Hicks opts out

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Hicks opts out

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks’ opting out and Brebbia’s injury will open some doors for youngsters like Oviedo and Whitley.

Participant

Free

I don’t think any healthy young player should opt-out but Type 1 Diabetes is a good reason.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Seems like a smart decision given he’s coming off a significant injury/surgery and this season is so compromised anyway. He can accomplish some of his objectives of continued recovery without actual competition. Plus, I assume Hicks qualifies as a true opt out, which means he will get paid (unlike some of the others who have elected not to play).

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no problem with Hicks’ decision. Coming off TJ and being a diabetic it is certainly understandable.

As for the team I am beginning to get worried about the bullpen. Someone is going to have to stand up and elevate their performance.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Probably the smart decision for Hicks. I assume he will still get a year of service time? Injuries have really taken a toll on the Cards’ electric young arms like Reyes and Hicks in their “cheap” years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

agree with all above.
    can’t blame him for this decision AT ALL.
    smart is better than sorry.
    come back strong in ’21

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

stlcard, here’s a tweet for you. Also an article below the tweet that gives more details.

Yankees: MLB Player ‘Opt-Outs’ for 2020 Season Explained

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Echoing the sentiment here. I think it is smart of Hicks to opt out given his diabetes. Plus the extra time to recover from major surgery is good.

I hope Fernandez gets a good shot. I like him a lot and can see closer potential in the guy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Andrew Miller can do something besides collect a big paycheck for contributing next to nothing like Cecil has been doing for the last three and a half years.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard, here’s a tweet for you. Also an article below the tweet that gives more details.

Thanks for that info, Euro Dandy. Hopefully Mr Hicks stays safe and the Cards will get a 100% Jordan ready to close again in 2021.

Participant

Free

How does Hicks’ decision affect rosters — specifically, is a player who opts out due to COVID automatically removed from the team’s 40-man roster (like a player placed on the 45/60-day IL)? If so, I think this means we currently have 59 men in the 60-player pool, 47 in the Busch camp, and 38 on the 40-man roster, right?
    -Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, it is reflected just this way on the Roster Matrix. Yesterday, Hicks was placed on the Restricted List.

St. Louis Cardinals Organization Roster Matrix – 2020 Summer/Alternate Training Camps

Participant

Free

With 59 currently in the 60-player pool, does that create an availability, or is Hick’s spot considered “burned” now?
    -Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Joe, to the first question, yes. To the second, no.

Participant

Free

Thanks for the quick response, and the one I hoped!
    -Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This aligns with what I have been hearing informally. I am sharing it especially for several of our members, who have been fearing the worst. (Of course, what happens this spring is what matters, but Hicks has the benefit of two off-seasons since his surgery. Most rehabbers only get one.)

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Throwing 100 mph wont do much good if he cant throw the ball over the plate.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks took a step forward in 2019 by reducing his BB/9 from 5.2 in 2018 to 3.5 in 2019. I agree his debut 2018 walks were too high. In 2019 his BB/9 was middle of the pack amongst our relievers.

2020 was the first season Hudson has had a BB/9 as low as 3.5, so continued improvement from Hicks, like Hudson, would help erase the concerns of Hicks 2018.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years