Flaherty to 60-day IL

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Flaherty to 60-day IL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Jack Flaherty just sent to 60-day IL with return late August at the earliest. Wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t come back this year.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/cardinals-transfer-jack-flaherty-to-60-day-il.html

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

One more hope bites the dust.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cards do not normally shift someone to the 60 day DL until they need the 40 man roster spot.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That is correct. They needed the 40-man spot for McFarland coming off COVID IL.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Flaherty could be done but I thought after 3 years that Mikolas was done.

Mikolas hasn’t made it through the season yet but he has been really good and deserves far better than his 6-6 record.

I for sure don’t think Flaherty should be counted on to contribute this season so hopefully the Cards have an acquisition in the works.

We knew that counting on all of Flaherty, Mikolas, Hudson, and Wainwright to be effective starting pitchers this year was risky business and sure enough, 50% have not been.

Then there Matz, the one pitcher they did go get…..

So, 60% of the planned starting rotation has been out and / or ineffective for over half the season. Based on history this should not have been a surprise to anyone.

14NyquisT
    Participant

One more hope bites the dust.

Jeez, will we ever see Flaherty again in STL?

Do we pencil him in for the ’23 rotation?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they can’t find a pitcher like Castillo or a healthy Montas, then I’d just as soon go with Pallante, Woodford, Liberatore for that 5th rotation spot.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Rather have Pallante back in the pen to help out.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not counting on it, but if Flaherty can come back effectively, it would be great, as he could replace Hudson, and we’d have a 5 man group I’d really like.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Pallante or Woodford could replace Hudson right now and he could go to the pen or down to Memphis to work things out…

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

I agree 27, Flaherty likely starts in Hudsons spot, which is not a bad decision considering Hudsons IP spike from a limited 2021.

Start by start and see if Flaherty is right or not.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If Jack is close to his ability it will be like grabbing a great deadline deal hurler. I had counted him out for the year, but he could really give us a strong staff down the stretch and in to post season if healthy.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well?

What’s the latest on Flaherty?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well?

What’s the latest on Flaherty?

His rehab starts are going well. Next game he’s slated for 90 pitches, and he’s reporting no issues so far.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He will probably be activated within a week.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought I read Flaherty will get one more rehab start with a pitch count of 90. He so he could rehab this Friday, or Saturday, and return to start for Cards next week.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He is eligible to come off the IL on August 27. I would expect him to get one more minor league start then head to St. Louis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yep. As we shared in the St. Louis Notebook on Monday.

Flaherty is set to make one more rehab start in Memphis, likely this coming Friday.

St. Louis Cardinals Major League Notebook – Week of August 15-21

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Ok, so……I assume he will be back on the IL by early September then?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Brian, have you heard anything about Jake Walsh? If he is still hurt, the Cards could bring him up to the majors and put him on the 60 day IL to open a 40-man spot for Jack.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If a player gets called up, hurt or not, he gets MLB service time and pay. Not likely to happen.

However, as the Roster Matrix confirms, there is already one 40-man spot that opened up with McFarland was let go.

St. Louis Cardinals Organization Roster Matrix – 2022 Short Season

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So……how did Flaherty’s rehab start go?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any news in what is planned for Flaherty next? I’m guessing Hudson makes his start Tuesday, and Flaherty might take over Hudson’s next turn in the rotation.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless Flaherty is great (and healthy) down the stretch, I wonder if he might get traded this off-season, or at the next trade deadline? I believe the Cards have 0% chance of resigning him. Especially if a Graceffo pitches like he did at Peoria next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Flaherty will start for Springfield Wednesday. Target to rejoin rotation would be Labor Day.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.