2023 StL Game #107: Sunday, July 30 vs. Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #107: Sunday, July 30 vs. Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:15 p.m.
    LHP Steven Matz (1-7, 4.34) vs. RHP Kyle Hendricks (4-4, 3.45)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    (and Bally Sports South/Southwest Extra)

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Cubs are surging at only 3.5 behind the Brewers and the Reds.

I think they complete the 4 game road sweep.

Mo, where are you and what are you doing?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Mo has almost two more days to screw the team up again.

And it looks to me like the Redbirds are lackluster nowadays. Goldy and Arenado are what, about 3-20 so far in this series? When your big bats go silent it’s tough to win. Trade them all, that’s what I say.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

It’s not possible to do this but – we need an entirely new pitching staff. The best we have are horribly average.

The offense is ok but the defense and the pitching are abysmal.

Mo has really outdone himself with this team…..

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Can anyone recall the Cardinals being utterly humiliated at the hands of the Cubbies by being swept in a 4 game set in StL. by their arch rivals? I can remember a couple of 3 game sweeps at home, but not 4. I’m reasonably certain it’s probably happened, but does anyone know that if it indeed has, when and in what venue did it take place?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know about four in a row but the Cubs routinely punked us good from 2015 to 2018, including the humiliating 2015 NLDS.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I don’t know either, gscottar. I can’t remember the Cubs kicking the Cardinals in the backside 4 games in row in StL. I’m guessing it may have happened, but if it has, I’d like to know when.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A disgusting lackluster team at the moment.So when is anything going to be done?SO is THE FO asleep at the wheel or just gunshy ?CHickencrap and timid is not a formula to win with.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Monday and Tuesday is when the Cardinals will make their trades. They have the day off tomorrow so Mo can text all day with other teams.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Post TLR has been all MO all the time. Mo’s way or the highway. The philosophy or bust. It has been a long slide into the dumpster and the org is now lying on the bottom rolling around in the sludge.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Can anyone recall the Cardinals being utterly humiliated at the hands of the Cubbies by being swept in a 4 game set in StL. by their arch rivals? I can remember a couple of 3 game sweeps at home, but not 4. I’m reasonably certain it’s probably happened, but does anyone know that if it indeed has, when and in what venue did it take place?

No 1TD, as it hasn’t happened in over 112 years.

The last time that the Cubs played a four-game series in St. Louis and won them all was April 20-23, 1911. The scores were 9-5, 6-1, 7-4 and 7-0.

The records continue to fall if they lose today.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

A little more trivia.

The last time the Cubs won four straight games in St. Louis was June 27-30, 1929. The scores were 5-4, 9-5, 10-7 and 14-8. But . . . the Cubs did not sweep that series! The teams played a fifth game, on July 1, that was halted after six innings with the score tied at 11.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals are a big reason the Cubs are back in contention. You cannot be the reason why your arch nemesis is a contender for the Division Title. Very disappointing.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

This is a special group of Cardinals for sure – they will be remembered for a long time, lol.

I just hope this year sticks out like a sore thumb and does not get buried in 4-6 more years of bad seasons.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Thanks, Texcard. I can recall a couple of 3 game sweeps in StL, but couldn’t remember a 4 game sweep. At any rate, the Cubs are the hottest team in the Big Leagues right now and are moving closer to the top of the NLC. I certainly don’t anticipate them giving the Cardinals any air today.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With some success in the next couple of seasons I think this team will be long forgotten. What I do think will stick in memory is the current Redbird manager who has surpassed Vern Rapp as the worst Cardinal manager in multiple generations.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think we win today – it just seems like a day where we put it together. Matz is trending upwards, and we are due for some offense.

But it is interesting that the last time we were swept four by the Cubs was in 1911, as I was thinking this has probably not happened since the early 20th centeury when the Cubs usually had good teams and the Cardinals were mostly buried in last place or a step above. I was guessing one of the Cubs pennant years of 1906-‘08, or 1910 would have been the last time.

That 1929 Cub team was a powerhouse, with our old mentor Rogers Hornsby having an MVP season for them. Those teams were owned by William Wrigley, who by most accounts was a terrific owner who took care of the players and really wanted winners. He was not a cheapskate like Branch Rickey. Although Rickey did more good than harm, he did not mind dealing and selling good players when they became too expensive.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think any idea of rivalry is just in the minds and memories of old school fans like us. To the players, the Cubs are just another list of names on that card they all have in their pocket.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CF L. Nootbaar L
    DH P. Goldschmidt R
    2B Nolan Gorman L
    3B N. Arenado R
    LF T. O’Neill R
    1B A. Burleson L
    RF J. Walker R
    C A. Knizner R
    SS Paul DeJong R

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

When you get as old as I am years and seasons tend to run together like cheap dye in a synthetic t-shirt. I suffered through some long, disappointing stretches with these Redbirds and some mighty fine years with powerful, and sometimes pretty lucky, teams. Guess which ones I remember. Next year, assuming Mo and Ollie take long vacations in Brazil, this will all seem like a bad dream.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was actually 1929 the last time we lost a four game series at home to the Cubs. Well it was really a five game series. The fifth game ended in a tie.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know some of you don’t want to hear this but I think Marmol will be managing this club in 2024.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

CardFrance…I’d have to say the Cardinal team that I remember most fondly was the ’82 edition. Probably not only because it was the first team to relieve the suffering I’d experienced for the 15 years after being hooked on Cardinal baseball at the age of 10 in ’67 and ’68, but also because at that time I was 25 years of age and had enough energy and enthusiasm to be down at Busch Memorial Stadium as much as 4 to 5 times a week during a homestand that season. I also don’t think that ’82 team gets enough credit. That IF comprised of Hernandez, Herr, Smith and Obie was absolutely nonpouros and despite the presence of Skates in LF, McGee and Silent George made up a total defensive alignment that I feel may have been one of the best of all time. At any rate, that Cardinal team will always stay with me.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman scratched, low back tightness. Motter steps out of a phone booth with a cape on.

CF L. Nootbaar L
    DH P. Goldschmidt R
    3B N. Arenado R
    LF T. O’Neill R
    1B A. Burleson L
    RF J. Walker R
    2B T. Motter R
    C A. Knizner R
    SS Paul DeJong R

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’d switch Motter with Burly. Manny needs to be part of the teeth in the order…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years