Budaska fired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Budaska fired

This topic contains 39 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I accidentally deleted my post, but MM3 captured it… For example, the theory that Budaska was unhappy about being passed over for the top job is interesting, but totally pulled out of the air.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

After the West Coast debacle last week I was ready to see someone go. How embarassing. The players are so much better than that. In the real world thats usually Alberts disatisfaction with Buddah. Alberts in charge and he wants somebodyelse. If things don’t get better its doubtful Albert will be doing it next year. Thats how organizations work. But I will give you my three rules of survival.
    1) Be to wirk on time
    2) Paydays on Friday
    3) Sh_t flows downhill

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well, it must be a disease. The Phillies just fired their hitting coach and hired Charlie Manuel – remember him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is my observation that most people tend to label articles as “speculation and conjecture” if they don’t agree with it but ” an interesting piece of journalism” if they do agree with it. I am not immune to this, I know I do it too.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You would have been right again!

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can someone explain the difference in old school and the modern approach to hitting?

My observation is that the hitters seem to be having the same problems this year as they had last year. Taking a lot of fat pitches and swinging at a lot out of the zone.

Reality is that if there is conflict between a supervisor and their assistant the assistant goes unless there is significant fault with the supervisor.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If folks want to read direct manager and player comments on the matter, check out the Post-Dispatch’s article – speculation and conjecture-free! 😉

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/shildt-says-decision-to-replace-assistant-hitting-coach-budaska-was/article_db366ce2-54c6-583e-865f-e2c3780121c1.html

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

So what really happened?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I think it is becoming known that there was a major difference in philosophies between the hitting coach and assistant hitting coach. They were probably placing blame on each other for the weak offensive showings and one had to go. Budda was obviously the old school guy versus the new school approach of Alberts and it sounds like team members were being exposed to both. It was never said but when that happens it is usually the player who gets confused as to which approach he is to follow. It may be telling that DeJong and Wong are the two players being most quoted. Wong turned hot and DeJong had a down period so which was following whom? I really don’t care as long as the offense improves and doesn’t wait 6 innings to do it in every game.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Phillies just fired their hitting coach and hired Charlie Manuel – remember him.

Old school Charlie was in the dugout for his first game as hitting coach last night when the Phils laid 11 on the cubs. He said he wanted the guys to relax more and focuses on a simple approach (look for balls to drive, situational hitting, importance of putting the ball in play, moving runners over, etc.). It’ll be interesting to see if Charlie has a real impact over the remainder of the season.

Situational hitting seems to be missing across the board these days. It’s easy to talk about, but hard to implement. I imagine a hitting coach who can actually move the needle significantly in this regard is worth his weight in gold. I don’t think there are many of them.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting…….wonderful post, Euro! You’ve been accumulating more than your fair share of gem posts of late. What’s your secret?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very good read. I remember Greg Gross from the early 80’s. He was a great pinch hitter.

I applaud the Phillies for thinking outside of the box. Sometimes when everyone is zigging you need to zag.

I am curious as to how Kapler feels about all of this. Manuel is an icon in Philadelphia. Having him in the dugout could be a little awkward for the current manager.It would kind of be like the Cardinals hiring LaRussa to be hitting coach.

Speaking of that idea……lol

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Over time, a number of teams have hired an experienced former manager as bench coach, though maybe not with the same team. Still, he could be looking over the manager’s shoulder as much as anyone, but I don’t recall reading about any issues on other teams. The prototype was Don Zimmer with Joe Torre.

I’d feel more comfortable if a Charlie Manuel or Jim Leyland, for example, was bench coach rather than Oli Marmol, who is a good guy but has been through fewer wars even than Shildt. This is not new. I felt the exact same way the whole time when Matheny was manager. TLR’s decades of experience managing in the major leagues made his bench coach less crucial, IMO.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

In the last four years (since the last year of postseason), the Cards have gone from good to bad offensively. I just wanted to see what some of the team numbers look like. Year by year it goes like this: very good, above the median, above the median, and poor. Cardinals ranking among all MLB teams is as follows.

2019 = 24th in OPS & 24th in runs scored
    2018 = 14th in OPS & 10th in runs scored
    2017 = 12th in OPS & 13th in runs scored
    2016 = 5th in OPS & 4th in runs scored

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years