Adding another starting pitcher

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Adding another starting pitcher

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

2020 –

Waino – 65.2IP / 54H / 54K / 15W / 3.15 ERA / 1.051 WHIP
    Jack – 40.1IP / 33H / 49K / 16W / 4.91ERA / 1.215 WHIP
    Carlos – 20.0IP / 32H / 17K / 10W / 9.90ERA / 2.10 WHIP
    Reyes – 19.2IP / 14H / 27K / 14W / 3.20ERA / 1.424 WHIP
    Ponce – 32.2IP / 28H / 45K / 20W / 4.96ERA / 1.316WHIP
    KK – 39.0IP / 28H / 24K / 12W / 1.62ERA / 1.026WHIP

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

jj-cf-stl wrote:

The 2021 schedule will have six games in a row or more, sixteen times. A SP6, could start a dozen times easily, just to get the rotation an extra days rest, and protect against yr-to-yr IP spikes of the rotation members.

I noticed in 1971 that the Cardinals played 43 straight days. From May 18th thru June 29th they did not – NOT – have any days off.

That’s hard to believe with the way things are nowadays.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Well with questions with Mikolas returning and CMart with trading Gomber. I feel a tad unsettled with our rotation. Also possibly the intent is possibly a 6 man rotation like had been suggested during certain points of the season.

With the acquisition of Arenado the last thing you want is the rotation to crumble like a cookie.

And yeah another bat would be nice. lol but if we get a starter my guess is we either don’t get anyone it we find some professional hitter on the cheap like Miller.

Participant

Free

An interesting question might be who is going to be stretched out this Spring to be able to step into a starter’s role if necessary.

Martinez?
    Reyes?
    Ponce?
    Gant?
    Cabrera?
    Woodford?
    Helsley?
    Oviedo?

The only true relievers by background –

Gallegos
    Miller
    Webb
    Whitley
    Elledge
    Fernandez (since 2017)
    Hicks (since 2018)

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reyes and Martinez need to start. I am going to assume Hicks will be back in the closers role, hopefully throwing strikes.

This is a make-or-break year for both Reyes and Martinez as far as I am concerned.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

When it comes to the pitching staff, you have to ask: For us to be successful, how many of these guys need to do something besides what they did last year? If its most, that’s not likely to happen.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When it comes to the pitching staff, you have to ask: For us to be successful, how many of these guys need to do something besides what they did last year? If its most, that’s not likely to happen.

Considering that they were one of the better staffs in the game while giving a very solid chunk of innings to guys like Nabil Crismatt, Ricardo Sanchez, Rob Kaminsky, Johan Oviedo and Jake Woodford, all of whom are not that likely to take up a lot of innings this year…I would say most of the guys who will pitch could pitch like they did in 2020 and we will be fine.

Participant

Free

Rats that’s four make-or-break years in a row for Carlos I guess.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I could see them making a 1 yr make good deal with Paxton, Odorizzi or Taijuan Walker. I’d feel pretty confident in Flaherty and Kim giving them quality innings, but after that there are lot of questions marks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What we really need is an innings eater type. Doesn’t have to be top shelf. Someone along the lines of Lance Lynn who eats innings and never had a losing season. Its expensive but not exorbitant, and makes a big difference in what the rest of the staff has to do.

Participant

Free

We have Waino to eat innings but we could use another.

Participant

Free

If Mikolas is healthy now, why can’t he eat innings? He pitched 385 innings between 2018 and 2019. He’s a big horse at 6’4”, 230 lbs.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there’s enough pitching to cover the innings…the front office may want a little more certainty over who will pitch those innings. It’s possible Carlos looks like 2017-18 Carlos, Alex finally gets to start and shines, Jack pitches like he did against everyone but Milwaukee in 2020, KK looks solid and Waino and Mikolas provide some innings so the rotation becomes a strength. But adding an Odorizzi would be helpful.

Participant

Free

If you add a starter, how do you give Reyes his shot?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s nearly a guarantee that there will be injuries in the rotation and times when another starter is needed. Reyes has the highest ceiling of anyone on the staff, so if he showcases well he could force the issue.

I would personally prefer a trade to add an OF bat, but I can see the rationale for a pitcher to add some stability.

Participant

Free

If Reyes starts the season in the bullpen, how long can he stay “stretched out”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas has to be healthy and returned to form. Waino has to not pitch like he is 39. If both happen, we are in good shape.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With the dodgers getting bauer, I think the Cardinals are going to have to up their game just in case we meet up with them in playoffs. Some will probably say we need a better bat and maybe that will be proven to be but in my eyes a better bat doesn’t mean anything if those guys are on. Good hitters and bad hitters hit about the same against great stuff. So I think the Cardinals need to think about getting another good pitcher to try to make games close where one hit could decide the game.

Participant

Free

Odorizzi got bombed yesterday.
    4 dingers
    Two pair back to back.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years