How disappointing is Harrison Bader?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum How disappointing is Harrison Bader?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sooner made some good points. Sometimes players just are too stick in their ways to make a serious and concerted effort to change. Especially if their opinion of themselves is a bit too rosy.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bader is highly confident. But at WWU, he was open about being inconsistent with sliders low and away. FWIW, of all the Cardinals there, I was most impressed by Bader’s off-season training commitment. We shall see if it translates to the games.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure hope Bader solves the plate discipline problem. It would be great for the Cardinals. But sometimes it’s easier said than done. It’s like changing a golf swing. You can get worse before you get better and some don’t have the patience to come out on the other side. They revert to old, familiar habits. Feeling it’s what got them there and led to at least some success.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jeff Albert needs to earn his keep this year. The spotlight is going to be on him for more than one reason. Not only does he need to help fix the floundering offense I am not convinced he is completely clear of Astrogate.

Some say that hitting coaches don’t really have a big impact on the game. If that is true then why do teams employ them?

Albert has his work cut out for him. He somehow has to revive Carp’s career and has to try to cut down the K rate for Bader, O’Neill, and DeJong. Good luck Jeff.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bader is one who has preferred his own approach over Albert’s teachings. Bader took on a new hitting coach this winter and spent the winter in the Miami area working five days a week. He also said he traveled up to Jupiter (where Albert lives) to keep him informed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder how Albert feels about Bader wanting his own coach.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Many players use their own coaches in the off-season and likely speak to them during the season, as well. Pitching and hitting. Not specific to the Cardinals.

One short story. Colby Rasmus may have crossed the line for the last time when his Dad arrived to work with Colby – in the underground cages at Busch Stadium. Not surprisingly, TLR apparently took exception.

RCWarrior always fancied himself as the smartest man in the room. I’ve always wondered if two of his sons would have made the majors without him, but I also wonder if they would have lasted longer without him. We will never know…

Participant

Paid - Annual

As I recall, Colby’s dad publicaly ripped the way the Cardinals were handling his son. When Colby was traded to Toronto, Tony Rasmus said “it saved by son’s career.”

Participant

Free

Colby Rasmus. A five tool player from a two tool family.

Participant

Free

What career?

Participant

Paid - Annual

At WWU, Bader seemed overly confident that he’s the starting center fielder in 2010. Does he really understand how bad .205/.314/.367/.680 is?

Is he confident and sure of himself which is a good thing, or overly confident and a little too much into himself which is not a good thing?

Participant

Paid - Annual

2020. Typo.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep… it’s time to put up or shut up for Bader.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would an opposing pitcher ever throw him a fastball? I would throw him 100% sliders.

Same with O’Neill and DeJong also. They need to prove they can hit that pitch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Steve Beiser, U. of Missouri baseball coach, has a good technique.
    He shows a video of a pitcher head on and just as the pitcher releases the ball, he pauses the video and has a game with his position players to guess what the pitch is –
    based upon arm angle, position of pitcher’s foot on the rubber, grip if they can detect it, etc.
    He puts pitch recognition at the top of the priority list.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He puts pitch recognition at the top of the priority list.

You’d think it would have to be. I’d also think that excellent vision is pretty much necessary to be a great ballplayer. That’s what makes Tommy Pham’s success so amazing to me.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

The thread title suggests Bader comparisons, for me, so here’s one I’ve been entertaining.

.236 / .317 / .409 / .727 / 92 ops+ is Jackie Bradley Jr’s career slash line.
    .236 / .320 / .393 / .713 / 90 ops+ is Harrison Bader’s career line.

Position appropriate, this is as close as I’ve found among active CF’rs.

JBJ has accumulated 3064 PA’s during his age 23 through 29 seasons, with 2020 being his walk year. HB has 925 PA’s ages 23 through 25, with 2 yrs, 30 days service time.

Both JBJ and HB debuted during their age 23 seasons. JBJ, through his age 25 season, posted a slash line of .213 / .290 / .349 / .638 / 75 ops+. Boston didn’t blink and gave JBJ another 636 PA’s in his age 26 season. Bos was rewarded with a All-Star season of .267 / .349 / .486 / .835, bringing his career ops+ up from 75 ops+ to 94.

Harrison is currently a 90 ops+, and entering his age 26 season. Imo, Harrison is already a more valuable player than JBJ was at the same point in his career, and Harrison’s D is better, clearly better, by the eyeball test and any D metric publicly available. This comparison did remind me to consider the point of Harrison career he’s at, and the age related seasons he’s entering.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Personal opinion, but I just don’t care for a .205 BA over confident player in the starting lineup.

Participant

Free

well we had a lot of those type averages in the starting lineup last year. I guess we shouldn’t have fielded a team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s take a look at the 2019 batting averages –

Edman – .304
    Wong – .285
    Molina – .270
    Martinez – .269
    Goldschmidt – .260
    Ozuna – .241
    Fowler – .238
    DeJong – .233
    Carpenter – .226
    Bader – .205

There went many guys who hit near that Mendoza .205.

Participant

Free

well if we are considering 241, 238, 233 226, great averages, then I think bader will be just fine this year. also to point out, of those players with those averages, only dejong played elite defense, fowler was ok, the other two were not very good at all. Bader was also guilty of a lot of bad luck far as balls he put in play according to some of these fancy stats people quote on here though they usually only pounce on the ones that prove their points. Bader will have to do better this year or hes gone. Hes probably under the most pressure of anyone on this team. He isn’t getting paid big bucks unlike some who are and will still play even if they don’t produce.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler’s defense was okay?
    Don’t think so. Very suspect.

Participant

Free

well im basing fowlers defense off of others we have. he certainly was better than ozuna and Martinez. and I would say he was equal to oneil since I consider him just ok. He also made some great catches though he isn’t the type of player that’s going to dive or take base hits away. He could at least make the routine play so OK.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Many fans who had seen Fowler go after a ball in the gap or the corner in a nonchalant manner are frustrated with his OF play.

Participant

Free

well I never wanted fowler on the team in the first place. Sure he isn’t a hustler but he can catch the average fly ball.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years