Budaska fired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Budaska fired

This topic contains 39 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by EuroWolf EuroWolf 3 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wasn’t it only a year ago that Budaska was promoted? I guess someone had to pay for the sputtering offense.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wow. My mouth dropped when I saw that. This makes absolutely zero sense. The only thing I could think of is that Budaska and Albert must have been clashing with hitting philosophies. Budaska is a long term employee and this really troubles me because of the success he’s had, especially in the minor leagues. Simply don’t understand this at all.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Last year with John Mabry as hitting coach: 4.4 runs per game.

Last year with Mark Budaska and George Greer as hitting coaches: 5.1 runs per game.

This year with Jeff Albert as hitting coach: 4.5 runs per game.

It’s official. I have now given up on this front office, and this organization as a whole. Managers, coaches, players. They cannot identify the difference between a failure and a success. (Bleep) them.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I really thought the Cardinals would finally go a year without firing a coach. Looks like they needed a fall guy. Unfortunately it had to be one that was well respected.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Phew! At long last they have identified the reason for our season-long lack of offense. Now we can get on about the business of with winning the division.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

It’s official. I have now given up on this front office, and this organization as a whole. Managers, coaches, players. They cannot identify the difference between a failure and a success. (Bleep) them.

This is Mo’s MO. Even a guy who’s blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other has a clear vision on this trend. My “bleep you” is targeted squarely at MO, and no one else. “Philosophical differences” is what it really comes down to? Are you kidding me? Mo has known this guy for how many years? And promoted him just a year ago. And now “philosophical reasons” are the undoing. What a bunch of manure. Or maybe it’s just Mo also being a terrible evaluator of a staff if he couldn’t see ahead to potential philosophical differences with as long as Buddha has been around. Or maybe Buddha decided to change his stripes over the last year after so many well-respected and successful years in the organization.

Of course, most people will recognize this as more typical MO nonsense speak to cover his on inept ***. Karma will pay a visit to Mo’s weaselly self some day — for Buddha’s sake, of course 😉

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Are you kin to Buddha?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo’s statement reads like a guy who knows that he is running out of his own lives and that it could well be him next if things don’t turn around.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

We don’t know what was going on behind the scenes with Budaska and Albert but the results haven’t been there consistently all season. All I know is Mozeliak would rather take blame on a promotion from within rather than admit the Hitting Coach he hired from the outside was the issue.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have now given up on this front office, and this organization as a whole. (Bleep) them!

And the (Bleeping) horse they rode in on! Like Bobby, this ill advised move has me hotter than a hornet too! When does this madness end????

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d rather wait and see what happens for the rest of the season before passing judgement. We know that Albert is new school, and we know that Budaska is old school. It’s easy to see where that could have caused friction. They brought Albert in for a reason. If Budaska was getting in Albert’s way all the time, then one of them had to go. No doubt that this has been simmering for some time.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agree with this. This makes more sense than the tired old Mo is an idiot crap.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well as usual, blame has to come home somewhere. seems to me there could have been some friction but who knows. the guys at the top are usually the last to take a fall.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Maybe it isn’t blame but the truth…that two hitting philosophies clashed.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

You’d have thought the FO would have explored the possibility of two different hitting philosophies not working out when they hired Albert and kept Budaska as the assistant.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’ve misrepresented me just a teeny bit there, Pugs. I would never deploy an exclamation point where I’ve already wielded faux profanity. Exclamation points oughtta be used quite sparingly, as eloquently illustrated in this training film on punctuation:

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry Bobby! I guess your “faux profanity” had me temporarily riled up, as we are not used to those words coming from your mouth. It could have been worse though, as many times I’ll toss out two or even three exclamation points at the end of a sentence. As far as their usage goes, why not use them? Now if you’re a cool calm and collected sort, then it’s best to refrain. But, if you are a loud mouthed annoying type such as myself, then why not let everyone know who you are. This world world would be quite boring if we were all alike. Go Birds!!!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I was surprised as well but after reading through this thread all I can say is NOBODY knows the background with any degree of certainty. But I will give my reason as nothing more than a good old head butting between two people with the result that one had to go. The identities of the two people is what I do not know and don’t care to speculate but I would bet that Mr DeWitt had to be asked for his blessing before Budda was fired. Bad publicity usually has to be justified before an action is taken.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am shocked by this fire and disappointed. So many of the players on this team have credited Budda with turning them around through their years in the minors. If anything Budda should have been promoted to head hitting coach instead of being dismissed. It just makes no sense.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I have no clue on this one. I am all for a top down house cleaning, so if this is something that helps DeWitt realize the whole toilet needs to be flushed, then I’m all for it. If this is going to be this year’s scapegoat, then I hate it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get cynical when I read about these sort of issues regarding Mozeliak and his minions. Albert was hired with much fanfare by the FO. Maybe Albert is the problem if there is one. Maybe it was merely a salary reduction opportunity.

There is more to this story than the FO’s yadda, yadda, yadda. Regardless this will be just a footnote in the written legacy of Mozeliak’s achievements in guiding the club’s return to the glory years.

>>>> The VEB article isn’t very complimentary of the boys upstairs. In brief what it is saying is that Budaska was “jerked around”. No other way to put it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote:
    <Just to be clear, like all the rest of our commentary here, the VEB article, while detailed, is still just opinion and speculation. They have no direct team reporting as far as I know.>

Hit the nail on the head Brian – all opinion and speculation. My favorite quote on opinions: ” We all have opinions and a-holes and both usually stink.” I don’t think the specific reasons behind Budda’s release will ever be known but perhaps his not getting the head batting coaches job had something to do with it. Once again, that is only my speculation.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years