Fall instructional camp?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Fall instructional camp?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have not yet made their decision, but you know we are on it…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Has there been any progress made on what the AFL might look like this year?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nothing even semi official, but I doubt there is going to be an AFL.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like Brian needs to break out the ol’ pro scout uniform to get us some scoops here at TCN. Or find a contact who is a scout. Ha. I’m really missing having some info on how guys like Gorman, Montero, Liberatore, Thompson, etc are doing.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The tweet is a tad misleading. The article notes that teams CAN allow scouts in their instructional camps if they choose. But they cannot scout other teams unless they allow other teams’ scouts into their facility. I have already noted that if the Cards have instructional camp and let scouts in, they should do the same for those who bring the news about their players to you fans.

P.S. To clarify, scouts are not allowed in the alternate camps currently in operation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

…. and wouldn’t you like some info on the group that we just drafted? Will any of them hit the ground running, or will it take years for these kids to be able to show us something? The Cardinals 2020 draft class is loaded with high ceiling athletes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Walker and Winn are in Springfield now, but yes, an instructional camp could include many more.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I should have also mentioned (for those who cannot read the BA article) that another condition that MLB is requiring is that if teams have camps, they have to pay their players for their time at work. This revolutionary concept reportedly caused some teams to object to the proposal before it was finalized.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

How dare someone propose that the players get paid!

Participant

Free

Has there been any insight if we are having a fall instructional camp?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not yet.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there’s a camp, is it your intention to go, Brian? Of course, that’s assuming that they will allow media in some capacity.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Absolutely. They already have my request.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This has an overly-dramatic title, but the major point confirms what was already most obvious – no AFL in 2020.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just asked Mo about fall instructional camp. He said there has been no decision and there would be no camp until at least November.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Find the attitude for a chance for workouts strange compared to college football for example. Maybe it is a difference do to the sport involved but top college football teams will take everyday possible to practice.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

College (and pro) football is highly motivated to practice and play because of the huge amounts of money involved. On the other hand, minor league baseball is a major expense item. I don’t think fear of COVID is what is keeping the minors quiet for the rest of 2020. Apples and oranges, IMO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Note that all 15 MLB teams that train in Arizona have committed to fall instructional camps next month, including a coordinated schedule of games, unlike the Cardinals. That includes all three NL Central rivals – the Cubs, Brewers and Reds.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years