2022 Cardinals MLB Game 72 thread – Thursday, June 23 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 72 thread – Thursday, June 23 at Brewers

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fernandez has been getting outs with pitches up and out over the plate. That’s partly blind luck and, but mostly, it’s because the hitters haven’t figured him out yet. If he pitches the seventh, I don’t think he will finish the inning.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

5-4 Brewers heading to the last of the 8th. I am more than happy to get a split out of this series and be tied for 1st place. Hopefully we can take care of business this weekend against the Cubs and win at least two of the three.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I realize Marmol is in the “don’t use your best relievers while trailing” camp and you can never guarantee your offense will do anything. That said, bringing Verhagen into a 1 run game against a division foe is way more of a white flag than anyone should be comfortable with.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VerHagen throws 3 of 14 pitches for strikes and exits after a single and two walks. Now another of the mop up guys is in. Marmol strikes again.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wittgren did pretty well to avoid giving up more than 1 run. Gonna be tough sledding to score 2+ off Hader now.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Lousy start by Hudson really hurt today. On the topic of our roster, I really like Sosa and would be playing him quite a lot, with Tommy at second and Gorman DHing. I think this is your best option. Donovan would be in a lot as well, but he has been playing quite a bit. The nice thing about him is that you can plug him in anywhere.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Just caught the last half of the game today.Got to say we looked sloppy on defense in the 8th. Verhagen couldn’t throw a strike. McCutchens single skipped right over Gormans glove(maybe 2nd time today?). The throw from Noot to Herrera may have been a bit late but Herrera actually didn’t catch it. With Yepez’s mistake last night I say our stellar defense seems to be slipping away.Maybe we will tighten it up against Chicago this weekend. Go Cardinals!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VerHagen throws 3 of 14 pitches for strikes and exits after a single and two walks. Now another of the mop up guys is in. Marmol strikes again.

Yes it is frustrating but I would argue it is Mo’s offseason that strikes again.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the lack of quality arms and no day off I think not using our best arms in a almost certain defeat was a good decision today. Best to take the split snd not wear out your better arms going into Chicago. I didn’t see but Hudson was terrible. Waino and him didn’t get it done against an average hitting team. Still we are in first place.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hated to see that box score when I got home. Top of rotation guys shouldn’t give up a lead and it happened both yesterday and today. But it looks like Noot had a good game at the plate and in the field. Verhagen has been stinking it up all along so no surprise there. Ollie has to play the roster he’s given, unless its Woody, then he doesn’t.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes it is frustrating but I would argue it is Mo’s offseason that strikes again.

Yep, I think you could make the case that if Mo had signed none of the guys he actually signed and went with minor league guys, the Cards could be in first by 2-3 games right now. Just an astronomically bad off-season.

bccran
    Participant

Here was how VerHagen did the last time he was in the major leagues (in 2019 with the Tigers).

ERA – 5.90
    WHIP – 1.603
    IP – 58
    H – 70
    W – 23
    K – 51

And he’s pitching for us in high leverage situations?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the 58 innings is the key to that crany. Mo needed somebody who could answer the bell and take the innings. In that same season, we had 3 relievers with at least 58 IP. Gallegos and two guys who are gone now. Helsley had 36, Hicks 28, Cabrera 20, Fernandez 11, Reyes 3.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

VerHagen pitching in a 1 run game is bad news bears but he really should only be pitching when we’re behind 3+ runs or up by 4 or more. Guy is a bum!

Old Mail it in Marmol strikes again! lol

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So if Gallegos and Helsey were used yesterday and we lost anyway, then were unavailable tonight causing Verhagen or Wittgren to blow the save tonight against the Cubs I assume everyone would be cool with that right?

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.