Adding another starting pitcher

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Adding another starting pitcher

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This surprises me a bit. Who do you like?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had Gomber as our SP6, so I could see backfilling his IP role. If financial constraints are still the off-seasons theme, and a Archer type acquisition is possible in the 6mil range, maybe Porcello. Ground ball type, limits walks, pitch to contact. He’s not Bauer but he answers the bell with 33, 33, 33, 32, 12 GS the last 5 seasons.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point about Bauer. Feinsand meant these guys are top remaining second-tier starters on the market.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If need be, after an acquisition, KK could also assume the swingman role again, just waiting for an opening in the rotation. There’s enough question marks in the rotation he may not be in the pen long, if at all.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Odorizzi seems like a Cardinals kind of pitcher but he may be too pricey. Paxton has the upside but there’s a lot of risk there. Porcello might get a bump from coming to the a place with great defense behind him (and bookend the Pete Kozma draft) and probably will be cheap. I wouldn’t mind Hanels either. He’d be a good mentor for Libby coming up later this year.

Participant

Free

Flaherty
    Kim
    Mikolas
    Martinez
    Reyes

6 – Woodford
    7 – Oviedo

Participant

Paid - Three Months

BC, Don’t forget Wainwright

Participant

Free

Oops. Thanks

Flaherty
    Kim
    Mikolas
    Waino
    Martinez

Which one do you displace if you sign another starter?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Which one do you displace if you sign another starter?

Unfortunately, the IL usually displaces someone for us. This year with pitchers ramping up from shortened 2020 workloads, having 7-8 starting pitchers may be vital.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Adding another starter makes sense to me. We have our share of question marks. I mentioned some names yesterday in the Trade Ideas thread.

Odorizzi, Paxton, Hamels, Arrieta, Samardjia, Porcello, or Walker would be good for the middle or back of our rotation.

Participant

Free

If they get a starter…okay but I hope they left enough money for another quality bat. They have exactly TWO proven hitters on this roster right now. Fingers crossed.

Participant

Free

I understand the need for depth, but the question remains. If all 5 are healthy, whom would a new pitcher replace?

Participant

Free

Kim becomes the swing man.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kim would be the most likely choice, or Carlos if he’s not 100% ready to start.

I think there’s a possibility that we see more “piggyback” games where “starters” go 3-4 innings and another starting pitcher takes over. You can’t really go from throwing 60 innings or less to 160+ in a year without a big risk of injury.

Participant

Free

I see Kim as the ace.

Participant

Free

Kim over Flaherty?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kim has such a short time here. I love KK but he could go Seung Hwan Oh in year 2. The Cards have three other starters who have top 10 Cy Young finishes. KK doesn’t need to be the ace.

Participant

Free

I think there’s a possibility that we see more “piggyback” games where “starters” go 3-4 innings and another starting pitcher takes over.

I’ve been thinking the Cardinals should do this for years, with their pitching depth – Just to keep everyone stretched out. For instance, Wainright is lucky to go 6 innings, so put him and Reyes (as an example) together. One pitches 5 innings, the other 4.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 2021 schedule will have six games in a row or more, sixteen times. A SP6, could start a dozen times easily, just to get the rotation an extra days rest, and protect against yr-to-yr IP spikes of the rotation members.

IP like Gomber and Ponce were expected to cover does help protect the one IP relievers and help limit the rotations GS and IP. Maybe Gant will be viewed as a multi-inning reliever next season too.

I hope this rumored SP isn’t a return to health project signing. If they’re going to spend on an arm instead of a bat, sign as solid of IP recent history as possible.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we have far too many questions marks in the rotation…

Cmart…might be gearing up but no guarantee
    Waino…love him but his age is always a concern
    KK…love him, but i think as a swing or reliever could be even more dangerous
    Mikolas…he may be back from injury but let’s not act like he’s been that good since he got that contract
    Reyes…question marks galore and he looked god in the pen last year
    Ponce…is he really ready?
    Woodford…depth but good depth
    Oviedo…young…control issues
    Libertore and Thompson…getting closer but not quite

Odorizzi or Porcello seem like safer bets…but probably require better contracts
    Walker and Paxton come with more risk with injury IMO…might be bale to get them for 1yr deal

I am also of the opinion that we need a bit more help for the offense…a trade for an OF (Peralta, Gallo, Nimmo) including a current OF option involved

I think i’d feel better with a better bat and a lesser SP pick up…but i do think we need an SP, and maybe a couple ST invite SPs too

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been thinking the Cardinals should do this for years, with their pitching depth – Just to keep everyone stretched out. For instance, Wainright is lucky to go 6 innings, so put him and Reyes (as an example) together. One pitches 5 innings, the other 4.

The only problem with it in normal years is that it could take a more exciting arm and pigeonhole them into very specific roles that may not be fluid enough to match what the team and player need. For example, if Waino goes 5 shutout innings and the team is up 9-0, do you really want to use Reyes for the next 4 in a game you almost 100% will win? If you take him off schedule it makes it difficult to fit the other guys in. Or would you rather have Reyes available for an inning or two 2-3 times a week in the highest leverage spots? I think that’s what keeps teams from doing it except in specific circumstances.

This year could be a circumstance that would make it advantageous to use a couple of guys with piggybacks, like Carlos or Mikolas early on with Ponce or Woodford. I’d be hesitant to commit Reyes to mop up low leverage innings though. Flaherty and KK and Waino probably don’t need a handcuff as they will get enough innings to let the pen carry the rest, I would think.

Participant

Free

Kim 2019 in KBO. 17-6, 190 innings pitched, ERA of
    2.51 with a WHIP of 1.24.

Kim in 2020 with the Cardinals. 39 innings pitched, ERA of
    1.62 with a WHIP of 1.026.

Oh? Yes, after being terrific for the Cards in 2016 he had a rough 2017. But in 2018 he rebounded with a 2.68 ERA and 1.00 WHIP with the Blue Jays and 2.53 and 1.03 WHIP with the Rockies.

Some say Waino was our best starter in 2020. I submit it was Kim. And yes, Kim may be an ace in 2021 over Flaherty because he’s a seasoned veteran and Flaherty may be a little too overconfident. Even after 2020.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goold also tweets Odorizzi is of interest to STL

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know how they can poor mouth Molina, and in the same breath spend $10-11M on another pitcher. When Gant, Reyes, Ponce de Leon, Cabrera hear about this, I bet their knees will buckle. That said, with Odorizzi added, it does make the rotation look more solid.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The potential rotation reminds me of our outfield.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years