Hicks opts out

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Hicks opts out

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks’ opting out and Brebbia’s injury will open some doors for youngsters like Oviedo and Whitley.

Participant

Free

I don’t think any healthy young player should opt-out but Type 1 Diabetes is a good reason.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Seems like a smart decision given he’s coming off a significant injury/surgery and this season is so compromised anyway. He can accomplish some of his objectives of continued recovery without actual competition. Plus, I assume Hicks qualifies as a true opt out, which means he will get paid (unlike some of the others who have elected not to play).

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no problem with Hicks’ decision. Coming off TJ and being a diabetic it is certainly understandable.

As for the team I am beginning to get worried about the bullpen. Someone is going to have to stand up and elevate their performance.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Probably the smart decision for Hicks. I assume he will still get a year of service time? Injuries have really taken a toll on the Cards’ electric young arms like Reyes and Hicks in their “cheap” years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

agree with all above.
    can’t blame him for this decision AT ALL.
    smart is better than sorry.
    come back strong in ’21

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

stlcard, here’s a tweet for you. Also an article below the tweet that gives more details.

Yankees: MLB Player ‘Opt-Outs’ for 2020 Season Explained

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Echoing the sentiment here. I think it is smart of Hicks to opt out given his diabetes. Plus the extra time to recover from major surgery is good.

I hope Fernandez gets a good shot. I like him a lot and can see closer potential in the guy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Andrew Miller can do something besides collect a big paycheck for contributing next to nothing like Cecil has been doing for the last three and a half years.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard, here’s a tweet for you. Also an article below the tweet that gives more details.

Thanks for that info, Euro Dandy. Hopefully Mr Hicks stays safe and the Cards will get a 100% Jordan ready to close again in 2021.

Participant

Free

How does Hicks’ decision affect rosters — specifically, is a player who opts out due to COVID automatically removed from the team’s 40-man roster (like a player placed on the 45/60-day IL)? If so, I think this means we currently have 59 men in the 60-player pool, 47 in the Busch camp, and 38 on the 40-man roster, right?
    -Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, it is reflected just this way on the Roster Matrix. Yesterday, Hicks was placed on the Restricted List.

St. Louis Cardinals Organization Roster Matrix – 2020 Summer/Alternate Training Camps

Participant

Free

With 59 currently in the 60-player pool, does that create an availability, or is Hick’s spot considered “burned” now?
    -Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Joe, to the first question, yes. To the second, no.

Participant

Free

Thanks for the quick response, and the one I hoped!
    -Joe

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years