2021 MLB Individual Awards

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 MLB Individual Awards

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This means all six finished in the top three at their respective positions – but we don’t get to know the winners yet. The announcements that matter will be made on 11/7.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, Goldschmidt, Arenado and O’Neill are in the running for Silver Slugger awards.

Here’s the full schedule (corrected):

11/7: Gold Gloves
    11/11: Silver Sluggers
    11/15: Rookies of the Year
    11/16: Managers of the Year
    11/17: Cy Young Awards
    11/18: MVPs

“Finalists” for the last four awards will be announced on 11/8.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d expect Arenado, Goldy and O’Neill to win Gold Gloves. Bader is a possibility, and probably should win but it’s not always about the best defender.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well the taylor kid has some great stats so I think he will win it on merit. If bader didn’t miss so many games, he might have made a difference. I think goldy is well deserving as well as edman. Arenado will probably get it but I was a little disappointed with his defense myself. He makes the outstanding plays but a few too many times I saw him botch routine plays. Some of those he wasn’t given errors but they were. Oneil I guess passed the stats test but eyeball test he just doesn’t do it for me. Too many times he let the infielders go 150 feet out into the outfield to catch a ball and sometimes not when with his speed he should be able to run from the wall to the dirt in the normal time a pop up is in the air. Problem is stats don’t show that stuff. I’m big on defensive hustle and he doesn’t hustle defensively.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well the taylor kid has some great stats so I think he will win it on merit.

He’s in the AL, as are most of the other good gloves it seems. Bader’s competition in the NL looks to be Jackie Bradley, Jr. Harrison has the edge on the metrics but the lack of games may hurt him.

1982 willie
    Participant

Oh thanks for that, I forgot both leagues got their own. That graph above your comment messed me up.

1982 willie
    Participant

I wonder who the catcher will be. Molina is still good but he’s not great. I’m just not up on the other catchers in the league.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals won 2 of the 10 Fielding Bible Awards for MLB in 2021 – Goldschmidt and O’Neill. Fourth for Paul and second consecutive for Tyler. These are metrics-driven awards.

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2021/10/28/the-2021-fielding-bible-award-winners/

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting note that the great State of Missouri represents 40% of the Fielding Bible recipients, while the once great State of California is shut out.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sadly, “news” of the means almost-nothing Gold Glove “finalists” obscured these real awards. No one remembers or cares who comes in second and third. As I ask every year, just tell us the winners and stop the fake suspense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I doubt if any Cardinals win any of the “big four” awards but I would expect Carlson will get some votes for Rookie, Waino will get votes for Cy Young, Goldy will get votes for MVP, and maybe Shildt will get votes for Manager.

14NyquisT
    Participant

No surprise to me that Edman is a nominee. For those saying that we gave up a lot of defense when Wong left and Edman replaced him…. the FO somehow knew that wasn’t the case…. they had Edman. To those who dismiss his abilities at 2B let’s put those opinions to rest.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wouldn’t this be uncomfortable?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No Cardinals “finalists” (more appropriately called top three finishers) for Cy Young Award and MVP.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting factoid…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ohtani with the mortal lock on AL MVP. NL will be close….. I’ll go Soto. Edman and his league leading doubles crown and sterling glove, should at least be extended a tip of the cap.

1982 willie
    Participant

Really dont know that any on that list deserve mvp. Did any of those make the playoffs. What was their value. Best player on a losing team though I know Toronto had a pretty good record.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BetOnlineAG has Carlson as the longest shot of the ROY top three and India the huge favorite.

NL Rookie of the Year

Jonathan India 1/25
    Trevor Rogers 15/2
    Dylan Carlson 20/1

1982 willie
    Participant

If india doesn’t win, it will make the whole process a joke.

Thundering44
    Participant

Carlson’s numbers a lot closer to India then people think. Actually has more hits than India and higher OPS +. OPS + is only stat that factors in the ball parks you play in to even out the field. Carlson’s defense was far superior and he helped his team to the post season which India did not.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

44 makes some solid points. Wonder what criteria the various BBWAA voters used…

As I have said before, it is too bad the so called finalists aren’t really finalists. If they were, then discussion like this could lead to a better choice of the winner. Instead, the winner was already decided and we are led along with this finalist thing that isn’t really meaningful.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidt, Arenado and O’Neill were in the running for NL Silver Slugger awards, but none finished first.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.