2022 Cardinals MLB Game 68 thread – Sunday, June 19 at Red Sox

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 68 thread – Sunday, June 19 at Red Sox

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:35 p.m.
    RHP Andre Pallante (2-1, 1.46) vs. RHP Nick Pivetta (6-5, 3.50)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder how many innings Pallante can give us since he threw 2.1 innings on Wednesday? Only three days rest is not much for a starter.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Will our inconsistent offense show up tomorrow after plating 11 runs tonight?

It’s too early for tomorrow’s din-din report so I shall put that on hold.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads.

Thompson’s good outing seems like the big takeaway from yesterday. Hudson’s wildness was concerning, but he fought along and sort of kept things from going over a cliff. That aspect is good. We will have to see how the pitching unfolds today.

There is speculation that Albert will be in the starting lineup facing the righty. A nod to the Boston fans and organization.

Last night for Memphis Noot and PDJ hit 1-2 in the lineup. Both went 0-4 with 3 Ks. Ouch. They are hitting .222 and .221. Ouch.

For Springfield, Winn leading off went 0-4 with 3 Ks. McGreevy gave up 7 H and 4 ER in 4.0 IP. His ERA stands at 4.78.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bling said:

There is speculation that Albert will be in the starting lineup facing the righty. A nod to the Boston fans and organization.

Don’t know who is speculating, but I hope they are wrong.

I don’t know if it was shown on TV, but the Sox had a pregame ceremony last night in which Wacha, Big Papi and several others presented Albert with a “5” from the Green Monster scoreboard. Albert then pinch hit for Gorman late in the game (against a LHP). So I hope the ceremonies were done on Saturday.

Marmol was quoted as saying he is honing in on his best lineup. Stick with it!

Cards667
    Participant

Free

The line up the last 2 games to me is by far the best lineup to win. I’d hit Bader 9 vs RHP because I like the idea of him starting the order over. Bader, Edman, Donovan all with a good chance of someone being on in front of Goldschmidt and Arenado. Vs a LHP I’d just swap Pujols for Gorman and then Sosa 9th in place of Donovan and move Bader up to 2.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Rat, which team(s) in the majors would you consider to have a good, consistent offense?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This most definitely should be another Cards victory this afternoon. Pivetta should make this somewhat of a competitive ballgame, but once we get into that Boston bullpen, it’s over. Over the last 10 innings, the Cards have outscored the Red Sox 15-2. And this is no fluke. Let’s call it 6-4 Birds shall we? As long as no vehement objections abound, I should be yet once again, riding high in the PBP saddle. We are still greatly in search of a PBP sidekick, who can call the action for the Redbird opponent’s at bats, while I call the action for our Birds’ offensive onslaughts. The pay isn’t anything to write home about, but the fringe benefits are far beyond your wildest dreams. I’d love to see one of our regular posters step up to the plate as my PBP sidekick, but that appears not to be a happening thing. However, we have throngs of wonderful lurkers out there, who faithfully follow our game threads, yet never pull the trigger on letting their voice be heard. It’s from that deep pool where our perfect sidekick exists. You know who you are….. please swim to the surface and paddle on over to our booth.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

forsch31…….I don’t know what teams have a consistent offense. It just seems as if the Redbirds do not. That has been talked about on this forum before.

And din-din today will be the Ratsbuddy version of what we call Beef Burgundy. Which is basically beef and noodles. Along with some bread and butter, Mt. Dew, and a piece of strawberry pie from the Amish restaurant. All of this commencing about 1st pitch time. Then afterwards a couple of 7×50 Palma Real cigars to finish out the game.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Your din-dins are to die for, Rat. And wouldn’t Rat be the perfect PBP sidekick for me! Think about it, Rat. We’d have Cardinal fans thinking “Jack & Harry who?” I royally detest the smell of smoke, but I’ll even let you fire up your 7 x 50 Palma Real cigars in the booth……matter of fact, I’ll even make room for some of those scrumptious Amish pies in the booth to boot.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I am among those who have a good feeling about today’s game, having been buoyed by yesterday’s 6th inning (watched in replay). I believe our men are feeling their Wheaties. Rah Cardinals!

On this hot Sunday evening in France Madame CiF and I will consume some fresh asparagus, followed by cooled cantaloupe, followed by vegetable turnovers fresh from the oven, beverage of choice being iced tea, and strawberries for dessert.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Herrera sighting!
    Outfield intact, Edman / Donovan up the middle.
    Yepez, Gorman, Sosa and Knizner bench.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 1. British Columbia native, Nicholas John Carlo Pivetta, who turns 30 next Valentine’s Day, is front and center stage for the Bostonians today. Very cool (59 degrees) summer afternoon in Beantown.

Edman walks on 4 straight unstraight ones.

Donovan grounds it to the left of Story at 2nd base, who nicely scoots over to glove it and his only play will be to Dalbec at 1st base as Tommy E. safely scampers into 2nd.

Goldy flies out to Refsnyder in short right field.

Arenado couldn’t check his swing as he succumbs to a low and away fastball.

Cards 0
    Red Sox 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 1. Neil Pallante going for St. Louis today.

Refsnyder taps one inches in front of home plate where Herrera immediately pounces on it and guns his throw to Goldy at 1st base for the putout.

Devers chops a slow roller Arenado’s way and he’ll toss him out with ease at 1st base.

Martinez strikes out swinging as the ball briefly eludes the catcher Herrera, but it doesn’t venture far…..fires it down to 1st base to retire the side.

