Chris Taylor free agent thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Chris Taylor free agent thread

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB.com Dodgers beat writer Juan Toribio connects the Cardinals to free agent infielder Chris Taylor.

“With the Dodgers looking to bring back most of their 12 key free agents, retaining Taylor could be tricky for Los Angeles. The utility man is drawing interest from the Red Sox, Cardinals, Rangers, Giants, Marlins and others, according to sources. The Dodgers are also in the mix.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/corey-seager-chris-taylor-decline-dodgers-qualifying-offer

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it’s more interesting that the Cards are listed among the teams in on Correa and Seager. Seems odd to be beside the Dodgers, Yankees and Rangers there.

Also, Chris Taylor as a standout piece is a bad idea. I don’t see him as much of an addition and will cost the draft pick. Consider me puzzled as to why we’d sign him.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see a fit here. I think we need to give ABs to Nootbaar, Yepez, Burleson, before signing a free agent. Walker might also change positions down the road.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Consider me puzzled as to why we’d sign him.

Ha, the obvious reason is Mo wants to eliminate the possibility that any future seasons end with a Taylor walk-off HR against the Cards.

I wouldn’t sign him either.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He will be to pricey for a UT.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would be interested in driving up the price of every free agent out there.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Walker might also change positions down the road.

Its almost a given that he will be changed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Chris Taylor a lot but not at the price he will be looking for and not with losing a draft pick. I would rather spend that money on pitching.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see the need for him. I don’t think he is enough of a upgrade to offset the negatives.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Doesn’t Taylor strikeout about 10,000 times a year? Seems like he led the majors in Ks, or was pretty close.

r/Esteemed Rat

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Maybe the FO doesn’t want O-Neil or whoever to be lonely in the SO department…

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Edman is Taylor light…… hard pass. One of the SS or a pitcher is the biggest need.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Taylor has been a good contributor for the Dodgers. His career slash line is .261/.337/.443/.779 per BR. He offers versatility and availability. All are good, but I am leery. Not sure he is worth $20M a year when there are other gaps that need to be closed.

Also, cannot help but wonder how much his performance has been helped being a part of the Dodgers versus any other team.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s crazy to me that the Cards would even think to pay what it will take to sign Taylor (4-5 years at $15-20M a year) but balk at a true upgrade like Story or Seager because the cost will be too high.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Again, Taylor is a very valuable player but not at the rumored asking price. 3 years at $13M/year would be more appropriate for him, but it is a moot point because the Cardinals have more important needs than SS or CF in my opinion. Spend it on Stroman.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like Chris Taylor – can play almost anywhere and offers decent production. But like others here, I do not see the cost/benefit as being strong enough to bring him here. A major upgrade over Matt Carpenter, but we look to already have that with the young guys, meaning Sosa or DeJong and possibly Gorman as good infield depth, then you have Nootbar and maybe Yepez as outfield fill-ins. Now I will admit, DeJong is trending down and could be a right-handed Matt Carpenter, and not offer much help. If he is not dealt then 2022 will certainly be his last shot to regain some of his early production. If you sign Taylor then you really need to deal DeJong.

I don’t see enough upgrade from Story to ink him to a mega deal. Seager and Correa would be nice to have, but far too pricey for us. And I do not see the need to go crazy folks, on a shortstop. Although I am in the minority on that opinion.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

What the others have said. Lot of money for utility. If they aren’t going for major upgrades I Would rather see Gorman get his shot and Edman fill that utility role.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Taylor’s signing might cause the Dodgers to shed some payroll? Or after Kershaws departure maybe payroll isn’t strained?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think their payroll could potentially be very strained because of the situation with Bauer. Not even the big budget Dodgers want to be stuck with a $35M salary for a player who can’t play. Of course if he is suspended then I assume they wouldn’t have to pay him, similar to Cano last year with the Mets. They are just waiting on MLB and the courts to decide what is going to happen.

Depending on how that shakes out they might be willing to move a guy like Bellinger.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years