Griffin Roberts suspension

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Griffin Roberts suspension

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone read or hear that Griffin Roberts has been suspended a second time for drugs ..50 games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good grief.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When will these freaking kids ever learn? So this is the 2nd time suspended and he hasn`t ever even thrown a single pitch for the Cards organization.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52, it is his first suspension and second positive test. He pitched in limited duty in GCL and Palm Beach last summer. More details in the article.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Just think, if he was on the 40-man roster this wouldn’t even be talked about. It’s absurd MiLB and MLB have different testing procedures.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My mistake.I was thinking of Steven Gingery.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the root issue. Most people want to blame the greedy owners, but in this case, it is the greedy players.

The Players Union doesn’t care about minor leaguers, so they have no one fighting for them at the bargaining table. Otherwise minor leaguers would have decent salaries, and yes, a consistent drug testing agreement, among many other things. The fact that every MLB player was once a minor leaguer and yet, they turn their back on them later makes me really angry.

However, the owners are far from innocent.

MLB got a Federal law passed earlier this year giving them an exemption from paying minor leaguers minimum wage! And they had the nerve to call it “Save America’s Pastime Act” – as if minimum wages would break MLB. That also allowed MLB to get salary class-action lawsuits filed against them thrown out of court.

And no one seems to care…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Taking responsibility for his actions.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

MLB got a Federal law passed earlier this year giving them an exemption from paying minor leaguers minimum wage! And they had the nerve to call it “Save America’s Pastime Act” – as if minimum wages would break MLB. That also allowed MLB to get salary class-action lawsuits filed against them thrown out of court.

And no one seems to care…

And these owners are always seeking handouts in the form of public financing of their private enterprises…

Well, Brian, if you want to start a change.org petition, I will sign it. All you have to do is send it to every sportswriter in America and you’ll get the necessary signatures in no time.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s good that they are busting kids like this early in their career rather so they get the point about substance abuse and discipline.

bccran
    Participant

He should have to return some of his $1,664,200 signing bonus. Gross stupidity. Wake Forest guys are supposed to know better.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Chris Paul punched Darius Hodge in the nuts on national tv during an ACC game.

Why is it on my chromebook when I log in it won’t let me because it says cookies aren’t enable but they are.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Talk about a low blow! Yep, I seriously doubt that Darius’ cookies weren’t enabled to do much for quite awhile after getting tagged by a Chris Paul left hook, Booyah. Quick question….how in blazes can you pinpoint a punch with any kind of accuracy when the target is so darn low? I could see if Paul, at just 6 foot tall, was punching someone like Manute Bol or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, but Darius Hodge is only 6’2. Maybe C. Paul missed his true calling as a boxer?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Its three strikes you’re out, correct? Roberts joins Reyes in that boat and it will be something that will stick with his reputation. Same with Pearce. Something that will lower their trade value also.

ps. I didn’t know about strike one.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know it’s against the rules, but in Griffin Roberts’ case, it appears that it’s just wacky tobaccy that’s getting him in trouble. Your’s truly even indulged in a bit of the hooch back in the day…..and look how I turned out. What I liked about pot was that it transformed me into a deep thinker when I was under it’s influence. I remember doing my calculus homework one night right after accepting a couple of bong hits from one of my Sig Ep brothers….for the first time I was actually having a ball doing it….I ripped right through my homework and then even went one step further by coming up with some new derivatives and formulas on my own. To this day I wish I had saved those, as who knows….it could have been some pretty revolutionary stuff. I gave up smoking it when I finished college because the bad thing about it was that it made me so paranoid out in public. I’d be driving down to the grocery store to pick up some munchies and I would think I was swerving all over the place when most likely I was driving straight as an arrow….all the while thinking that a cop was just around every corner you passed…..nearly had a heart attack.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I engaged in a twitter discussion last night after I read an article telling MLB to fix its drug rules. Here are my replies.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Mr. Roberts shows up at #13 on the TCN prospects list. In truth, I had Roberts pegged higher based on his fastball and slider ratings and yes, the pedigree. I don’t remember hearing about his strike 1 failed drug test. If I had, I forgot. That’s why strike 2 comes of a shock to me. It may be the end of the strikes, or is there a pattern? I hope the former and I’m NOT judging here. He goes into the same boat that Reyes is in… their count is full.

The thing is that it leaves me with the “what if” question in the back of my mind. That’s for all offenders of baseball’s policies. You can’t say “don’t do it” and they listen… its got to be them saying “I won’t do it”.

Honestly, if I knew that today Roberts would have two strikes… I would be inclined to drop his ranking. We have many other prospects without that particular piece of baggage.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Strike one failed drug tests are confidential

14NyquisT
    Participant

Thanks CC. I hate when I forget things, so I feel a little better.

While I’ve got your ear, what exactly happens at strike 3? How is it handled… if you happen to know.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not to try to turn this thread into a discussion about the legalization of marijuana, but there is a study that found that 9% of marijuana users become ‘dependent’ on it. And its more than 9% for high school kids that use the stuff. This means that, out of 100,000 marijuana users, at least 9,000 of them become partially dependent on somebody else to take care of them. They need help from the health care industry, or from a government or charitable agency. I don’t think anybody knows what it costs in terms of lost production and actual out of pocket medical expenses. But everyone living in the U.S. has to pay for this, one way or another.

If the MLB owners have the power to require minor leaguers to give back their signing bonus because of a drug violation, they should do it. At the very least the owners should figure out what it costs them in terms of lost production, and charge the player for that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville, do you know how low minor league player salaries are? They would make more greeting customers at the local Walmart. Roberts is an exception because he got a huge bonus. Most players get a few thousand dollars to sign and not much more per year.

I am not defending anyone breaking the rules, because they all know what the rules are.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, the third strike varies by type of drug. For drugs of abuse, the penalty is 100 games.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

do you know how low minor league player salaries are? They would make more greeting customers at the local Walmart. Roberts is an exception because he got a huge bonus. Most players get a few thousand dollars to sign and not much more per year.

This is a fact, but it isn’t like they are living a life of poverty. After all, these guys manage to keep their bellies full, a roof over their head, and a heavy stock of weed and beer (**this is in no way stating that ALL players do – but it is a higher percentage than Walmart greeters).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.