Cards 0
    Red Sox 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 2.

O’Neill bounces it out to Bogaerts at short and his throw to Dalbec at 1st will just get the swift running O’Neill by a hair…..between O’Neill, Edman, Carlson, Donovan and Bader, the Cardinals are going to register a lot of infield hits this year. If these opposing infielders make the slightest bobble or even look at the ball the wrong way, they’re going to pay the price.

Carlson walks.

Albert……hit one for Brian, Albert! Albert couldn’t check his swing and he strikes out.

Carlson to 2nd base compliments of a wild Pivetta pitch.

Bader walks.

Herrera strikes out swinging.

Cards 0
    Red Sox 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 2. Neil Pallante utilized only 8 pitches of energy in the 1st inning.

Bogaerts strikes out swinging and we don’t want to jinx him, but in the early stages here today, Pallante is totally owning these Boston batters.

Verdugo grounds out to Edman at short.

Story sends a drive to deep right field…. Carlson drifts back and looks up and that ball is not coming back……1-0 Red Sox.

Vasquez pops out to Goldy right near the Boston dugout to retire the side.

Cards 0
    Red Sox 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 3.

Edman on 3-2 Tommy draws the walk, Pivetta’s fourth free pass already….we have to finally make him pay for it this time.

Donovan on 3-1 sends a ball in the air to short left field not all that far from the chalk…and Verdugo will camp on under it for the out.

Goldy on 3-1 flies out to Refsnyder in short right field and we continue to allow this Pivetta fellow to wiggle on off the hook.

Edman to 2nd base on a wild pitch.

Arenado grounds out to Bogaerts at short.

Red Sox 1
    Cards 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Feel free to chime on in gang.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 3. Neil at 24 pitches entering the inning.

Bradley Jr. hits it with some authority to deep left field where Tyler O’Neill will catch it right at the base of the wall.

Dalbec flies out routinely to Carlson in right.

Refsnyder rolls it smoothly out to Donovan at 2nd and he’ll scoop her on up and execute the short toss on over to Goldy for the out.

Red Sox 1
    Cards 0

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love having Edman and Donovan batting first and second in front of the big boys. That is classic baseball and is what Whitey Herzog would have done.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 4.

O’Neill whistles a line drive out into left field for a leadoff hit…..the first hit for the Redbirds today, though Pivetta has been more than generous to St. Louis in the free pass department.

Carlson flies out to Verdugo in very deep left field

O’Neill swipes 2nd base as Vasquez’ throw sailed into center field, but Tyler stays put at 2nd.

Albert strikes out swinging for the second consecutive time today.

Bader drills a base hit to left and O’Neill is rounding on 3rd and a coming on home for dinner……the throw won’t get him and the catcher Vasquez’ throw to 2nd base will be tardy as well…..tie ballgame.

Bader swipes 3rd base…..and why not? Boston better be ready as it’s not beyond the impossible that Bader may not have his sights set on stealing home too.

Herrera strikes out.

Red Sox 1
    Cards 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 4. Pallante enters the inning with 33 pitches under his belt……and if my math is correct…..hmmm three carry the one…. that’s an average of only 11 pitches an inning thus far today.

Devers lines a base hit to center on the first pitch he sees.

Martinez bounces it out to Edman at short…oh yes….flips to Donovan for one and over to Goldy for two…..how sweet is that!

Bogaerts grounds out to Edman at short.

Cards 1
    Red Sox 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 5. Pivetta starts the frame at an even steven 70 pitches.

Edman strikes out swinging.

Donovan …. Brendan due for a hit as we don’t want the word “slump” entering this young man’s vocabulary in any fashion whatsoever. Bounces out to Story at 2nd base.

Goldy dumps a broken bat fly into short center where Bradley Jr comes flying in…and it glances off if his glove and Goldy will slide into 2ndbbase with a cheapie of a double, but he’ll take it .

Arenado pops out to Story at 2nd base.

Cards 1
    Red Sox 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 5. Neil Pallante with a grand total of only 40 pitches so far.

Verdugo slaps a base hit into center.

Wild pitch sends Verdugo to 2nd base.

Story…..we want a different story from this guy over his last at bat. Trevor chops it down to Arenado at 3rd where Nolan will take a quick check of Verdugo at 2nd and whip an accurate throw Goldy’s way for the out.

Vasquez flies out routinely to Carlson in right and Verdugo had to stay right where he’s at.

Bradley Jr. oh oh we have a WAVE alert! When is THE WAVE ever going to go the way of the dinosaur?…..not soon enough that’s for sure. Bradley Jr raps a hard grounder past a diving Edman and out into center field for a hit and in comes Verdugo with the second Boston run on the day. If we can just stay close here until we can feast on the Boston pen, we’ll be just fine.

Dalbec strikes out swinging.

Cards 1
    Red Sox 2

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 6. Pivetta at 83 heaves entering the inning.

O’Neill lines a base hit out into right-center field where the center fielder Bradley Jr will trot on over to glove it and get it right back in….nice little start to the Redbird 6th.

Carlson hits a high deep drive to right…. Refsnyder back to the wall and he’ll glove it on the track …I thought that ball had a chance for glory when it left Dylan’s bat.

Albert strikes out swinging yet once again and I’m beginning to experience some of Brian’s pre-game frustration.

O’Neill thrown out trying to steal 2nd base.

Red Sox 2
    Cards 1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years