Griffin Roberts

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Griffin Roberts

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Any word on when he might pitch?

Thanks!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Discussed in GCL Notebook posted Monday for subscribers.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I missed Roberts getting bumped up to Palm Beach just in time for their playoffs. It is a nice bullpen arm to have, and a telling sign of where he starts in 2019.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume Roberts will begin in early June as a reliever, and then they would ramp up his pitch count to stretch him out. He can’t do anything in EST, can he?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Roberts can do in EST whatever the Cards want. Players on suspension cannot appear in games for which there is an admission charge. So, if they want him to pitch as a starter, there is ample opportunity for him to prepare. My guess he will slide over from EST to Palm Beach when he comes off his suspension in late May. I will learn more when I swing through EST next month.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s too bad he can’t start for Peoria, as their starters have had problems. But then again, Palm Beach seems like the right full season club to begin with. If successful, he could be at Springfield/Memphis with a year, and maybe be a bullpen option for the big club by 2020’s end. He is an important prospect with the lack of lower options in the lower minors.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Griffin certainly could start with Peoria. I did not mean to rule that out as a possibility.

However, he could also be ready for a bigger challenge at Palm Beach. The way I see it, maybe that would allow one of the effective PB starters to move up and help a Springfield rotation that looks like it could use it. No bad scenarios from my vantage point.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I thought GCL games were free?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, GCL games are free, but they are still official league games. (It wouldn’t matter anyway since their season does not begin until after Roberts’ suspension is over.) A suspended player can participate in minors spring training and instructional camp games because they are considered practice, but not league games. That is a better way to put it.

Again, the relevant point is that Roberts has a place in EST to get ready for when his time in the penalty box ends, so it is not a complete loss.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I forget how the organization handled the Reyes suspension… was it similar to Roberts’?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes went straight from pitching in EST into the Memphis rotation when his suspension was up.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With no Palm Beach rainouts Roberts’ suspension would end, and make him available to pitch May 29th.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That day can’t come soon enough for the PB-Cards. They used a bullpen start yesterday and as of today that would leave one more start that won’t be covered(Leahy’s turn from PEO). I don’t know of the status of Tewes-Walsh-Oxnevad as far as returning but they will certainly be welcomed.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No word on Walsh or Gingery. I particularly thought Walsh might make it to Springfield before injury.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If May 29th is his return date PB will likely keep that open rotation spot open for him. They never filled the opening after Oviedo and then Rondon were sent up to AA. Only Parsons was added.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years