Front Office Extensions

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Front Office Extensions

This topic contains 35 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    MPWR2
    Participant

Free
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cue the jokes about the premature contract extensions given out by this Front Office…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

wow comical at best…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From what i have read, it sure seems like they arent going to do much this offseason. At least in terms of adding payroll. I wish that meant more trades, but i have a feeling we will be seeing these moves or storylines:

-rotation will be good and needs no help with Waino coming back and CMart in the rotation
    -Moustakas added for either too much money or too many years…we will hear the nonstop drone of versatility and lefthanded power
    -Thomas or Randy will be the outfielders traded not Bader or ONeill
    -Fowler and Carp are going to rebound, and Goldy’s last season was an anomaly too
    -Yadi will get another year tacked onto his current deal
    -Carlson is the second coming of Pujols so we need no other offensive help any time soon
    -Wieters brought back for too much money or a 2 year deal
    -we will lose at least one player we dont want to rule 5 who will end up contributing

NostraJagerdamus has spoken!
    (at least the pessimistic version of him)

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Crazy talk to think that CMartinez can be a healthy SP ……..will he even rehab seriously this time after last offseason and his failure to do the work? Will Waino come close to 14 wins and 17-18 QS again? You just cant wish and make it so.Plan for the worst case scenario.Cmart isnt ready and AW is totally ineffective.Got to have another solid veteran innings eater who will keep you in the games.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Yes I watched it and Jager is correct. How depressing. Imagine watching this team hit like this all year and voice no REAL concern major changes are needed. An outfield that has no punch besides Ozuna and IMO he is gone as well.
    Mo will retire for his offseason NAP as will I as the average to poor baseball the great Cards fans have seen over the last four years seems to be the new NORM to management. If they prove me wrong I pray they do so.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Watching that shows the front office has no clue what so ever on how to put a team together.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well it shouldn’t be shocking that DeWitt did this considering we just made it to the NLCS. I can certainly understand the argument that there are some significant blemishes on the resume of the front office but they did achieve their stated goals for 2019. I’m not sure I would have doled out extensions based on one year of success out of the last four but it isn’t my money.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cue the jokes about the premature contract extensions given out by this Front Office…

If only they were jokes instead of real.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Looks like Bill Dewit turned into Oprah. You get an extension! You get an extension! You get an extension.

Who am I kidding, though?! They would have gotten an extension even if they missed the postseason.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Broken clocks getting paid!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

No comment.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would have extended Shildt but waited on the front office guys until I saw what they do about strengthening the Cardinal offense.

mspaid
    Participant

No surprise in an organization of mediocrity. Dewitt’s praise of these clowns reminds me of Churchill’s coment about Clement Atlee. “He goes from one failure to the next without losing any enthusiasm.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They Cardinals won the Division. What a bunch of sourpusses on this forum today.

I think Shildt should win Manager of the Year. To take a weak offensive team like this and, not only win the Division, but go to the final round of the playoffs is an incredible accomplishment. I can’t imagine another manager doing that with this team. He definitely deserved an extension.

I think MO deserves the credit for hiring Shildt. That was definitely a gutsy move. Will he be a better baseball manager than Carlos Beltran in the long run? Time will tell. I like Beltran a lot. I think he’s gets selected for the HOF as a player. But hiring Carlos Beltran was not a gutsy move. It was a popular move. Only five other GM’s pulled together teams that could win their Division. MO is in a tough place every offseason. If he does nothing, he gets hammered with criticism. If he signs Fowler, and Fowler doesn’t produce like Mike Trout, or at least as well as he did in Chicago, he gets hammered. IMO, the biggest problem for any GM is the guaranteed contract because the GM can never know what he’s really getting when he signs a player. If Fowler, or Carpenter, aren’t on guaranteed contracts, I would bet a bankroll to a button that Fowler doesn’t feel depressed for an entire season, and that Carpenter mysteriously finds his mojo sometime during the season. Of course, we’ll never know for sure. I think that during the next contract negotiations, the owners should hold out for as long as it takes to put an end to the guaranteed contract. I think that is the single most damaging thing that has happened to the game. I think the lack of intensity in the game is what turns people off, including the Millenials, and that the lack of intensity is caused, perhaps entirely, by the guaranteed contract.

