Corner Outfielders

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Corner Outfielders

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 year ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Memphis – Randy Arozarena, Justin Williams, Adolis Garcia

Springfield – Victor Roache, Johan Mieses, Blake Drake

Palm Beach – Shane Billings, Dylan Carlson, Conor Capel

Peoria – Nick Plummer, Bryce Denton, Brandon Benson, Justin Toerner

State College – Lars Nootbar, Walker Robbins, Kevin Woodall

Johnson City – Brandon Riley, Leandro Cedeno, Andrew Warner, Sanel Rosendo

GCL Cardinals – Victor Garcia, Jhon Torres,

DSL Cardinals – Jean Selmo, Darlin Moquette, Diowill Burgos

The cool thing is that a number of these players can also play center field.

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Good list. Its missing Terry Fuller.

Side note: I’d be very surprised if Walker Robbins is still in the organization come this time next season.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Toerner, Torres, and the kids in the rookie leagues are about all that I can see that might eventually make it to the top.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

Chris Rivera turned from INF to C to P and he’s still in the org. I think it would be foolish to drop a guy with Robbins’ pitching background, handedness, and size before his 21-year-old season. I don’t know, maybe he only throws 85 MPH and is a lost cause, but he was an actual pitching prospect prior to getting drafted.

Perfect game, 18 SOs for example.

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/article64217532.html

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

“They were telling me your arm is always going to be there, so if something does happen with your hitting you can always come back and try pitching,” he said. “If you take three or four years off of hitting, it’s kind of hard to come back and get the feel for it again. If you take four years off pitching, you’re always going to feel that arm.”

I’m pretty sure he’ll get a crack at pitching. It also says in the article that he gets it into the low 90s.

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/high-school/article197210229.html

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Cedeno and Torres start at Peoria. Their spring and their health will dictate that. And if Gorman starts there also, that ought to be a powerful lineup.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What’s not to like about Darlin Alexander Moquete? I think this kid has the potential to blossom into quite the nice player. It’s not hard to envision this fine talent swipping 50+ bases on a regular basis once he becomes acclimated.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TLB, there are two Chris Riveras. The catcher is out of baseball as far as I know. The pitcher was drafted in the 33rd round this June from Long Beach State.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

Thank you for the correction. I just assumed it was another position change and missed that draft pick.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice post about Robbins. I’ve been paying attention to him and wondering why because he never seems to put anything on the table. The lesson here seems to be ‘Patience, patience, patience’.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are a number of intriguing guys on the list. Carlson has held his own at Palm Beach at 19 and seems primed to make a big jump at Springfield if his power comes around. Arozarena has had a rough time at Memphis, but he tore up Springfield in only his second year stateside. He could see a jump next year. Garcia is probably a 4th OF with pop and a good arm at best, but that’s not a bad result.

The three guys we acquired at the deadline all have some interesting talent. Williams and Capel have that Lane Thomas potential to be big risers with power and some speed in their toolset, although it hasn’t quite shown as much lately. Torres might be the steal of the deadline…big, fast and powerful. He could be good.

Recent draftees Riley, Warner and Toerner have all had successful debuts and 2019 will expose what we have there moreso. Past “it” guys like Plummer, Denton, and Robbins have stalled out and will need to get a move on to stay as prospects at all. Cedeno and Victor Garcia have power potential which can always get a player to move up the ladder. And there’s Shane Billings who has hit for a decent average without much in the way of on base skills lately who maybe can sneak onto the radar next year.

All in all…that’s a tough group to rank.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

At the head of the class is AGarcia-Carson-Arozarena-Torres-Cedeno-Capel-Toerner-Riley. I’m not impressed with the rest.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard

Side note: I’d be very surprised if Walker Robbins is still in the organization come this time next season.

I can’t imagine that they would give up on a guy that they went overslot for and dropped $450k on. Steven Farinaro and Steve Bean are the only ones close to that amount that they have dropped since the 2012 draft that I know of.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Robbins received $134K over slot. Many have gotten more than that over slot in recent years.

2013: Mercado, Collymore, Farinaro
    2014: Flaherty, Dobzanski
    2015: Woodford, Denton, Oxnevad, Schlesener
    2016: Jones, Jeremy Martinez, Whalen
    2017: Wilberto Rivera, Donivan Williams, Zach Jackson
    2018: Gil, Gingery

Those who got more than $450K to sign AND more than $134K over slot:

2013: Mercado, Farinaro
    2014: Flaherty, Dobzanski
    2015: Woodford, Denton, Oxnevad
    2016: Jones, Martinez, Whalen
    2017: Jackson
    2018: Gil, Gingery

Source: 2018 TCN Prospect Guide

The following does not relate to Robbins, who was a fifth-rounder, but it is related to going over slot, and since I am thinking about it…

For those who are members, I did an analysis earlier this season on how the Cards going overslot for post-10th rounders in recent years has been a bust. Apparently the organization drew the same conclusion because they did not do this once in the 2018 draft, for the first time in a number of years. I haven’t talked about it with Randy Flores yet, but I doubt he would admit the practice failed.

Cardinals Extra Spend on Late Picks Yet to Pay Off

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years