5 Gold Glove winners…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 5 Gold Glove winners…

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman better learn how to consistently hit major league pitching before we annoint him anything.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman better learn how to consistently hit major league pitching before we annoint him anything.

What about Gorman’s profile lends itself to you saying that? Or are you one of those “we can’t know until we see it” types like blingboy? Gorman has done the same thing at every stop…scuffle for a few weeks, figure out the pitchers and then take off. He is a little streaky but that’s ok, he’ll likely OBP around the same as Edman (.300 to .330) but with significantly more power (.450+ SLG vs .350-400)

Anyway, since this is the Gold Glove thread I won’t say any more except about his defense, which is reported to be fine at 2B.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As we move along to more GG chat, I think we can put the Edman-Gorman comparison to bed with the following comment; say Gorman was in the cubbies organization and the Cards were looking to obtain his services. And the cubbies wanted Edman straight up for Gorman. Do you think Mo pulls the trigger on that trade? No way. The cubs would have to spice things up…..say an upper mid-level pitching prospect(if they had one) and another nice little prospect.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t agree with you on several fronts, Pugs. Only rarely is a top 25 prospect in MLB traded, but the price would be steep.

It is all about gambling on upside. Edman is a more proven player TODAY, but Gorman has more perceived upside for the long haul.

For that reason, in your scenario, the rebuilding and cost-cutting Cubs would definitely hold onto Gorman.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman is a good ballplayer and I’m glad he’s on the team. Gorman will be a good major leaguer too, with the possibility that he’s a star. There’s a lot to like about what the Cards have offensively and defensively for the future.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, stlcards25. My view of the future is that both will be productive members of the team for the foreseeable future. There is no reason to create scenarios that are not relevant, such as one has to be traded away or which one is better. Time will answer all of that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman is a very solid player. Not spectacular but solid. However, he doesn’t have close to the future upside that Gorman has. If you want to use a Cub analogy it would be like comparing Ben Zobrist to Kris Bryant.

14NyquisT
    Participant

So Edman was chosen over Wong…. can we finally stop saying that we lost out defensively with Edman replacing Wong. That was so annoying. Some fans hear don’t have enough respect for Edman’s glove.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know guys? Of course time will tell. I feel like I’m a lone wolf here with my thoughts. Where are all of the GameCards and Crannys of the world? If I could wave a magic wand and PUFF…..Gorman could one day lead the NL in doubles, receive the coveted GG and bring everything to the table that a Tommy Edman brings….. I’d be ecstatic. I’m a big Gorman fan and I hope he ends up being a super star…..but I’m a realist too. Time will reveal all real soon.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here here NyQuist!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I have never seen Gorman. I have never watched him play baseball. I don’t follow the minors much beyond what I read from Brian and you posters. To the best of my knowledge Gorman has never fielded a grounder or swung a bat in the majors. I ardently hope he turns out to be what most of you with more knowledge than I are predicting.
    For now, I have seen Edman play. I like what I see. He provides a spark and enthusiasm. My gut tells me he is going to get even better as he builds experience. For me, he has proved his worth.
    I hope the Cardinals find a way to profit from both of them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In all fairness, you have to also consider the environment. There was more behind the decision than a comparison between two players skills. Edman (AND his $500K minimum salary) was chosen over Wong and his escalating $12.5 million salary at a time the team had lost a lot of revenue due to COVID. I bet the decision would have gone the other way had their salaries been reversed.

But the bigger point is that they have both proven to be very good at second base. Wong has two Gold Gloves, but Edman won the only head-to-head race so far. It should be interesting to watch in the future.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

A guy wins a gold glove at 2ndbase and then people want to move him over to shortstop?????

I bet some of the guys advocating that couldn’t even win a golf glove.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ideally, Edman wouldn’t need to move to SS but the situation might dictate it. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with the other options.

Will DeJong ever stop his slide in offensive production?
    Is Sosa the real thing or a mirage?
    Do you want to spend a couple hundred million on a free agent SS meaning you would have $0 to upgrade other parts of the team?
    Where is Gorman going to play when he comes up?

Those questions have to be considered when determining Edman’s future.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman should determine their futures.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s funny…people dog Tyler O’Neill, who OPSed over .900 and has won two Gold Gloves in a row. The same people can’t be effusive enough over a guy who hasn’t bumped over .700 since his (now looking fluky) rookie year. I guess it must be the speed and steals clouding everyone’s judgment. Again, he’s a good ballplayer but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he’s got another 4 WAR season in him as he settles more into his career.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Where does the dogging Tyler O’Neill come from in this thread? The only reference I have seen is congrats to him. Let it go 25, you sound like you aren’t happy if somebody has a different opinion about the future than yours. It’s okay, not everybody does. Nobody knows what will happen in 2022 and beyond. Everybody’s making a guess. Lots of (most) prospects fail. Some will make it at the next level. Same with 3rd and 4th year big leaguers — they might improve or maybe they’ll regress.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats said:

A guy wins a gold glove at 2ndbase and then people want to move him over to shortstop?????

If that makes THE OVERALL TEAM better, wouldn’t that be a good thing? SS is weak. They have another 2B coming up who cannot play short. It seems a reasonable idea to consider at least, not ridicule.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Personally I don’t agree with moving edman to short either just to do it. We go from 3 gold gloves to maybe 2 on the infield. Especially not until Gorman proves he belongs offensively and defensively. Also Gorman succeeding at every level means nothing. All players do that until they don’t. I hope he does but I’m not going to talk about his placement until he does.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Five, count ‘em, five gold gloves! Has any team ever done that? Amazing.

Rox fans feel Ryan McMahon is better than Arenado on defense, and would be better than Edman at second. But since he plays some at each position he got overlooked.

Nice that Edman stepped up and filled in admirably for Wong. I was against not keeping Wong, and while Edman held up his part we still gave the team that was ahead of us a darn good second baseman. So I am still of the opinion that letting Kolten go was a mistake. Obviously no one knew where he would end up, but that is now part of the context.

But to the point of gold gloves, what we did was truly special.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years