First Game – line up talk

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum First Game – line up talk

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How soon will we have our very first game thread for this shortened 2020 season?

I cant wait, been looking forward to that for a long time!

r/Esteemed Rat

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

It will be nice.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Wont be long now!

Should be forthcoming very soon!

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Who will win the Golden Asterisk for this 2020 season?

Participant

Free

Line-up should be/will be
    Wong 2B
    Edman 3B
    Goldschmidt 1B
    DeJong SS
    Carpenter DH
    Molina C
    Carlson/Fowler RF
    O’Neill LF
    Bader CF

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Thats a bad lineup.

Participant

Free

That is an excellent line-up with Carlson.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m likely going to have to stream the game. At least I have MLBTV.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I meant the players are in the wrong spots. Not that the players are bad.

Wong should not be leading off.

DeJong should not be the cleanup hitter.

Carpenter should not be hitting 5th.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

I think the line-up and order are correct.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like Wong in the leadoff spot. I would probably switch O’Neill and Molina, but otherwise the lineup looks pretty good. If Bader can learn to be selective and hit again, I would like him at the second spot. But for now keeping him low is the right approach.

Not sure if Edman can approach his success from last season, but with the DH it will be a good time to give him a shot to play every day and see how it goes.

Participant

Free

I like Wong in the leadoff spot and as a “veteran” now he can handle it. O’Neill needs to be higher IMO also.

Any lineup with Fowler in it makes me cry/pout/whine/complain just a little, they have a DH this year meaning the pitchers spot isn’t an .100 hitter, but when Fowlers in there, they will get that .100 hitter. Alas, the RF lineup spot is just wasted.

Maybe I’m old school, but LF/RF/1B should always be either great all around players or at least really good bat spots.

If Fowler is hitting under .200 going into game 11, will they bench him? In the sprint of a season I hope so….

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Dex had a brutal Spring/Summer batting line, but hopefully that all changes with the meaningful games. He and Bader are the guys that need to step up if they are to hold their jobs. If not there are guys that look capable of taking their place.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’ll be something like the lineup for the Royals:

Edman 5
    Carpenter DH
    Goldschmidt 3
    DeJong 6
    Molina 2
    Fowler 9
    Wong 4
    O’Neill 7
    Bader 8

Participant

Free

BikeMike, I agree on both. Supposedly to gain the extra year of control in 2020, a player will need to be sent down for a week for them to gain the extra year (super 2). I had mentioned game 11, meaning through 10 games, that would be enough time to see how guys are doing in live action and be 1/6th of the season.

Regarding Carlson, someone will mention how the “Cardinals don’t play those games with manipulating service time”, but in a crazy season like this, when no one knows if the whole season will even get played, and the fact that he would only need to be down a week, I would have to believe if they were ever going to do it, this would be time time. Seeing what O’Neill has to offer is more than enough reason to do so, and we know Folwer and Bader are locks as of right now.

What would happen if he starts the year on the roster, and a month from now, there has been an outbreak throughout MLB and the season is completely called off? They would then only have 5 years left of him….

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty much the same line up as last year, minus Ozuna… pitching better be
    very, very good as this line up will not be scoring many runs!
    Could be a long season, or maybe a very short one.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards should have done some deals to get established hitters in the lineup… right now
    they have a bunch of unknowns, bad deals and wannabe come backs.
    The biggest dollar player needs to play like one at 1st base. Wong and DeJong are solid, and Edman
    is coming into his own. If Carp can continue hitting that is a big plus, but that is also a big if.?
    The outfield is a “?”. Carlson should be there NOW.!

Participant

Paid - Annual

What if O’Neill starts hitting, and hitting for power? We already know he can play defense and run fast. Would you want to bring Carlson up and sit him on the bench until one of the other outfielders plays himself out of a job?

Participant

Free

Mud, if I was a betting man, after a week or two into the season, I would easily bet that Fowler and/or Bader won’t be hitting enough to keep Carlson out. I’m very hopeful I’m wrong.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. It will come time when they have to eat Fowler’s contract, and play someone much better.

Participant

Paid - Annual

July 23, 2020 at 12:33 pm#133415REPLY
    Bob
    Participant
    Agreed. It will come time when they have to eat Fowler’s contract, and play someone much better.

This comment could have been posted in 2018. The move then would have saved a lot of negativism and angst in the organization. Fowler’s daily appearance just reinforces what you stated. Two more years of Dexter will be unbearable

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This comment could have been posted in 2018. The move then would have saved a lot of negativism and angst in the organization. Fowler’s daily appearance just reinforces what you stated. Two more years of Dexter will be unbearable

I guess you could always not watch…?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Game Card,

You nailed the lineup. Every player, every batting order position. You and Schildt were on the same page. Well done.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Totally agree. Well done, Game Card.

Participant

Free

Hey Rats wazzup- been hoping you’d be around for our 2020 season. Just gettin’ up for B-ball again. Talk to ya’ tomorrow night hopefully- later!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years