Free Agents Next Year

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Free Agents Next Year

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals probably wouldn’t mind if Ozuna accepts the QO. A one year contract would not hurt them much and would give Carlson more time to get ready.

PadsFS
    Participant

My preferred pitcher to sign as a free agent is Madison Bumgarner.

Second would be Cole Hamels or Alex Wood. LH starters with upside that can burn some innings.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about Jake Odorizzi? He turns 30 in March was 15-7 .3.51 E.R.A. 159 IP 173 K 55 BB .
    Zach Wheeler 29 will be 30 next May.11-8 3.96 with Mets.195 IP50 BB 195 K WHIP 1.26
    both likely in the 12-15 Million AAV or maybe more.

A FA bat to consider would have to Moustakas
    .Lefty hitter who plays 1B-3B-2B.likely cost more than 15 million AAV
    33 HR 87 RBI 53 BB 98 K 30 doubles

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pads-Alex Wood only pitched what 5-6 games this season because of injury.there is the durability question.I like the fact that he is still under 30 but durable?
    As for Hamels..he is what 36 years old?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of Odorizzi and Wheeler, I like Wheeler better. Both will cost a good amount of money though.

Just say no to Moose. I honestly question how smart he is…to blunder like he has and cost himself $10+M two years ago and then do it again this past year (albeit costing himself less money) just seems like a poor decision making pattern. I’d rather not have that kind of player taking up payroll and playing time space. He’d probably hit 30 HR for us at a .220 clip and a .310 OBP. We could throw O’Neill out there and pretty well guarantee at least that for a whole lot less than Moose will make.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ST25-I wouldnt mind having one of them in the rotation.I think Moose could surprise.He actually played 40 plus games at 2B this season.He has some pop and isnt a big strikeout machine 53 BB 98 Ks this season.But there has to be some reason why he hasn`t gotten a long term deal unless its just setting too high expectations and not budging.I have never heard negative info concerning him as a teammate so maybe its just wanting too much money and a perfect situation…who knows?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Again, I hope Ozuna takes the 1 yr. qualifying offer and Fowler & Carpenter are bench players. Carlson starts in the outfield and Bumgarner is signed. We need an LH starting pitcher.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

BW52,

O’Neill has a 27% K rate in AAA. He has a 37.5% K rate in the majors. Thomas has a 25.5% K rate in AAA and an 18.2% K rate in a very limited time in the majors. His K rate for the last 2 years combined is 24 %.

At this point, I think Thomas has the greater chance of making contact than O’Neill. O’Neill seems to be regressing on his K rates. I would rather use O’Neill in a trade to acquire a useful upgrade in either prospects or something needed on the major league squad.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch- I like both TO and Thomas.I just think it would be dumb to trade ONeill before he ever gets a real extended chance at regular playing time.He has never gotten more than 2-3 weeks regular time.After being left off the playoff roster by Schildt in favor of Arozarena( who whiffed 75% of his playoff ABs and looked outclassed) it could be TO is trade bait.IMO trading TO would be premature and foolish.Keeping fading overpaid veterans bums like Fowler around and dumping young talent with a upside doesnt do anything except make the bum happy.

1982 willie
    Participant

well I say we let wacha go, it was nice but he is too injury prone. hopefully waino ad cards agree to do a one year deal similar to this years with incentives. I think both sides made out pretty good with that deal. I think ozuna even with his issues will get a better deal than a qualifying offer. hed be a pretty good designated hitter who could play field when needed. it wont bother me to see him go though I think he has a great attitude. his hustle is not always there. far as what we can acquire, ill have to wait and see whose out there. id like to see fowler gone and maybe carp but he was just signed to an extended offer and I think he deserves a shot to see if he can get it back. id like to see bader back as long a she gets the chance to earn a starting position. if he can raise his average 40 points or so he will be a solid player with his elite defense. I think oneil should be used in a trade. hes solid but a little injury prone. if we got rid of fowler, id be ok with keeping oneil, just don’t see it happening. talking about bader, if they are planning on not starting him, just trade him and let him get with another team whose hitting coach can help him. hes wasted as a bench player in my eyes. maybe he could do like grichuk and find his stride elsewhere. id rather him be our starting center fielder but sometimes things don’t work out.

npaw5
    Participant

Free

Think Odorizzi gives us a small hometown discount being from the Highland area?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sports Illustrated with their annual Top 50 Rankings, complete with “Best Fits” for each one. The Cards are listed as a best fit for a combined 1 free agent, #46 Adam Wainwright.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/24/baseball-free-agent-rankings

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interestingly that SI article lists the best fit for Ozuna as the Cincinnati Reds.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Can we add Rob Drake to the potential free agent list?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.