Front Office Extensions

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Front Office Extensions

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    MPWR2
    Participant

Free

Shildt sat Carpenter some but he continued to play Fowler daily when Fowler couldn`t hit a barn.

It seems to me, that Carpenter took himself out of the lineup to try to figure out what was wrong with his swing because he knew he was hurting the team, whereas Fowler whines about getting benched when he has an OPS of .576.

The only evidence I have supporting this is that when the Cardinals plated 10 runs in the first against Atlanta, Carpenter admitted that it was he who took himself out of the game to put Bader’s elite defense into the game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A very fair assessment I believe.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter agreed to go to the minors to try to get his swing back, which he was not required to do. On the other hand, I’d love to see the quote of Fowler “whining about getting benched.”

1982 willie
    Participant

well im not a fan of the extensions. shildt probably deserved it but there wasn’t a need to do it right now. look what the stupid extension for carpenter did for us. personally I don’t feel anyone in the front office deserves anything. yea they won the division but that was more about chicagos bad year and Milwaukee playing below expectations til the last month of the season in my eyes. any team recognition should go to shildt and the pitching staff if you are gonna dole any out. they aren’t ever really willing to go after really good free agents, Stanton was just a ruse and a poor choice anyway. I wouldn’t mind so much them playing this consistentcy of success thing if they drew about one and a half to two million fans a season, then that is probably at best what they would deserve. but they consistently draw three million and more, the fans deserve more for their dollars while the owners swim around in the money like scrooge mcduck. they gave carpenter a big extension when he didn’t merit it but they offer waino a basic sum and he had to earn his extra money. good for him, hopefully he doesn’t let them low ball him this year. no they don’t deserve any real praise or an extension. congratulations at best for a great year results wise but not an extension.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

they gave carpenter a big extension when he didn’t merit it but they offer waino a basic sum and he had to earn his extra money. good for him, hopefully he doesn’t let them low ball him this year.

Carpenter didn’t merit an extension after playing for well below his value for multiple years, including the one before his extension…ya know, the one where he was an MVP candidate. Yet Waino got his huge extension in 2014, had one good year, got hurt and was mediocre at best for 4/5ths of it…and yet after one solid average season he somehow got low balled. Yeah…you’re gonna have to explain this logic.

I’m not a fan of the Carpenter extension but I understand the logic. Two years would cover you through when Gorman/Montero/Nunez make the majors. He had signed a very team friendly deal and the Cards have been known to be generous that way (see Yadier Molina). The Waino extension that started in 2014 had the same logic and it didn’t work out either, although I haven’t heard many people talk about what a bad deal that was (he got almost $100M for one…one good year).

Then again, it’s not my money and if they’re going to spend it on middling players like Mike Moustakas, I’d rather they use it on guys that are from here as a thank you. It’s not like this team is one player away from being a “super team” anyway.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Off the field, I could have done without his profane tirade after the NLDS.>

Reminds me of the old saying “Lips that touch liquor shall never touch mine.” or maybe “People that live in glass houses should not throw stones.” (referring to myself) This was not a intended hit on any particular poster, just the idea itself.

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age there is this much discussion and apparent shock that a sports manager or participant uses foul language in places not intended for public consumption. Man I do that everytime I watch a Cards baseball game and sometimes forget my grand kids are in the area (they use more than I do).

It is the off season and the baseball writers are going nuts trying to earn paychecks by compiling meaningless lists of their guesses for whatever category of achievement. MLB is full of those daily. Most are just flat out guesses but today one Stat weenie did a hit piece on Marcell Ozuna. Most of his stuff was greek to me because I am not a Sabremetrics person (is that even spelled right). But I could tell he was having his jollies by knocking the guy for years gone past and this past season too. All of this after the Cards had offered MO a QO. For me the non-stat fan, I hope he resigns and has a banner year so he can demand a larger salary in his next contract. But then I really could not care less.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This was well-deserved and it is good to see DeWitt step up and keep the organization’s management stable. I hope they also used some resources to boost the admin’s and support staff. We do not know about that, but that is important as well – gotta show the people who work for you that they are valued.

