Arbitration for 2027

Home › The Cardinal Nation Forums › Open Forum › Arbitration for 2027

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #320194
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #320212
    AlbertTheMachine
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Leahy getting super 2 isn’t great for down the road. Right now it isn’t as much of a problem. Gorman should be an easy non-tender. I would non-tender Pages unless you are really sure someone would give up something like a lower level RP for him. Liberatore I expect them to tender but he would be an iffy one for me. Maybe they can ship him and Gorman off and they can stay together.

    #320225
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

    Free

    Hopefully by the time Leahy gets expensive we have alternatives

    #320228
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    They haven’t officially announced the Super 2 cutoff yet, but MLBTR is estimating it will be 2.133. Leahy is 2.140.

    #320250
    bicyclemike
    Moderator

    Paid - Annual

    Yeah, I cut ties with Pages and Gorman, and get ‘er done with the other seven.

    #320251
    Jnevel
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I’m not sure why we would cut ties with Pages. He’s well worth that salary – even if he’s sitting at AAA as a contingency plan. He’s a perfect backup catcher complement who is already very familiar with the staff and plays excellent defense. Plus he’s a good “team” guy. Gorman on the other hand is a very likely non tender.

    #320254
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I would definitely tender Pages a contract. He is a decent backup catcher and even if they decided to go with Bernal and Crooks in STL Pages could be traded or sent to Memphis for depth.

    I agree that Gorman is most likely looking at a non-tender. I would be surprised otherwise.

    #320306
    bicyclemike
    Moderator

    Paid - Annual

    Pages is okay as a backup and seems like a good guy, but I would go with Crooks and Bernal next year, with Herrera as a third guy in an emergency or catching now and then.

    I think we know what we have in Pages, and still need to give Crooks and Bernal reps. If we were more in a “win now” situation, I might keep Pedro. But as is, I go with youth and potential.

    #320351
    Cardinals27
    Participant

    Free

    It’s funny how a year can change a players value. Pallante is a good ecxample of that. His 5+ era in 2025 to his 3.8 era this season. I believe he made 5 million plus this year. And if he is scheduled to make 7.5 in 2027. I really thought he’d be non tendered after 2025. But our depth was, and still in question. We have Mathews, Leahy, Liberatore, McGreevy, Pallante, and very little sure candidates. Now Hjerpe, Roby, and/or Graceffo could be in the mix next season. Hjerpe seems like a piggyback candidate due to control issues. Roby is coming back from jury and has yet to throw an AFL inning this year. Graceffo, iMO, should be considered for next years rotation . But does the FO think that? In the end as far as Pallante is concerned is his future salary more than you could sign a veteran starter for? Or do we want to depend on razor thin depth. And we do have kids getting close like Molina and Doyle, but they need more time. One other wild card that can’t be forgotten is Fitts. But like Roby we don’t know when he’ll be ready. At best he will not be ready until mid 2027. Bottom line is I think you keeep Pallante until you have extra parts. This is also assuming we keep Liberatore as he is getting more expensive.

    #320364
    forsch31
    Participant

    Free

    Why won’t Fitts be ready until mid 2027? He had lat surgery, not elbow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years