26 man roster implications

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 26 man roster implications

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

What roster strategies do you see changing across mlb and particularly with the Cardinals due to increasing the active roster to 26?

Some that I could see.

1. Easier to stash rule 5 picks

2. The return of the “corner guy” (1B/3B) to the roster.

3. While the 3 batter rule will hurt LOOGY’s the expanded roster could make it more common to see 3 lefties in the pen.

4. Minor league shuffles could include more swapping out of pitchers for hitters for a few days and vice a versa. Currently it is almost always picher for pitcher.

5. More 3rd catchers on the rosters.

6. Teams carrying a defensive oriented SS.

7. More pinch running so speed could more influence roster decisions.

Which one of these the Cards will go with I am not sure.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

4. Is hampered by the return of 15 days minimum down before optioned out players can be returned to MLB.

My (more boring but more likely) addition:

7. Another general purpose reliever (eighth) plus five reserve position players. 13 hitters and 13 pitchers.

I suggest this because that is how most NL teams seemed to toggle the use of their 25th player. They would use a hitter unless the pen was stretched. (And yes, there will be a 27th player for doubleheaders.)

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the biggest change will be how the manager’s strategy is effected. In some cases he’ll have to think through 3 batters before before he decides which reliever to send in. Scoring will increase, the outcome of games will be effected.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am curious if teams will have the ability to have 14 pitchers or if there will be a requirement to have 13 pitchers and 13 position players.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There was talk that there would be a cap on the number of pitchers, but I haven’t seen that they have settled on a maximum yet.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I read the cap was proposed to be 13 pitchers, by MLB I think (28/14 for September). A joint committee (MLB/MLBPA) was reviewing it.

Another issue was how to classify two-way players, which is relevant for the Reds, Angels and maybe others. There would also be limits on having position players pitch. I don’t recall the nuances on that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hitters can only pitch in extra innings or blowouts (six or more run gap).

Two-way players must qualify first by having played in 20 games at both.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IN particular, players like Sosa, who supposedly will have a 4th option year, outfielders like O’Neill, Garcia, Thomas, Arozarena, who are on the 26 man roster bubble, and PDL, GOmber, Woodford, Whitley, Fernandez, REyes, Elledge will likely be rotated depending on need. Ravelo and/or Nagowski (if resigned) could also be involved, particularly if JMart is traded.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Will most teams play it with a 13/13 split between position players and pitchers or go with 14 pitchers?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One way to look at it is, if they’ve got a weak pitching staff, they would carry 14 pitchers. But if they’ve got a fairly decent pitching staff, and a pinch hitter that they like, they would keep the extra pinch hitter on the 26 man roster. I’m going to guess that for many teams it will go back and forth all season long where they will have 13 pitchers part of the time and 14 pitchers part of the time.

It’s amazing how teams always carried three catchers, and now, not only do they carry only two catchers, but they’re not afraid to pinch hit for the starting catcher whenever they think it will help the offense.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe there was some talk that it would be a 26 man roster with a cap of 13 pitchers and 28/14 in September. But I have not seen it confirmed anywhere yet. Does anyone know if it has been?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

What a luxury it would be to have a 2nd backup catcher/mop up innings hybrid that wasn’t completely embarrassing at the plate. Regarding embarrassing, it wouldn’t take much considering Carp and Fowler will likely play daily.

Can Ankiel catch?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would be all in on trading JMart with a 25 man roster. With a 26 man roster their is room to keep him and he can be an extremely valuable as a pinch hitter. I’d still trade him for the right deal but I’d also be happy to keep him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is a topic that we should stay current with.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be all in on trading JMart with a 25 man roster. With a 26 man roster their is room to keep him and he can be an extremely valuable as a pinch hitter. I’d still trade him for the right deal but I’d also be happy to keep him.

I understand what you are saying but I think Ravelo could give us similar offensive production but with a better glove, and we would save $1.5M. Every penny seems to count these days.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Gscott, I have noticed that you and I agree on many things. This is not one of them. Just what about Ravelo’s (small sample size) .666 OPS screams that he is ready to hit major league pitching?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscott, I have noticed that you and I agree on many things. This is not one of them. Just what about Ravelo’s (small sample size) .666 OPS screams that he is ready to hit major league pitching?

It is mostly based on his AAA performance. He rarely saw regular playing time in St. Louis other than pinch hitting duty so I would like to see what he could do with 150 AB’s. Considering that JMart is probably the worst OF defender in all of MLB I think Ravelo’s WAR would be similar to JMart’s if they got the same amount of playing time, plus Ravelo is cheaper.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It should also be noted that Martinez is already under contract for 2020, so there can be no savings unless he is traded and his new team will assume all of his salary.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes I would think there would be an AL team that would take JMart for $2.125M but the Cardinals might need to lower their expectations a bit on the return, unlike last winter.

Since DeWitt and the FO have publicly stated they expect very little bump in payroll if any at all, the modest savings of $1.562M from going from JMart to Ravelo could be helpful.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont expect Ravelo ou JMart to do much more than pinch hit or an occasional LF start.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.