Gordon Graceffo

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Gordon Graceffo

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bob, I’m originally a central Illinoisan as well then moved up here after college. I used to go to Springfield (IL) Cardinals games back in the day, been a Cards lover ever since.

bccran
    Participant

Bob – In 2006, Adam Wainwright was in 61 games, with no starts. I don’t believe he was ever slotted to be a bullpen pitcher long term. Perhaps it’s a good way for a very talented starter to cut his teeth at the major league level.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Graceffo supposedly did a heavy off-season training regime that added about 4 MPH to his fastball. I’m hopeful some other system pitchers might see this and emulate him with similar results.”

Yeah, I hear you, C.C. Supposedly Graceffo is a highly motivated workout fiend. Very driven, dedicated. I guess I’m just a little leery about big velocity bumps in a relatively short timeframe. Seems they presage arm troubles with a lot of guys — at least I kind of recall John Sickels and other evaluators opining such.

“Villanova hasn’t exactly been a hotbed of baseball talent. This century, only 3 Villanova players have made it to the Major Leagues.”

“In 2006, Adam Wainwright was in 61 games, with no starts. I don’t believe he was ever slotted to be a bullpen pitcher long term. Perhaps it’s a good way for a very talented starter to cut his teeth at the major league level.”

Thanks for the Graceffo research, cranny. Didn’t realize Villanova’s hardball history was that dreary. Ugh.

And as for Waino and the MLB apprenticeship of minor league pitchers, I actually DO like the Earl Weaver Template, i.e., breaking in the future MLB starter as an MLB reliever — but generally, like with Jim Palmer, for multiple innings rather than the Jordan Hicks Model of “throw as hard as you possibly can, for as long as you can, before your arm falls off like in Saving Private Ryan.”

“Bob, I’m originally a central Illinoisan as well then moved up here after college.”

Sounds like me, ChiTown, right down to the early minor league games in Springfield (though my very first games featured the looong-defunct Decatur Commodores). Right after college it was Chicago for me, too. From 1984-2001 in Hyde Park, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village, and finally by Belmont & Western. Still get back there five, six times a year to see old friends, play poker, and generally misbehave.

bccran
    Participant

We lived in Glen Ellyn from 1974-1979. Really enjoyed the Chicago area. Sophistication of the East Coast, but Midwest people. I believe the winter of 78-79 still holds the all time Chicago record for the most snowfall. Brrr. One of the reasons why we moved back to St. Louis.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The ETA on Graceffo could be 2023 if continues his progress.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years