I’m glad Girsch will be around longer. I’d like him to stay here long term rather than move onto another club.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I know it is often necessary for the top players but the NTC’s for Fowler and Cecil would have been deal breakers for me. Mo has boxed himself in with so many NTC deals

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agree with Mudville. Fans are fans but some just say stupid things. I think overall that the Cardinals front is good.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While certainly unhappy about how some contracts have played out and some trades have not worked out yet things could be a lot worse.Cards have their way of doing things and stick to it.They have triede to venture into big dollars a couple of times (David Price and Stanton) so its not unheard of .None of the FO guys are perfect nor is Shildt but generally do a good job (except for the refusal to see Fowler/Carpenter are not starter quality anymore).While hoping for a big trade for a bat or a good FA SP signing I expect a trade or two with one of the OFs and maybe a low-to-mid-level SP FA innings eater type and several minor league FA pitcher signings to add to the SP competition in Spring training.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt but generally do a good job (except for the refusal to see Fowler/Carpenter are not starter quality anymore).

I don’t really get this. Carpenter sat on the bench for most of the stretch run (and played well when he wasn’t on the bench) and Fowler was solid until he struggled in September. He was certainly better than noodle bat Bader.

I thought Shildt did a nice job managing his struggling veterans in the second half. My one criticism of his on field managing was his refusal to give Dejong more time off. Off the field, I could have done without his profane tirade after the NLDS.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ALready hearing sound bites from Moz about how they are anticipating Carp to turn it around and Lane thomas being an impact player

sounds a lot like signals for no big moves and no real change happening

(it’s not going to stop me from proposing them in other threads though)

Depending on the offense to “fix itself” is exactly what we did last year and look at what happened to the offense….bad to very bad and was the reason we didnt move on in the playoffs

not doing something active to fix the offense is a major mistake IMO

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that during the next contract negotiations, the owners should hold out for as long as it takes to put an end to the guaranteed contract. I think that is the single most damaging thing that has happened to the game.

Marvin Miller, who may be elected to the HOF this year, would turn over in his grave to hear that.

If the owners really went after guaranteed contracts in the next CBA you could safely bet there would be a long long long baseball stoppage. I don’t see them doing that.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

as for Shildt’s tirade…i could care less about what words people use…what i find problematic with it is that all the outward facing media stuff about Shildt is that he is super religious guy who takes his religion seriously and is such an honest and good guy. that he is some kind of saint…. yet behind closed doors (only reported by accident in hindsight by Randy) he is a foul mouth vindictive revenge fueled and inducing guy…

and that he came out after it was shared and said he wished it wouldnt have been seen is further indication of the twofacedness of him

and i personally dont care if a coach is foul mouth and revenge fueled…as long as the players are motivated and he isn’t attacking races or genders etc.

But putting forth a false image to the public of who you are and how you work is pretty rotten and distrustful…

They and he are trying to play the fans for fools….and they succeed most of the time it seems…. which is why i am distrustful of this leadership right now…they present one thing and do another…they say what we want to hear and then do something else…they say they will fix things, but their means for doing so are not active but passive

I actually miss Matheny… at least he was terrible with the media and didnt respond right to the media…even if he wasnt great he was who he was….he made mistakes didnt act as if they werent him and moved on……and he is rewarded with being fired…and they bring in a company man who will look and do everything the leadership want him to do and he will thank them for it…

want a super religious guy but not so much that he talks about it all the time so that the nonreligious folk wont turn away and so that you can still get the religious folk… sign up Shildt…is he ACTUALLY that guy…not really but he can be told and groomed to appear that way…. that is until Randy shows his true colors in that remarkable filming

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marvin Miller, who may be elected to the HOF this year, would turn over in his grave to hear that.

If the owners really went after guaranteed contracts in the next CBA you could safely bet there would be a long long long baseball stoppage. I don’t see them doing that.

Agreed, and I don’t understand how it benefits baseball to nix the guaranteed deals. Would this also impact rookies and guys who would otherwise be under 6 years of control? That’s about the only scenario I could see players actually agreeing to. ‘Cause then we are paying Flaherty $25M+ next year, which I’m sure he would be for. The downside would be that every player was a free agent every year and there’d be huge roster turnover. Good luck keeping Jack when the Yankees were throwing money at him.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STL25-Shildt sat Carpenter some but he continued to play Fowler daily when Fowler couldn`t hit a barn.That ticked me off.Plus the fact the waste of space Fowler is still sucking payroll.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

the NTC’s for Fowler and Cecil would have been deal breakers for me. Mo has boxed himself in with so many NTC deals

True that. Mozeliak hasn’t learned from his mistakes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years