2022 NL Cy Young Award Winner

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 NL Cy Young Award Winner

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Sandy Alcantara got ALL 30 first place votes. Coming in 5th in the voting was Zac Gallen.

Quite a trade.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

I did not like that trade. Not because somehow I knew how good those were going to be but because I did not like Ozuna at all.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What that all boiled down to is BDW preferred to spend talent rather than cash.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That was just a strange scenario all the way around. Stanton didn’t want to come here. The asking price for Yelich was perceived to be too high so we settled on Ozuna. Ironically, the asking price for Ozuna turned out to be higher than Yelich by a mile.

Hindsight says that the smart move would have been to avoid all three players. Stanton can still hit but I don’t think he will age well considering his extensive injury history. Yelich put up a couple of monster years for the Brewers but after signing his big extension he has looked very average; to the point where his contract is approaching albatross territory. Ozuna gave us fair offensive production but not what we were expecting and his defense was off the charts bad. How that guy ever won a gold glove I will never know. Of course his recent off the field problems is just icing on the cake for a career going down the tubes.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

The asking price for Yelich was perceived to be too high so we settled on Ozuna.

Yelich wasn’t offered on the trade market until after they moved Ozuna. IIRC, the Cardinals preferred Yelich but were told he wasn’t available.

Yes, in hindsight, that was the worst trade Mozeliak ever made. Gave up Alcantara and Galen for an injured (shoulder) player.

But that came after years of the Cardinals missing the playoffs because they didn’t have a MOTO bat. Part of that was philosophy at the time. The Cardinals had been good at drafting pitchers, and publicly stated they would just trade pitching for hitters.

Also, the year prior, the Cardinals did inquire about Ozuna (pre-injury) and were told the asking price was Alex Reyes. They walked away at that point.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Alex Reyes if we could turn back time…..

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Alcantara has become what a lot of people thought Reyes would be. And Gallen is not too far behind.

Man, the Ozuna deal is rapidly rising to Carlton-for-Wise territory as being legendarily bad. With us giving up two pitchers who could have real good careers, it might end up being the worst ever.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s interesting to go back and look at the views of the Ozuna trade at the time.

Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

A few were ecstatic and thought we had completely robbed the Marlins. A few were more guarded. My initial take was positive, that we were generally dealing from a position of strength. My secondary on the pros and cons…

This. Alcantara could turn into an ace, Sierra could be Kevin Kiermaier lite and Gallen could be a mid rotation starter while Ozuna looks no better than Piscotty would have, which could make this trade look silly. Or we could have just gotten a middle of the order bat and solid defender for a reliever, back end starter and reserve OF.

It just turns out that it was probably the worst case scenario. Good on Alcantara and Gallen for proving themselves, for sure.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…I’m relatively new on this site, but you’re right about many of the old threads being interesting. I often take a look at them when there’s no current chatter. In addition to being entertaining reads, they also serve to reinforce my personal policy to put forth my best effort to not to make predictions. Especially about the future…Haha!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

In general, I do not like those deals where you give up several young guys for that one player you think will put you over the top. But sometimes they work out. The deal for Jack Clark was sort of that way and worked well.

I liked the Goldschmidt deal, and it has worked so far. I hated the deal for McGwire, but that one was okay. Did not like the Mulder deal either, and we did lose on that.

Another off the top of my head – Van Slyke and others for Tony Peña – did not like.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years