DeJong talks about his offseason work, mindset

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum DeJong talks about his offseason work, mindset

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt would not talk about the lineup during WWU. I know because I asked him directly. So if the team is not saying, none of the posters here know the answer either. Best anyone is going to be able to do is to try to guess what is going to transpire during spring camp. Who is going to step up?

For example, last spring, O’Neill hit four doubles and five HRs when no one else on the team had more than three long balls. But he also batted .230 and struck out at a 29% rate. Will he do it again? And if so, will he hit in the middle of the lineup?

I don’t want to stop the speculation, but no one knows what will happen, probably not even Shildt.

bccran
    Participant

MOTO bats –

2010 – Pujols and Holliday
    2011 – Pujols, Holiday, and Berkman
    2012 – Holliday and Beltran
    2013 – Holliday, Beltran, Craig
    2014 – Holliday
    2015 – Holliday (injured)
    2016 – Holliday (injuries)
    2017 – None
    2018 – Ozuna
    2019 – Goldy, Ozuna
    2020 – Goldy (so far)

Need another proven major league MOTO stick. We fell out of the playoffs with the Grichuk, Piscotty, Diaz, Adams, etc. experiments.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get your point, as the team is short of PROVEN guys. No debate from me about that. I would like to have seen another veteran hitter added, too, but it did not happen. Hoping for a trade for a proven middle of the order hitter before the season seems a very low-odds endeavor. I think more than likely, what you see is what you get – at least to open the year.

As an aside, in your view, how would a young player ever be allowed to step up and prove he belongs there? It seems unfair to the players now to assume they cannot rise to the challenge just because some others failed before them.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bccran, I couldn’t agree with you more. Besides Arenado, what true MOTO bat is available though? At this point, Carlson showing up mid year is going to be the best bet for that.

In a perfect world, Carp shows up “in the best shape of his life” and that holds true throughout the season and he can be plugged in at 4 (keep in mind the LHH and new minimum batter rule). If he could put up a .260 avg, .360 OBP, .460 SLG percentage with around 20 HR and 30 2B’s, I would take that all day long.

Those numbers are all below his career averages, so I don’t think it’s out of the question, but sadly he might be the best bet for the “4 hole hitter”.

Wong I think has to be in the 1 or 2 hole right?

Edman(RF), Wong, Goldy, Carp, O’neill (LF), DeJong, Thomas(CF), Molina would seem to be the best “on paper” lineup right now. That won’t happen, but Bader and Fowlers bats are such liabilities that they need to be on a very very short leash.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I like CFIC’s lineup a lot. You can bet that Shildt will use many batting orders as the season starts. Several different players at several different positions and several different batting orders. Don’t count on too many BOs being the same on any two days in a row.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whom do you have batting 3rd?

My guess would be Carp but that is just a guess.

I don’t know what the exact lineup will be so I don’t know why you keep asking me. My point was if we are counting on DeJong to be a major factor then I think we will be disappointed because I don’t think he is that kind of player.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Right now Edman is our #3 hitter. Who knows, he might thrive hitting in front of Goldstein. He did quite well last year. Maybe he can avoid the sophomore jinx.

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

When the Cards won the WS in 2006, they had Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds.

When they won the WS in 2011 they had Pujols and Holliday. Pujols had 118 RBI and Holliday had 103 RBI.

Where’s the production coming g from in 2020?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pujols only had 99 rbi’s in 2011. And he hit .299. If he would have homered in his last atbat in Houston on the last day of the season he would have ended up with 100 rbi’s and a .300 average.

Anyway, bccran, I share your concern. But I really believe Tommy Edman is going to be the #3 hitter. He might end up being like Tommy Herr.

Fowler
    Wong
    Edman
    Goldstein
    DeJong
    Molina
    Carpenter
    Bader

bccran
    Participant

Thanks for the correction, Rats. And I think your lineup is probably the best possible.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.