Barraclough to Washington

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Barraclough to Washington

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Traded to Nats for international bonus money.Jeter and minions really dismantling marlins.Barraclough was the marlins best bullpen guy.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

disappointing that we couldnt offer better for a solid younger relief guy…even if not as closer he could have value for us

makes me wonder about inquiring on Steckenrider and Adam Conley…both could be good on a better team

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Barrclough would have been our 2nd or 3rd best bullpen guy next year. The FO needs to be active looking for younger upgrades to the pen, not signing low hanging fruit, has-been, older, free agents.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Jeter might have been a good baseball player but so far he has been a garbage gm/owner!

14NyquisT
    Participant

In July of ’15 Barraclough was traded to the Marlins for Steve Cishek. Barraclough was sent to the Marlin’s AA team. He seemed to me to be an OK RHP but was already 25 at Springfield he would have had to step it up to reach STL. Well, he did step it up… but for the Miami organization.

I remember at that time time I was surprised that he was worth it to MIA.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t discredit Jeter yet. He isn’t trying to win games right now. He knows he has to completely tear it down before he can build it back up again. They are obviously trying to get enough pool money to get Victor Victor Mesa.

I will say that the timing of this trade is odd. Usually MLB frowns on player transactions during the playoffs although this is an off day and it isn’t exactly a blockbuster.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He had bad 2nd half numbers plus he was injured.

They want bonus pool money for some overhyped Cuban player.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too many walks his entire career. Yes, he can strike out the world. But I never want to put in a guy who I am afraid will walk the lead off hitter. I’m not saying our guys can do better.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

for international money id have been on him highly…id have added a lottery ticket or something similar maybe too

it’s not that BArraclough was the BEST guy out there or the solution to every problem…it’s what he went for that to me is the shocking thing…slot money isnt much, and every team has some

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Can’t have it both ways, folks. Some are complaining about the team adding mediocre relievers who were once ok. So, isn’t that exactly what Barraclough is?

Specifically, Barraclough’s fWAR in 2018 was MINUS 0.6. (So, no, he was not the Marlins’ best bullpen guy.)

In fact, he had a worse season than EVERY single pitcher to throw a pitch for the 2018 Cardinals – starter or reliever – except Brett Cecil, who was close at -0.7 fWAR.

Perhaps that has something to do with why he could be acquired in trade for so little.

I may be in the minority here, but I am glad the Cards are not tying up 40-man roster spots on additional marginal players.

I fear it is going to be another winter of some complaining the Cards are asleep at the switch every time one of the other 29 teams makes a move.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Barraclough wasnt great last year…agreed…but in his two years before that he was more than impressive enough to think a change of scenery could be worth the international slot money

to me he seems like a guy who could help right now at the back end has more upside than several guys trying to stay or get on the 40man

He seems to be the guy we want Greene to be, but hasnt shown the ability yet to become

Bearclaw always has a high k/9, about twice as many K’s per walk, actually gave up less hits than his superior 2017 season, more HR’s but less walks, and worked in some high leverage situations, he makes about 1mil which isnt crazy money

sure he isnt great, but let’s not act like he wouldnt have a spot on our 40 man compared to a few on it already.

I would much rather have Barraclough on the 40 man and drop Cecil, even with the extra money of BArraclough. Cecil is at 7.75mil and providing NOTHING, at least Barraclough at 7.75+1, 8.75, woudl at least give us SOME value for the money and a much shorter look into the past for potential rebound (AND no injury concerns)

i dont see how this is complaining, to see a move for a position considered a position of great need for the Cards that is of a pitcher who before 2018 would have been considered a good get.

Yes, I think there will be some extra complaining this offseason when other teams move, but that should be expected ANY offseason, but especially in THIS offseason as changes are definitely going to happen and acquisitions seem more than likely

I find that scoffing in response to these types of topics serves no purpose. The fans have every right to demand the FO be held accountable after 3yrs missing the playoffs, even on missing out on smaller deals like maybe this one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The purpose is discussion. That is why we are all here. If you post, you must accept that not everyone will agree, and this is one of those cases.

As far as his “superior” 2017, Barraclough delivered a positive 0.6 fWAR. Cardinals relievers with higher fWAR that year included Rosenthal, Cecil, Lyons and Bowman.

In fWAR, Barraclough’s one and only standout season was 2016 and he has slid each year since.

I hope the Cards set their sights higher than a guy who was barely better than Cecil in 2018. Or if they want to take a gamble on a reclamation project, then it has to be on a minor league-make good contract.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ315
    Participant

They brought back Waino and his .9 1 .2 .1 War the last four years. Why not another mediocre pitcher.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Barrclough would have been a definite upgrade. For several reasons, he was a buy low candidate due to having a 3.00 or less era previous 2 season, controllable asset under 30. Only thing against a trade happening was our probable lack of international $$.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

…and a 40-man roster spot…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

“Bear-Claw” has exceeded expectations. He regressed last year, but has been a serviceable bullpen guy who looked like a throw-away when the Cards sent him to south Florida.

Washington will likely fall way back next year, with perhaps Miami being the only worse team in that division. They look to be trending downward, but you never know.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.