International Signings 2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum International Signings 2022

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It looks like we got two good ones here, ranked #14 and #26 respectively.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Mejia is ranked #8 among the SSs (infielders).

LRodriguez #26 is the second ranked C taken…. only #25 Juan Olmos is ranked above him.

Just an observation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ejgonz22
    Participant

Free

Is there expected to be a delay with Cuban players signing? It was reported previously that Reimi Garcia was signing too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/francysromeroFR/status/1424849335301382145

ejgonz22
    Participant

Free
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is very pleasing to see the Cardinals sign some elite level international prospects instead of their usual quantity over quality approach. I can’t wait to see how these top three guys fare this upcoming season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I couldn’t even sit in the stands and talk to a real MLB scout….. I wouldn’t know what kinds of questions to ask, or what else to talk about. But, IMHO, this guy, Wan-Bin Cho, does have a sweet swing. I also think he’s got that ‘it’ factor that scouts and talent evaluators comment on at times. It will be fun to follow this Korean outfielder.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Righty Diego Dominguez is the sleeping gem whom greatly intrigues me.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is good to see the Cardinals change from their older lower priced International signings. Scouting has improved to the point that if a player is highly rated they have a chance to be good. If they can land a top Cuban it would be great.

The old system results in the Cardinals having none of the 20 plus international players in the MLB and BA top 100 prospects. Our top guy seems to be Herrera supposedly an offense first catcher who didn’t have a great offensive year in 2021.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Over $1 million international bonuses by the Cardinals:

Roberto de la Cruz 2008
    Carlos Martinez 2009
    Jonatan Machado 2016
    Johan Oviedo 2016
    Victor Garcia 2016
    Randy Arozarena 2016
    Jonathan Mejia 2022

Among those who got less than a million:
    Oscar Taveras 2008
    Alex Reyes 2012
    Edmundo Sosa 2012
    Magneuris Sierra 2012
    Sandy Alcantara 2013
    Junior Fernandez 2014
    Elehuris Montero 2014
    Malcom Nunez 2018
    Edwin Nunez 2019

Seems to me the issue isn’t the high bonuses, but the fact they have been missing on the mid-to-lower dollar picks in the last seven years.

Are the other organizations getting better at finding the values or have the Cardinals lost their touch finding and developing them?

Source: The Cardinal Nation Prospect Guide

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What was the bonus for Adolis Garcia? Wasn’t he the plan B when they missed out on Luis Robert?

And I should add that I don’t think the Cardinals have done that bad in the international draft, yet this year does seem to mark a shift in strategy.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder, will any of these guys end up in the TCN top 50 when it gets updated again in the spring, or is it simply too soon? Mejia’s bonus in particular may slot into the competitive balance A or early second round range.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Adolis Garcia was pool exempt due to his age and experience. I had not heard of that link to Robert before as Garcia was a grape to Robert’s watermelon. Also, Garcia signed in February and Robert did not sign until three months later – around Memorial Day.

Yes, I think Mejia will slot into the Top 50, but he is probably the only one until they all play some professional ball. Cho is getting tremendous attention due to his uniqueness, but his rumored bonus was about fourth-round money in the draft.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could be wrong about any correlation of Garcia to Robert. I knew they were signed in the same year but I may be making an incorrect assumption about one leading to the other.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton

Yes, I think Mejia will slot into the Top 50, but he is probably the only one until they all play some professional ball. Cho is getting tremendous attention due to his uniqueness, but his rumored bonus was about fourth-round money in the draft.

Would Won-Bin Cho be a little different since he’s coming from Korea? Maybe under-valued dollar-wise compared to the saturated Central American market. Also, he is closer to ML age-wise having already turned 18. Maybe comparable to Tink Hence or Alec Willis ~ $1M HS arms?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cho appeared in US-based showcases that were well scouted, and he was in Atlanta when he signed after working out there for scouts. So it isn’t like he wasn’t well-known outside of Korea. Until I see a free agent play, I put a high emphasis on the bonus as it is a direct indication of his perceived market value.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Hey Brian, any word on the Cuban Reimi Garcia signing? Saw the post by ejgonz22 earlier in this thread but haven’t heard anything about this player. Also, wasn’t there a Cuban pitcher putting on a showcase last week? Wondered if the Cards may be interested in him as well?

Is there any way to know how much the Cards have invested in the current 12 IFA to know how much is still left to spend?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I updated those on the members board about Garcia. I wouldn’t expect him to sign.

There is no public repository for international spending. We have to piece it together from various reports. I share with members what I am able to find out. For past years, I publish that information in our annual Prospect Guide.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years