Dallas Keuchel free agent thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Dallas Keuchel free agent thread

This topic contains 23 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar atripleshyofthecycle 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My vote would be no on Keuchel unless it is a one year deal. We have enough players over 30 on multi year deals. If that is what we want then trade for Scherzer or Greinke. Those guys are still elite. I don’t think Keuchel is.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll go along with gscottar…unless it’s a one or two year pact, I don’t like it. Even if he signs as soon as possible, best case scenario is he pitches after the All Star break maybe? He’s likely better than what we are running with, but I just don’t see it being worth the cost.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even post AS break he might be worth it on a -year deal. It’s the path of least resistance and we only lose money.

Its still a gamble but at least it is short.

I dont like Keuchel but I think I understand this move for us.

Now if we go a trade for a controllable too end SP. I’d be fine with that too. Just no rental trades for MadBum without an extension

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just no rental trades for MadBum without an extension

Even though the rental cost is much lower? I feel like that’s the type of trade they’d make and I’d be extremely leery of extensions with how ours have turned out lately.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well if Keuchel is really willing to discuss a one year deal then I’m good with it. Otherwise, I would pass.

A Madbum rental would be interesting but I’m not sure he would be that much cheaper. The Giants will have many teams bidding for him.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Keuchel would check a lot of boxes for us. Innings eater, left hander, and decrease any rush to force feed Cabrera, Helsley, Reyes, etc.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I’ll go along with gscottar…unless it’s a one or two year pact, I don’t like it. Even if he signs as soon as possible, best case scenario is he pitches after the All Star break maybe? He’s likely better than what we are running with, but I just don’t see it being worth the cost.

What cost? Money? The Cardinals have shown the willingness to spend money foolishly at times the last 3 years. So if this is the risk you’re talking about then this is right up their alley.

It doesn’t solve the hit or miss issues with this offense but it checks off a couple boxes of needs. Veteran, lefty starter who can go 6+ innings on a consistent basis. If Martinez isn’t going to be moved into the rotation and if Reyes continues to labor in AAA. This is the move that needs to be made.

Honestly I think they should go after both Keuchel and Kimbrel.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

stl and gscott make very valid points. I just worry about signing a pitcher who hasn’t pitched in a game since last season without any spring training. look what happen last year with holland. As far as a starter< I think madbum would be the best choice because he has playoff exp, and being that he’s only 29, we can sign him to like a 5 year deal. Scherzer is the sentimental choice being he’s from stl and would be a great fit to our rotation, I’d still go with Madbum because he’s a lefty, has playoff experience, we can get him long term. only question is who do we risk giving up in the trade?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I say plan A is to go after Keuchel and Kimbrel on short deals. Plan B sign Keuchel and trade for a second lefty reliever like Diekman, Smith, or Watson.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Boras has trouble getting the contract he’s been promising his clients, there’s going to be an onslaught of talk about how the owners are colluding. It will be interesting to watch and see which GM is the first to roll over.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think both Keuchel and Kimbrel will be signed by the end of the week.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

stl and gscott make very valid points. I just worry about signing a pitcher who hasn’t pitched in a game since last season without any spring training. look what happen last year with holland. As far as a starter< I think madbum would be the best choice because he has playoff exp, and being that he’s only 29, we can sign him to like a 5 year deal. Scherzer is the sentimental choice being he’s from stl and would be a great fit to our rotation, I’d still go with Madbum because he’s a lefty, has playoff experience, we can get him long term. only question is who do we risk giving up in the trade?

You can’t be positive that someone won’t outbid us for madbum in either instance of a trade and in FA.

IMO the Giants are going to want A near ready starting pitching prospect and a near ready OF prospect in return. You can figure out who they’d likely want as the OF. Near ready pitching prospect not so sure of. Maybe even more than that.

Dallas costs us only money. Nothing more!

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What is the reason Dallas and Kimbrel haven’t signed. Have they been selected to be poster kids for supposed owner collusion leading into the next negotiation.

What are their demands and how reasonable are they.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What is the reason Dallas and Kimbrel haven’t signed. Have they been selected to be poster kids for supposed owner collusion leading into the next negotiation.

I am operating under the assumption that their initial contract requests were way out of bounds market wise. Teams decided to wait until the prices dropped then the teams decided that they might as well wait until the draft pick compensation went away so here we are.

There were rumblings about collusion back in the winter. I haven’t heard much about it since Machado and Harper signed and the season started. I’m sure the MLBPA will try to negotiate some changes in the next CBA but we really don’t know yet how contentious it will be.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am operating under the assumption that their initial contract requests were way out of bounds market wise. Teams decided to wait until the prices dropped then the teams decided that they might as well wait until the draft pick compensation went away so here we are.

I feel like I read that Kimbrel wanted 6 years and $100 million. Kuechel was after 5 years and recently seemed to indicate he wasn’t going to budge. That makes it difficult on teams to really want to negotiate with these guys. Maybe they back down, maybe not. I’d be surprised if either could get more than 3 years at this point.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If that is all the deal is for and Keuchel would have been willing to sign with the Cardinals, Mo/Girsch made a mistake by not making a strong play for him. However, we don’t know if he really wanted to go to the Braves or maybe didn’t want to sign with the Cardinals. He would be worth $17 million on a 1 year deal.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2/3 of $17 million (the part of the season remaining) would be roughly $11.4 million, so he got maybe a million and a half more according to that valuation. That assumes he will be MLB-ready soon. The longer that takes, the less the Braves get for their $13 MM. The Astros, who knew him best, felt he was worth between $12 and $15 MM for a full season, per the reported offer.

This next winter, he has no qualifying offer attached.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

And another potential player in the WC race gets stronger. While we do jack!

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Sadly it’s so what else is new…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

LoL shows how much the Cards really in a Win Win Win state…..

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

There is no way Keuchel is worth only $3.5 million less than Fowler. 😉

The real Dallas Keuchel would have helped a lot, but it’s a gamble when you sign someone two months into the season who isn’t ready. There is a decent chance he’s not good this year. If we really want him, we have a chance this winter.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years