Fox Sports Midwest Coverage

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Fox Sports Midwest Coverage

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Being the new guy here I would like to ask for opinions of the Fox Sports Midwest announcing crew. I like Jim Edmonds a lot. He is the only non-pitcher they have to add color to a game and he is quick to point out good and bad points of some players. Brad Thompson is way too chatty for me. He seems to think that dead air over 1 second is a waste of time. Al Hrabosky has been relegated to desk duty this season so he and Erica are covering pre and post game which I rarely watch. I don’t think Ricky Horton is programmed for much TV time this season but I have become somewhat accustomed to his constant chattering. To be blunt, whenever McCarver is in the booth my mute button is activated. My blood pressure stays at a normal level and watching a ball game without any announcers is not so bad. Dan McLaughlin I could take or leave. In my view, he is a showoff who loves the viewer to know he has a photographic memory and doesn’t mind talking about it….for 3 innings…..LOL. If I have a major complaint about the TV coverage it is that they tend to wander off the game in front of them and get into the games and players of 40 years ago. Being in my 80th year I just don’t like them getting off the job at hand and reminiscing during the game, at least not for extended periods. If I had my druthers I would take Jim Edmonds and Danny Mac to be the fulltime announcers but I could really wish for a single booth announcer like Vin Scully….but that won’t happen. ESPN—-Let’s not go there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think you are totally spot on Minuteman.

Danny Mac can get a little over exuberant at times and sometimes is easily distracted by non-baseball items but overall is solid. Edmonds is great in the booth. He is one of the more insightful color men I have heard. I am also glad he is now an employee of the team, at least part time.

Thompson seems like a nervous nelly that tries to make up for his nervousness by talking 100 MPH. Ricky Horton is too much of a sunshine pumper for me. McCarver is ok. I respect him for being part of one of the best decades in Cardinal history (1960’s) and he sometimes has some useful insights but he tends to be dogmatic in his opinions and a little too demonstrative. He and Danny can sometimes wonder off topic easily. Al is probably where he needs to be in the pre-game and post-game studio.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Dan and I agree that Edmonds is very good. I think Horton is also insightful and seems to have a lot of fun with the broadcast. I like when he is on.

And I mute with a lot of broadcasts but listen to the Cardinal group quite a bit.

I think I listen to them more because they do talk quite a bit about interesting team stuff.

And I don’t mind the history stuff.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Danny Mac is very good.

Edmonds is dull and boring.

Thompson and Horton – fair.

Hrabosky is fine as far as I am concerned.

Chris Welsh from the Reds is excellent in my opinion. I like listening to him and Thom Brennaman.

McCarver is fine as well.

We have been spoiled by Jack Buck so lets not be too harsh on our announcers.

r/Rat

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I was not real happy with the Cardinals b’cast team (aside from Edmonds whom I really like) until I listened yesterday to the Pirates announcers. It made me a little more appreciative. I would go with Mclaughlin and Edmonds on a regular basis, with just a smattering of McCarver for a dash of nostalgia.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

To be blunt, whenever McCarver is in the booth my mute button is activated.

This. McCarver seems to think that players are significantly worse now than in his day because they strikeout more and hit for triples less. He can’t be bothered to see why that might be.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would rather hear Dick Vitale call basketball, and I hate listening to that “diaper dandy” than listen to Hrabosky ramble on.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Edmonds…

Minuteman3
    Participant

Gee it would be nice if those of us who chose to avoid social media could ask questions of Jen but she is locked into Twitter. MLB itself has gone away from non-social media members with respect to commenting on their writeups. Thanks to TCN we non-twitters can still be heard…..LOL Last time I asked MLB what happened to their comment boards I got a real snooty answer saying, in effect, if you don’t Twitter or Facebook – tough luck.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I tend to not be bothered much by any announcer, and never mute the game. But I do not have the volume too loud either. I like what each person brings, with some better than others. In checking “around the dial” on SiriusXM, I am usually impressed with most other teams radio broadcasters. There seem to be a lot of good, young talented baseball announcers out there that bring an intelligent, enthusiastic style to the game.

Specific to the Cardinals, the only guy that kind of grates on me a bit these days is Mike Shannon. He never has been the classic, smooth PBP man, but was real good teaming with Jack Buck as the color guy. But it has gotten to where his memory is not real good and the broadcast is choppy. Still he is Mike Shannon, so I do enjoy him for that.

On TV, I like McLaughlin. He’s intelligent, and a true fan with a good, clean style. Of the various color guys, McCarver is my favorite as unlike most people, I love hearing the stories about the old days. And Tim speaks his mind. Even if I disagree, I like that he is passionate about how he thinks the game should be played.

Edmonds has a quiet, low-key style and good judgement. He is very good. Horton is more exuberant, and very intelligent in his airplay as well. He teams up best with John Rooney. And speaking of Rooney, he is good as well – a veteran professional announcer.

Thompson is a bit on the chatty side as has been mentioned. I can take him or leave him.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years