2023 StL Game #20: Friday, April 21 at Mariners

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #20: Friday, April 21 at Mariners

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After the Thursday travel day off…

9:10 p.m.
    LHP Steven Matz (0-2, 6.48) vs. RHP George Kirby (1-1, 3.78)
    BSM // KMOX
    (and Bally Sports South/Southwest Extra)

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Our old buddy Matt Carpenter is currently hitting .143 for San Diego.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Cards have stunk up Busch so far this year. Maybe the day off and going on the road will actually help them.

While they are traveling someone needs to send the clean up crew in to fumigate Busch.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Here we go. The Cards need a string of quality starts as in at least one full trip through the rotation.

Magic 8-ball actually laughed when I asked if this would happen.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Seattle’s had some really good players over the years. Too many to mention here, but I distinctly recall watching one of the best post-season games I’ve ever seen not involving the Cardinals. It was the 5th and deciding game of the ’95 ALDS between the Mariners and Yankees. NY won the first 2 games of that ALDS only to lose to SEA in 5. The 5th game went 11 innings with Randy Johnson working the last 3 innings. I’ll never forget seeing the towering LH’er, when after recording the last out, look up, point to the sky and seemed to be saying something. He later said he was talking to his dad who had passed away a couple of years earlier.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Last time out Matz couldn’t throw it over the plate. 5 walks in 5 innings. The time before he did throw it over and got hit around. Obviously, we should hope and pray.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I afford less confidence in Matz than any of the other 4 current members of the 5 man. Rarely do I ever see him deliver an offering that has any late movement and when he gets hit, he gets hit hard.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cubs are at it again. Smyly has a perfect game in the 8th when David Peralta hits a slow dribbler towards 3rdbase. Smyly and Gomes, the Cub catcher, sort of flop around over each other and Peralta is awarded an infield hit.

The Flubs are back……..

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Brendan Donovan (L) 2B
    2. Alec Burleson (L) LF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Willson Contreras (R) C
    6. Nolan Gorman (L) DH
    7. Lars Nootbaar (L) CF
    8. Jordan Walker (R) RF
    9. Tommy Edman (S) SS

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A couple random observations.

Carlson has been in the starting lineup 8 times. That’s 2 more than Motter.

Gorman has been the starting second baseman 5 times. That’s 1 more than Motter. He’s also been the starting third baseman once. That’s 1 less than Motter.

It seems obvious that Marmol likes Donovan at 2nd more than Gorman, and Noot or O’Neill in center more than Carlson.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Despite 2B being Gorman’s natural position, I feel much more comfortable with Donovan over on the right side of the IF. I’ve seen several hard hit GB’s to Gorman that he couldn’t quite handle for the put-out. Those GB’s were not at all necessarily what I would score as an E-4, but I’ve felt that some of them could have certainly been cleanly gloved and dispensed of in the form of an out. I’m not saying he’s bad over there, I just think Donnie’s more consistent. At any rate, I want Gorman’s bat somewhere in the line-up every day until he thoroughly proves it shouldn’t be.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now I’d rather hide Walkers glove at DH.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Smyley allowing only the 1 hit in 7.2 IP’ed prompted me look up the number of CG SHO’s so far this season. There’s been a total of 2. One each for Sandy Alcantra and Gerrit Cole. Last season there were a total of 16, and no pitcher worked more than 1. Most of you know that in 1968, a single, solitary, RH’ed pitcher worked 13 of them. Moreover, in 1968, Big League pitchers worked a total of 339 of them. In any event, the CG SHO is approaching the status of being accomplished almost as seldom as a no-hitter. And the feat will only continue to become more of a rarity as time moves forward. One thing is entirely certain…The shutout is always more of a sure thing in regards to providing a W, than is the no-no…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s both my guess and hope that Walker will eventually land in LF and O’Neill will land in…Oakland?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yes, Gorman has not always looked good at 2B, but part of the issue is it has not been his position during most of his development. He played 3B in high school I believe and in MiLB, so I think that’s probably what you’d have to call his natural position. He didn’t start working out at 2B until after the Arenado trade.

If the Cards didn’t have Arenado, I wonder if a better arrangement would be Walker at 3B and Gorman a shot in OF. Not that I’m trying to get rid of Arenado, just curious.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We never saw Walker play 3B at an advanced level and wouldn’t assume he could have been an MLB 3B. I do understand he was pretty good.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I thought he played a couple of games in LF last season, but I was wrong. I looked it up and he played 0.2 of an inning in LF in ’22. Heck, that oughta be good enough. Toss him out there…Haha!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone else remember the movie Wargames from the 80s with Matthew Broderick and Dabney Coleman? The NORAD supercomputer almost started WW3 because it didn’t know the difference between simulation and reality.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I thought the Cardinals were 3-0 when Edman leads off a game, but they’re only 2-1. Oh well, 2-1 is better than 6-10…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I remember that movie, Bling. That’s right, it was a supercomputer…I quite frequently have a difficult time discerning the difference between simulation and reality. I’m smarter than I thought!

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

DeJong with 3 hits and 6 RBIs tonight. Motter’s days are numbered.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Today is the anniversary of the play at HP involving Ray Lankford and Darren Daulton in which Lankford scored the winning run against the Phillies in the 10th inning from 2nd base on a GB FC at Busch Memorial in April of ’91. They just showed the old clip on the pregame. That game wasn’t televised in StL, but I listened in. I can still hear Jack Buck as he made the call on the radio and said, “He knocked him coo-coo!” Lankford was a star tailback in college.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Quote of the movie:

“*** **** **, I’d piss on a sparkplug if I thought it’d do any good.”

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

We never saw Walker play 3B at an advanced level and wouldn’t assume he could have been an MLB 3B. I do understand he was pretty good.

Except for all the errors.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Somebody send Mo a box of sparkplugs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.