Cards Playoff Odds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards Playoff Odds

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Although they seemed to be better when they had a set lineup including Molina, Carp, Wong, DeJong,
    Gyorko, Pham, Fowler, and Martinez, I agree that they need a bat in the middle of the lineup that’s fearsome. They thought Grichuk might fill that bill, but he hasn’t. I guess the main question is whether they go outside or think O’Neill is ready and want to give him a shot.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think we got the answer for this off-season when O’Neill was not added to the roster in September. My interpretation is that they do not think he is ready yet. Maybe a big spring will help accelerate his progress, but they have to make their winter moves long before spring training.

To another point you made earlier, I hope they do not use the thought of “blocking” O’Neill from getting the offensive help they clearly need now. After all, there are three OF spots. If O’Neill steps forward in 2018, there should be room – or room could be made. But don’t stand pat now because of the promise of a yet-unproven prospect.

bccran
    Participant

O’Neill is a little different than most position prospects they’ve had over the past 10 years, with the exception of OT. Huge ceiling bat. If Fowler and Pham are set for several years, how do you plug a 3 outfielder in on a multiyear contract without creating blockage? Have O’Neill try to beat out Fowler or Pham?
    Assuming he can beat out Bader?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think you are more excited about O’Neill than many. Taking a look at unbiased observers, nationally, he and Bader are ranked comparably, in the upper 80s according to MLB Pipeline. In comparison, OT was a consensus top five prospect in MLB. Maybe O’Neill will further rebound in the future, but his stock was way down before the trade.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I would compare O’Neill to jay buhner. Lots of k’s. Will catch a few square.

Good defense in right.

If he hits .270 and keeps the walk rate up he is a major asset. If not, we will see.

He could be one of the bat upgrades… But I wouldnt put him in the pujols stanton trout territory and he isnt the big bat people want.

That doesnt mean he is a bad asset. He seems to be a very good one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yep, a good asset, but not one I want to count on for Opening Day 2018.

Interesting name, Jay Buhner. I went back and looked at his career. It took him five years of ups and downs at the MLB level before earning a starting role. But once he did, he stayed for almost a decade. Made one All-Star team. Not a bad complimentary player to A-Rod, Griffey and Edgar Martinez – but he wasn’t on par with them…

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

People on this forum and the one at Cards Talk salivate at Wisdom and O’Neil based on home runs alone and don’t take into account their K rate and their low batting average.

bccran
    Participant

I guess I tend to be a bird in the hand vs. two in the bush type of person. Make the best of what you’ve got, knowing that there are a whole bunch of teams that may want to make a play for a Stanton, Donaldson, Hosmer, etc. Also factor in where they might want to play. Maybe they want to stay where they are because their family is settled, or go to a place their family would like to live. Doesn’t mean you don’t try.

I had hoped the Cardinals would make a play in a trade for a top line near major league ready minor leaguer like the Cubs have with several future core players like Russell. When they made that trade for O’Neill, maybe I got too exuberant. Don’t think so, though. I take into account his 2016 numbers at Jackson and look at 2017 as a learning experience at the AAA level playing against guys who are 4-5 years older than he is, including many who have had major league experience. I like his combination of power and speed.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years