Helsley Status?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Helsley Status?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

He had one rehab start in early August and didn’t pitch again.
    Maybe I missed an update along the way…..thanks!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That is pretty much it. Said not to be serious but who knows?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Using injury concern, I sure hope they don’t risk losing him thru Rule 5. I see his role next year a la Hudson, you let him maker x number of starts at Memphis, and then move him to the Card bullpen. Or hopefully along with Derian Gonzalez they impress in spring training and make the team for opening day.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I have written, I think the risk is too high to leave Helsley exposed in the Rule 5. If they do not protect him, however, it would suggest to me that his shoulder problem is more serious than we were led to believe.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A la Tim Cooney

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

His last shut down was not for the shoulder but for his forearm tendon sqawking.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have heard multiple reports, including both injuries were forearm related. Either way, I was surprised they had him throw to 12 batters in his very first outing after being out for two months. Even if he was relatively efficient and averaged four pitches per batter, that is very close to 50 pitches. (I do not have the actual pitch count that day.) After seeing this, the news that he was re-injured seemed less of a surprise.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Trying to remember where last week I read an interview with Helsley. He said his first shutdown was the shoulder strain. Then he came back and was pitching grear when he had a strain in his forearm tendon. He said that after that he pitched in one game and had no.pain in the forearm. However, in his between start bullpen he felt a twinge again. Since there was only 2 weeks to go in the season the decision was made to shut him down. He said he had already started his off season throwing program and so far he had felt no.pain.

I think this is what I read
    http://www.stlsportspage.com/CARDSBASEBALL/tabid/91/entryid/12632/helsley-s-future-and-that-of-other-cardinals-prospects-at-stake-with-40-man-roster-decisions.aspx#sthash.wg2I85rR.dpbs

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Helsley is left unprotected there should be a fan revolt. Mo may need to hire security. j/k

Seriously, Helsley should be in St. Louis by July if healthy.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, he survived the much ado over nothing lynch mob over Allen Cordoba. 😉

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Helsley is becoming more confident in his secondary offerings. His cutter has become a swing and miss pitch. And his curve seems to have improved. He has the makings of a third youngster to join Flaherty and Hudson in the rotation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years