2022 Cardinals MLB Game 9 thread – Tuesday, April 19 at Marlins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 9 thread – Tuesday, April 19 at Marlins

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

5:40 p.m.
    Adam Wainwright (1-1, 3.48) vs. LHP Jesús Luzardo (0-0, 1.80)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How much time do we give DeJong before Sosa becomes the everyday SS? I know it’s somewhat early but he is hitting .167. And yes, I know a couple of good games and he will be doing fine. But what if those games don’t happen? How much time?

A month?

Memorial Day?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

They said all along he would be given ample opportunity to get the ship righted. After last season one more week should have be ample one would think. I like Paul but I like my buddies also. They don’t belong playing either. Sosa won the spot last year, it should have been his to lose.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe Sosa will decline if he becomes the full time starter. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a spot though. I’d be fine with moving Edman to SS, call Gorman up and trade Dejong if things continue.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They should probably start Sosa a couple times this week and see what develops among the two.

BTW, did Edman get any playing time at SS this spring?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

My guess is by months end Sosa will be seeing more time at SS.

They’ve had ample time to see what they’ve got with DeJong. You know about 2 years worth of AB’s!!!

I saw a couple good ab’s over the weekend but the bad outweighs the good most nights at the dish.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We will see I expect a few more games before decision is made but I don’t think it will be an out loud decision if it comes to that. Maybe just look for matchups that favor each. The only thing that concerns me full time with Sosa is his defense. I think he’s ok but I don’t think he’s gold glove.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

PDJ supposedly did some stuff over the winter but he looks as messed up as ever. He will do the homer a week though, like last year.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Chomping at the bit for some game threading. Tomorrow night can’t get here soon enough, as I think our batters are poised to treat Mr. Luzardo rather rudely.

Sosa > PDJ

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

DeJong had a good Spring, but I thought Sosa won the job last year. He brings more to the game than DeJong in my opinion. Not only has he outplayed PDJ the last half season, but he has that aggressiveness that can ignite a team. Paul is sort of a “go through the motions” player.

But the big thing is PDJ’s numbers have trended downward his entire career. It could be that he can reverse course, but because he is showing a consistent long-term decline, it is hard to envision him suddenly figuring out why he has not hit well for some four years.

Given the amount of data, you gotta think PDJ is just not a real good hitter. He can pick it at short, but is below par on offense. Seems to be a little like Stephen Piscotty. Nice start to his career – looked like a player, but settled in to mediocrity.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A good breakdown there bicyclemike. I guess we will see

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Wouldn’t the appeal of having Sosa be his ability to spark the team until being over exposed? That would imply he plays now and Dejong has to regroup. Dejong’s return to form will actually occur faster by not playing as much now. The fewer at bats he has while struggling will expedite his statistical return to form later.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The FO gave DeJong a pricey extension and you all know how they deal with players in that situation. They’ll force a loooong leash on Marmol. His value is down so what do you do with DeJong if he doesn’t raise his profile soon. Tough call.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Seems like we faced Luzardo in spring training and he threw well. In his last start he K’d 12 vs only 1 run so he may have figured something out.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

We have 5 starters hitting under .200:

PDJ
    Carlson
    Dickerson
    Molina
    Goldy

I want to see if PDJ can make good on this new mindset… it’s still early and I’m not convinced Sosa will be much better in the long run. He was having trouble making adjustments at the plate in the final third of last year. Pitcher’s know his weaknesses now. Looking forward to studying these players as the season gets rolling.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Still got some guys not firing at the plate at all compared to the end of last season. DeJongs really got me vexed. When he gets the ball solid its great but how often?Management likes him so I guess the know alot more about him than I do. Carlson had good numbers the last couple years but really needs to show up now at lead off. Last Milwaukee game we had a lot of 0’fers at the beginning and end of the lineup. Looks like we can field about 4 left hitters now which is an improvement. High hopes invested in Dickerson too. If a few guys get rolling I’m thinking we can be really good this year. Leading off innings is still a big priority. Too many guys not getting on till 2 outs. Gotta change that! Go Cardinals!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Taking a gander at the out-of-town scoreboard…….

The Nationals down the D’Backs in the first game of a DH by the score of 6-1.

The Giants and Mets are tied 4-4 in the 6th, also in the first game of a DH.

The WhiteSox and Indiana have been rained out at Cleveland for the 2nd night in a row.

And the Reds are in San Diego tonight, right in the middle of a seven game losing streak. Tommy Pham started the season 0-21 but has since gotten hot, including 3-4 last night with a homerun. Not sure if this bodes well for the Redbirds this weekend as the Reds might have turned it around by then.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Din-din today was a two piece chicken dinner from the local grocery. Along with some mashed potatoes, white gravy, and corn. A Mt. Dew was also on the menu, along with a piece of Cherry Pie from the Amish restaurant.

Later tonight the late night snack will be some Campbell’s Pork n’ Beans with Ballpark Hot Dogs cut up in them. Along with a couple of Hershey’s chocolate bars with almonds dipped in peanut butter. And then a cigar or two as I finish out the Cards/Marlins game and then tune in to the Reds/Padres or Braves/Dodgers game out west. Whitey Herdog will be on the couch with me, as usual.

r/Esteemed Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Hard tô complain about Molina clogging up the basss for Bader given Molinas current rate of getting on base.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Paulie! Love that guy..

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

PDJ’s pitch selection is reason enough to let him have some leash.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Pujols seems to have picked up where he left off when he last played in St. Louis in 2011. I was hoping he would have a “Brock ‘79” type of year. We will see, but good to see him off to a hot start.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Got home and my cable is out. I see on gamecast we are winning.

din din is an extra thick pork chop in the air fryer with a pile of sauerkraut put on top for last couple minutes. Tomato cucumber salad with homemade green goddess dressing.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am on my way home “as we speak.” Will see what the wifey has cooked up for din-din. We do Mexican quite often on Tuesdays – a carryover from the “taco Tuesdays” that many places do. We also try to do “meatless Mondays”, where we go vegetarian on Monday.

Fridays are sometimes food truck and brew pub nights.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.