HOF Careers Derailed By Injuries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum HOF Careers Derailed By Injuries

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Good article on MLB.com. I expected to see Scott Rolen listed. Had he not suffered the shoulder
    injury he likely would have had several more years of All Star level production and been a first
    ballot HOF’er. I wish today’s players had half the professionalism he had. Truly a pleasure to watch!

Merry Christmas fellow Cardinal fans.

https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fame-players-derailed-by-injury/c-294720174

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you for sharing, Michael. I agree with you that Rolen belongs among that group. He got about 10% of the Cooperstown vote last year and is tracking slightly better this year, but he is a long way away.

On the field, Rolen was all business. Many focused on his bat, but his defense was nothing short of exceptional. Off the field, he was apparently a complex person, with strong feelings about those around him. That was not always in his best interests, but he was a great Cardinal. I keep voting for him to remain on the Cardinals team Hall of Fame fan ballot. Hopefully he will get in before too long.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Didn’t Eric Davis rob Clark of 2 homers in one game in the 87 season?

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Dale Murphy is another one I would add. The guy was dominant for a significant period of time, just not long enough for the voters. His top 6 years had a cumulative WAR of 38.1 — let that sink in for a minute.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scott Rolen was incredible. He is one of my favorites all time. 2 freak shoulder injuries slowed his career. Hee Sop Choi standing like a dumb a** on first blocking his path was one. The other occurred near third, with another standing IN THE BASE PATHS. Scott did everything well, and much like Pujols, Molina, and Larry Walker, who ran the bases very well given their speed.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tony C is a guy that had it all going for him. Really a tragic story as the bean ball took so much out of him, and he eventually died young.

A couple of early day Cardinal players whose promising careers were cut short, due to illness rather than injury, were Austin McHenry and Bill DeLancey.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years