Carpenter & Martinez Declined

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carpenter & Martinez Declined

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Redbirds decline their options for 2022. Saves about $35M.

Two good moves in my humble opinion. Carpenter was a given and I was hoping they’d wave goodbye to Carlos Martinez as well.

My apologies if this is posted somewheres else.

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

It was time, now to hope they spend the money wisely…..

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes sorry to say but it is time to move on though they could still sign them.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Miler will also be a free agent, saving the team 12.5 million.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

How much do the Cardinals save on the Dexter Fowler contract in 2022?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe the Cards paid in the range of $14.75M of Fowler’s contract in 2021 (per Baseball Reference and Cots).

bccran
    Participant

Thank goodness. Carp, CMart, Miller, and Fowler were a huge waste of money in 2021.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I’m every team has contracts like this but NY, Chicago, Boston, LA and probably a couple of others can shrug them off a lot easier than other franchises…

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Great to see this. All are done here.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’m happy about the Martinez departure. Less so about Carp. He had a lot of good years with us and I’m sorry to see it end on such a sad note. On the other hand a million-dollar plus handshake ain’t such a bad way to say “au revoir.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A minor point, but this hasn’t happened yet. It remains expected.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So, if indeed Carpenter, Martinez, Miller, and Fowler are off the books and the numbers posted here are correct that means the Redbirds have freed up about $60M in salary. Correct?

So…….someone then explain to me why Seager, Correa, Story couldnt be a prime target?

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think it really works that way Rat. No one ever talks about the players getting a raise.

Arenado, Waino, Yadi, DeJong, Flaherty, Bader, Reyes, Hicks, Hudson, and Gallegos will all be paid more by the Cardinals in 2022 than in 2021.

By my calculations, using Cot’s arb estimates and including league minimum players, the Cardinal payroll currently sits around $132M. That doesn’t include bringing back guys like Garcia, McFarland, LeBlanc, Happ, Lester, Kim, etc…

What we don’t know is what the Cardinal budget is going to be in 2022. Is it going to be $170M, which is close to what it was before the pandemic or is it going to be in the $145M to $150M range, which is what it was this season? We might not have as much cash to spend as you would think. We don’t know what their budget is going to be.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

In addition to increased salary going to other players, I believe the Rockies more-or-less paid Arenado’s salary this year with the cash they kicked in. So the Cards will be paying that as well going forward.

Plus player salaries are only one part of a club’s finances. Maybe the club would like to allocate some cost savings elsewhere as well, such as debt service, non-player bonuses, facilities improvements, etc.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So…..by going big and signing someone like Seager we would then get into the Luxury Tax. Or am I way out in leftfield again?

Din-din today was the weekly trip the the amish restaurant, the Gasthof. Had a hot young redhead for my waitress. After I dined I smoked a cigar out on the porch area. Then the next thing I know sirens could be heard everywhere. Then I heard a helicopter. Apparently a young amish boy was kicked/stomped by a horse and he had to be lifelined.

r/Esteemed Rat

mspaid
    Participant

Free

The 60 million is suggestive but misleading at the same time. 26 million will go to Arenado. Around 14 million will go for raises and arbitration. 8 million will go to Wainwrights increase. Now, we are down to 12 million to spend. Can we get Seager or Story for 12 million? let me think…No. They’ll use the 12 million for bullpen and bench upgrades. Now, all of the 60 million dollars are gone. Will Junior then raise the payroll to 190 million so we can get Seager or Story? let me think…no. The CBA thing will likely keep some teams from making moves at least for a while. The Cardinals may do nothing until the labor agreement is reached. Now, some teams will make moves with or without a CBA. The result being there won’t be much left of any value. Junior’s not worried…he has enough to go 2022 right now, at least in his mind. Could be a slow off-season for the Cardinals.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think mspaid has it about right. I’m not expecting any big news but would always like it. Now if we get a new owner, things could change. I just think with these owners, it’s going to be a while before you can look at the Cardinals on paper and say this team has a real shot at winning it all like you do with the dodgers or some other teams. With our boys, it’s a lot of hope and if things go right then maybe we can make a run.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals are never going to get close to the luxury tax. That is not their style.

And why anyone would want to pay Seager $25M per year to sit on the IL is beyond me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years