Cooperstown Class of 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is this year’s veterans ballot. Lee Smith gets another chance.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More info from the Hall, including bios and the voting process.

https://baseballhall.org/todays-game-era-ballot-2019

The 16-member Today’s Game Era Committee is comprised of Hall of Fame members Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven, Pat Gillick, Tony La Russa, Greg Maddux, Joe Morgan, John Schuerholz, Ozzie Smith and Joe Torre; major league executives Al Avila, Paul Beeston, Andy MacPhail and Jerry Reinsdorf; and veteran media members/historians Steve Hirdt, Tim Kurkjian and Claire Smith. Hall of Fame Chairman of the Board Jane Forbes Clark serves as the non-voting chairman of the Today’s Game Era Committee.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Steinbrenner doesn’t belong in the HOF. They should find a place for him and Justice Sonia Sotomayer in somebody’s Hall of Shame. They are the two who did the most to drive salaries and ticket prices through the roof.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Davey Johnson and Lee Smith go in, for me.

Big Lee compares favorably in most ways to previous enshrinees like Gossage & Sutter & Fingers, and also scores a robust 127 on Bill James’ Hall Of Fame Monitor, where 100 = likely Hall Of Famer.

I don’t think Davey Johnson requires a supporting argument.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lee Smith ,Joe Carter Hershiser,Belle deserve it. Will Clark just short for me.Davey Johnson meh……teams had loads of talent.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Harold Baines was a wonderful offensive player, but there was a reason he DH’d so much. He is sort of a poor man’s Vada Pinson. If Pinson is not in, which he is not of course, then Baines certainly should not be enshrined.

Albert Belle was a beast, whose career was cut short. Another “no field” guy, but a hitter of the same type as the classic old timers like Jimmie Foxx and Rogers Hornsby.

Joe Carter pails in comparison to Belle.

Davey Johnson and Lou Pinellia are similar to Joe Torre – good players who had even more success managing. Joe was a better player than either one though, and had an even more successful managerial career.

I like Will Clark and Orel Hershiser a lot, but they fall just short for now.

Thus I go with Belle and Lee Smith.

Steinbrenner was an egotistical big-mouth who owned the most revered franchise in sports. He certainly played the part well though, to the point he was almost a mythical character. I have to put him in.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

How many get in?

Belle was known as a complete jerk. Then again if Ty Cobb is in the hall then I guess Joey Belle can get in.

Baines was a really good hitter but limited in the field and AL.

Carter had some great seasons. Touch em all Joe is remembered mostly for that moment. Similar to Bill Mazeroski except Carter was an offensive weapon and Bill was just offensive.

Orel had that streak and has a title under his belt for that 88 squad that defied the odds and beat the Mighty Mets and Athletics.

All those players are worthy. IDK about Pinella and Manuel though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In both the Veterans and regular HOF votes, 75 percent or higher is needed for induction. Veterans have 16 members on the committee. BBWWA members with at least 10 years make up the main group – over 400.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Steinbrenner doesn’t belong in the HOF. They should find a place for him and Justice Sonia Sotomayer in somebody’s Hall of Shame. They are the two who did the most to drive salaries and ticket prices through the roof.

The owners unilaterally eliminated free-agent negotiations and salary arbitrations while both sides were negotiating a new collective-bargaining agreement. Sotomayer put an injunction against the owners which then the players agreed to return to work while the new CBA was being worked out. Furthermore, I’m sick about hearing players making too much money blah blah blah. Team owners rake in tons of money through multiple revenue streams and the players aren’t supposed to paid? That’s hogwash. As for Steinbrenner, sure he’s not a lock for the HOF and has had 2 opportunities in previous ballots and failed to garner enough votes. But its disingenuous to ignore how he oversaw the construction of Yankees turning into the Evil Empire and a dynasty of the 2000’s.

On another note, until the HOF Board of Directors and the BBWAA agree to do away with the foolish 10 vote max rule and switch to a binary rule there will never be a unanimous vote for any player.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I give the writer, Bill Madden, credit for explaining his vote, but man, his logic is a train wreck.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Bill Madden is a scab and I have a lot of other not nice things to say about him. His logic behind this votes pretty much sums up all you need to know about him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An Athletic subscriber article, but what is shown here is enough for you to get the gist.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Polanco, here are headshots of him when a Cardinal and later as a Tiger.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wow I guess I never realized how Polanco had a Franken-head.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rolen comes in around 70 WAR on both BR and Fangraphs, which is almost identical to Ron Santo.

I have always championed Ken Boyer for the Hall as well. He comes in a bit under those two in terms of WAR, somewhere in the 55-62 range depending on where you look. But he had more intangibles than the somewhat condescending Santo and sometimes moody Rolen. He was a leader-type player, which neither Santo nor Rolen were. He was also faster and a much better base runner than the plodding Santo. And he arguably turned the 1964 World Series around with the grand slam in game four.

Both Rolen and Boyer belong in Cooperstown, especially given the fact that third base is a position where it is tough to make it as a Famer.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For all, there is one big difference. Rolen is on the current sportswriters ballot while Boyer would have be considered by a Veterans committee.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Joe Posnanski sounds confused.

The museum portion of the Hall Of Fame does indeed already tell the complete, sprawling, flawed, sometimes ugly story of baseball. I’m lucky enough to have been to Cooperstown, and they don’t hide the steroid era in the basement under lock and key.

We needn’t bestow baseball’s highest honor on a handful of extremely successful drug cheats in order to acknowledge all of baseball’s complex history. I see it this way: No one in their right mind has suggested that Marion Jones be inducted in the Track and Field Hall of Fame, or Lance Armstrong be inducted in the Biking Hall Of Fame. (Yes, such places do exist.) These individuals are rightly viewed as a disgrace to their sport — and sports in general. There has never at any moment been a debate about this.

And yet, plenty of otherwise reasonable people drape themselves in misplaced sentimentality and pine to see baseball’s most effective drug cheats honored alongside Mays and Mantle, Koufax and Gibson, Brock and Broglio. (Oops, that’s right. Broglio didn’t quite get there. Sorry, Cub fans.)

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Albert could have been the “Belle” of the ball if his head had been in the right place. One must wonder if he’s grown up since leaving the game? For his own sake, I hope as he reflects back on his playing days today, the thoughts “horse’s ass” and “I can’t believe I did that” spring forth.

I’ll take Lee Smith and Orel.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lee Smith and Harold Baines elected HOF by veterans committee.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.