to the game, but she needs to spend some time in the journalistic minors.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would have to agree CIF. I certainly have nothing against her personally but everything she writes has Captain Obvious written all over it. I can’t recall her writing anything that I didn’t already know. Perhaps they should have given the full time job to Joe Trezza.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

National baseball writer Joe Sheehan reminds the naive that first and foremost, MLB.com is not going to make its owners look bad by reporting negative news, no matter now big the stories may be. His examples include the Brandon Taubman harassment/fining story from Houston and the current proposal for minor league contraction. Guessing they didn’t say much about sign-stealing, either, though to be honest, I only rarely go there for news.

Participant

Free

gscottar, Trezza had already accepted the job as Orioles beat writer before Langosch announced she was leaving/being promoted.

She just graduated from Mizzou so I would assume there’s a huge learning curve getting hired by MLB immediately out of college.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Does SI do more local coverage now. Saw that they have Illinois Athletics coverage and have been covering some things for some time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SI is adding local bloggers like Scout did (same guys in charge), but without the subscription revenue to pay them. Just payment from ad clicks as far as I can tell. I suspect the quality will be spotty.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Keith Law has moved from ESPN to The Athletic.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SI is adding local bloggers like Scout did (same guys in charge), but without the subscription revenue to pay them. Just payment from ad clicks as far as I can tell. I suspect the quality will be spotty.

I noticed that the other day. From the article I read, I’d say it was about the same quality as the Fansided sites. They may have some fans writing, but the content is not all that well written.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I worked with Jeff Ellis at Scout and John Sickels’ reputation is known. Neither have jobs currently. My guess is that with Law on staff, The Athletic will use him for prospect lists, rather than pay a contractor (Sickels). Just a guess, though. Two voices would be even better, but costs more…

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years