There have been misses of course – the Carpenter extension being the most glaring to me. I can understand a little more bringing on guys from outside the organization, and then not having it work out. That happens. But they did not need to extend Carpenter yet.

But this group has done a lot more right than wrong. And they have addressed the offensive woes, bringing on Ozuna and Goldschmidt in back to back years. Both were bashers when they came here, only to regress some with the Cardinals. The unfortunate thing with Goldschmidt in particular, is his successor in Arizona looks like he will be better both on offense and defense over the next five years than Goldy. Then you also gave them Kelly, who may be better than Goldy. But that was a move we had to make and I liked it at the time. Hopefully it works out okay – I mean Goldy was decent this year. But like most of the Cardinals, they just do not put the ball in play enough.

Well I am rambling…..enough said.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When the Cardinals were looking to replace Heyward with a center fielder I was opposed to Fowler and by the way Ozuna who was playing center field for the Marlins at that time. Fowler was not a good center fielder in the chummy Wrigley outfield and I didn’t see him fitting in the pitcher friendly Busch.

I don’t fault Shildt for playing Fowler. He had a modest comeback season with a good OBP and a bit of power and improved defense in right field. However, I am not excited about him in the Cardinal outfield in the future. The question is, what were the alternatives, particularly down the stretch. Bader and O’Neill both have yet to see a low breaking pitch out of the zone that they didn’t like. Add to an under performing middle of the lineup and it does not take much to understand our offensive woes. Thomas has made a good initial splash and Arozarena has impressed but how many players make a good initial splash to sink into oblivion when the pitchers adjust to them. Very high risk to go to them in a high pressure situation that the Cardinals found themselves in from mid-August on. The Cardinals made a strong run to get into first place. So do you start messing with the lineup that got you there? I wouldn,t even though I suffer from the typical fan desire to always see new faces hoping they will be an improvement.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BikeMike said:

I hope they also used some resources to boost the admin’s and support staff.

Part of what was discussed in the press conference is an increased investment in the analytics department, new people and promotions.

If folks did not see it, the link to the complete video with DeWitt/Mo/Girsch is included in this article on the front page. If you are like me, you prefer to hear it in their own words and in context, rather than read someone else’s interpretation.

Cardinals Announce Contract Extensions for Mozeliak, Girsch and Shildt

MPWR2
    Participant

Free

The question is, what were the alternatives, particularly down the stretch. Bader and O’Neill both have yet to see a low breaking pitch out of the zone that they didn’t like.

Dexter Fowler was 2 for 33 in the playoffs, Harrison Bader was 2 for 12.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the season, Fowler’s OPS was .754. Bader’s was .680. What is your point?

14NyquisT
    Participant

I believe the team will stay away from Marcell Ozuna. This period of bad contracts is going to help Mo make sure he commits money more intelligently in the future.

“The period of bad contracts… help Mo make sure he commits money more intelligently in the future”. Someone obviously feels that Mozeliak will make a “comeback” just like Mozeliak is waiting for Fowler and Carpenter to be big in 2020.

Some fans are sick of all of the FO blunders. Their lack of confidence in him doesn’t bode well for the man responsible for improving our team. He is now gun shy on pulling the trigger on any sort of acquisitions except those with minor consequences. I think that this is fairly well understood by the Card faithful.

sheepdawg
    Participant

Free

It’s all God’s payback for Ernie Broglio.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Steve Carlton for Rick Wise was enough payback.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<sheepdawg wrote: It’s all God’s payback for Ernie Broglio>

I received an email of your original post regarding ONeil but it appears you have completely removed that and inserted this instead. But your post on ONeil may be fine but you just didn’t go far enough. The good points are accurate but you forgot to reflect the major negative – Strikeouts. That is the one part of his game that is keeping him on the bench and back to the minors periodically.

Edit: Oh now I see that you just moved the ONeil post to the Outfield Dilemma thread and inserted the one above here. Well I won’t bother to move mine as I thing the idea will be conveyed.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do you think the Front Office took notice that the Grandal and Moustakas contracts terms? The Final year of each contract is age 34 of the player.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.