Cards DH ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

so if the NL goes with the DH this year who are you thinking to be a good fit ? I personally think Carlson rotating in the outfield/DH spot with Oneil would be a decent option. Or Ravelo who seems like JMart part 2 to be a good option

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Carpenter the majority of the time, unless his bat benches him. Edman at 3B improves the infield D and helps open up the OF for the two players you mentioned above. But it will probably be multiple players, for multiple reasons.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a good topic to discuss but my feelings are that too much can happen before there are actual baseball games being played so this gets placed in the long-term speculation file.

If you want to talk about right now…. Carpenter (if he can return to better days) and Fowler (same thing) would stand out in my mind. Edman at third, yes. If there are three OF positions manned by younger players they will have to step up to earn those spots. All of them would be a defensive upgrade over Fowler.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I discussed this with DannyMac yesterday and offered some follow on thoughts via Twitter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would do a rotation of Ravelo, Carp, and Fowler at DH. Getting Carp and Fowler off the field defensively would be a plus. Also, Yadi might get a game or two at DH to keep him fresh.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would do a rotation of Ravelo, Carp, and Fowler at DH. Getting Carp and Fowler off the field defensively would be a plus. Also, Yadi might get a game or two at DH to keep him fresh.

This is almost exactly what I’d do. Maybe I’d sub in Carlson or O’Neill a couple of times to keep them fresher in the field.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think Molina is fresh enough he doesn’t need to be fresher by DHing. If he isn’t catching, he wouldn’t be playing for me. Too many better choices offensively and no reason to spend his bullets hitting if he is not behind the plate. JMO.

Also, I would have Carlson and Thomas/O’Neill in my rotation before Ravelo. I would use Ravelo more as a PH or late-game replacement. Again, JMO.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would imagine the Cards DH would be shared, but Carpenter would do most the DHing to start. Edman could play third. That is, of course, presumes that Carpenter will hit enough. It also means we will likely have 3 more years of Carp because he is likely meet his vesting option due to increased ab’s.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Carpenter’s back is healthy, I cannot see him becoming a DH primarily.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years