2023 StL Game #110: Thursday, August 3 vs. Twins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #110: Thursday, August 3 vs. Twins

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’ve actually been a little disappointed in Burly. He’s shown some signs and glimpses, but nothing beyond a a game or two here and there. I don’t forsee him as a player who’s going to be the primary guy at any position with the Cardinals.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

They showed a clip or two of Masyn Winn highlights tonight during the game. He’ll be with the Big League club around the latter half of August, so that’s something to look forward to.

Andrew Crause
    Participant

Tough- That’s the tough part of developing as a Cardinal. Not many get consistent opportunities to show what they can do. Burly has done well when he’s had the opportunity. He takes good AB’s too.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can see Burleson being a an everyday player holding down a middle of the order slot for someone. It would take some unexpected stuff to happen for that to be with the Cardinals. He will never be a strong defender, but a lot of successful players fall into that catagory.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It wouldn’t at all surprise me to see Burleson as part of a trade package this winter. Some team could stick him in LF, or even at 1B, but I don’t think the Cardinals could ever win anything with him as their 1B’man. But who really knows? He’s only 24, so he could end up being another Schwarber for all I know.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Liberatore is not looking like a ML pitcher. He is only 23 and he should be given 8-9 more starts this season no matter how bad he stinks it up. We need to know for sure what we have / don’t have with him.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know. We made it to the Ws in 1985 with Jack Clark at 1B. He was never a good fielder but it didn’t matter because of the bat. So all Burly has to do is be Jack Clark.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha…Yeah, ’87 too! And Burly doesn’t have to worry about the IF shift, which NL teams routinely deployed back when The Ripper stepped in. All jokes aside, I’m sure you recall that for about 2 or 3 years, Clark was one of the most feared hitters in either league. Alec’s got a ways to go before he instills that type of fear.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m sorry, but I’ve given up on Liberatore. Now that I’ve said that, he’ll turn into Cliff Lee.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve given up on Liberatore

That places you one step ahead of Mo.

Lee
    Participant

The cards reporters are really lying to the team and fans. When it is reported that Liberatore took a big step towards being in the rotation after a terrible outing like this. He was very lucky to have only given up 5 runs, as he left the bases loaded for the pen to clean up.
    You can give up 5 runs in under 6 inngs and be an option for the rotation.
    He still has control issues and needs to work on it more in aaa!

Lee
    Participant

Sorry. Can’t

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Liby is going backwards. Last night he somehow managed to strike out only one batter in 5.2 innings.

His numbers this season are nothing but wretched. 37.2 IP, 49 H, 18 BB.

Besides being wretched, he has by now established that he cannot go deep enough in games to hold down a regular slot in the rotation. In 9 starts this season he has gone 6 innings once. That should surprise exactly no one since in 11 AAA starts he only went 6 innings 3 times. So even if he doesn’t get crushed he wrecks the bullpen. And there is no sign that he is improving, he is actually getting worse.

But one has to recognize that two previous seasons of mediocre .500ish AAA results coupled with dismal stints in the majors wasn’t enough actual reality to cut through the 1st round pedigree hype and Mo’s refusal to accept that he got fleeced by the Rays. So I do not know that this season’s results will regiser either. He will be on next spring’s laundry list yet again.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Burly had a nice July. He has lowered his ground ball rate from last season. Lifting the ball is how he breaks out. TBD. Competes really well in the strike zone.

Lee
    Participant

Good post Bling!

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Mo has the rest of the season to evaluate Liberatore.

It does not look promising though.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That places you one step ahead of Mo.

You can’t hang that on Mo. The manager makes all of the decisions for the organization or so we have been told.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years