Are the Cards cursed when it comes to developing top prospects…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Are the Cards cursed when it comes to developing top prospects…

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really, the issue is due to Taveras dying early and Reyes getting injured.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Nolan Gorman is a prime example. He had nothing left to really prove at Triple A this season, but he also wasn’t hitting well enough to play on a team that was trying to win the division. So, he ends up either on the bench in St. Louis or toiling away in Memphis. Ultimately, nothing productive can really be done with him and his development kind of stalls. You look at guys like Goldschmidt and Arenado, they both played on some bad teams and had nothing but time and opportunity to work through their issues as young players.

Quite the dichotomy here and an interesting observation. Wonder how much cause and effect is really at play here?

14NyquisT
    Participant

We as ardent Cardinal fans will always overestimate the prospects that are high on the TCN prospect rankings. It seems like every year we expect to pencil in certain MILBers that will be stars for years to come. You all know the suspects. Conversely we have had a few under-the-radar rookies who have been the guys that we hoped for. Fan is short for “fantasizers”. We are all guilty of that as well as fans of 29 other teams.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t say I overestimate prospects. I’ve found that the wait and see concept is the best approach. At one time, I was a relatively easy sell for the promo guys, but then they kept rolling out names like Jim Lindeman.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals missed the boat during the years before the cap on the international players was established.

Picking late they had a lower cap from the draft. That should have left them sufficient money to compete for the top international talent available. Instead they went cheap until this year and even since the cap they have given up cap dollars in trades. Consequently, they have had virtually no top international prospects since Oscar Taveras, Alcantra (who was never top 100, I don’t think)and Martinez.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For 2023 it will likely be home grown players filling in around a core of acquired players. Probably the last time any of the starting pitchers will have spent any development time in the STL system will be Wainwright in 2005. It also seems likely that the heart of the batting order, 4,5,6, will all be acquired players. Possibly, O’neill could be tried again, but he didn’t get here until AAA.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This should be a year where our young prospects will get a lot of playing time. I hope Herrera gets a chance to start. Gorman and Yepez should get DH time. IMO, Burleson should start in the outfield because he is probably the best hitter among the outfielders.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years