Lars Nootbaar injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Lars Nootbaar injury

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Noot would have caught that HR ball that Walker missed.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Noot would have caught that HR ball that Walker missed.

I saw it on the highlights and it did look playable. So did the one O’Neill didn’t catch. I have noticed that Walker isn’t too good at playing balls that come off the wall or get past him into the corner. He does not seem too aggressive getting the ball back in either. We will have to see how his defense progresses. I know he has massive power potential, but so far he has been more of a get on base type. He’s been contributing, but not knocking down the fence. To be honest, I don’t think I like his swing as much as I thought I would. So far.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Back in my day we woulda just rubbed some dirt on it….

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its probably not actual dirt anymore, ZTR. They’d probably get sick or something. Some kind of fake dirt, with moisturizer for a healthy glow.

bccran
    Participant

That’s a riot, BB!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Noot went 0fer 5 with an RBI, 2 Ks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Donovan can make the throws, he can replace Nootbaar.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be interested to see Donovan play some CF. Not that he’d be everyday calibre, but to see how functional he would be backing it up. If we start the season without Edman and Nootbaar, then it will be useful to know if carrying Siani or Scott for CF coverage behind CArlson is mandatory or not.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I hope Scott is kept in the minors as an everyday player – if they need to dumpster dive for an outfielder to keep the seat warm for a month then so be it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like they would use Siani before a dumpster dive, but who knows. That still only would give them 4 outfielders plus Donovan. So they’d have to roster an infielder also.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d much rather see Donovans role as DH/2B, as they had it. That decision was very sound because it helps monitor Donovans elbow and Gormans back, over the season. That decision isn’t broke.

I’d hope Mo is considering a fringe CF starter who doesn’t have a team yet.

When everyone is healthy, Carlson has options. Maybe 105 days optioned down isn’t his worst case. He will get some playing time the next couple months. Good Luck.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bling said:

I would be interested to see Donovan play some CF…

I curious why you think Donovan could handle CF when he can’t play SS (except in a pinch).

P.S. I like Donovan, but we have to be realistic about who could play where… I do suspect he’d be better in left than Burleson. But when Gorman needs a day off, move Donovan back to 2B and start Burly in LF. Nothing broken…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m wanting to see what the pinch would look like.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Winn and Crawford both injured in the same game.

P.S. You didn’t answer my question though I answered yours…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian I think Donovan could be servicable in CF because of his ability and versatility. Do you think he would be worse in CF than Walker was in RF? Or Burleson in LF for that matter? I don’t. I think if we saw an outfield of Burly, Donovan and Walker, Donovan would be the best fielder out there. But we don’t know for sure until we see him in CF.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully Carlson can stay injury free until Edman and Noot return but we all know what hope will do. Until then we are better off defensively with Donovan in LF and Burly at DH.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What happens if its a pivotal PA late vs RHP and Carlson is up? Assuming we have a PH on the bench who can hit righties, we have to know what our options look like defensively.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You still did not explain why you think Donovan could play CF when he can’t handle SS. Of course, that is because it does not make sense. One needs good speed, instincts and a plus arm to be a good CF. That is not even close to the same as being versatile.

So instead you try to create scenarios in which a bad situation would not seem as bad as it really is.

But I will answer your unrealistic questions, anyway:

1) Do you think he (Donovan) would be worse in CF than Walker was in RF? Yes.
    2) Or Burleson in LF for that matter? Probably, but both would be well below average and together it may not be watchable. Two wrongs would not make a right.
    3) I think if we saw an outfield of Burly, Donovan and Walker, Donovan would be the best fielder out there. I disagree, but your dislike of Walker is well known.
    4) But we don’t know for sure until we see him (Burly) in CF. It is not going to happen.

Realistically, Siani or Scott are the most likely adds as the reserve CF behind Carlson until Edman can return. Burly makes the team since Noot isn’t ready.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When Burly is starting for Noot, I like what his bat can bring. Over the last three half-seasons, Alec is trending up. His second-half last season is a nice sample.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to have seen Jim Edmonds play shortstop. Obviously, he would have had to be good at SS since he was good at CF. Carlson can back up SS I assume. Bader would have been good. Obviously, the premise is absurd, but OK, we will play along.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What happens if its a pivotal PA late vs RHP and Carlson is up? Assuming we have a PH on the bench who can hit righties, we have to know what our options look like defensively.

There will be a backup CF on the roster on opening day. Who will it be? I don’t know but it wouldn’t shock me if it is Victor Scott. In fact he might be the starter in CF. Mo might like some PR sizzle for the fans if the rest of the roster is taking on water.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.