2021 Minor League Schedule

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Minor League Schedule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At this point, not only do we not know which teams are surviving, we have no idea when and where they are going to play.

The Athletic reports that MLB is considering staggered minor league reporting in the spring.

MLB and Triple-A report in February. Triple-A teams play the regular season in their home cities or in the alternate sites if necessary.

Other minor leaguers report to camp when the first group leave. Their season would be delayed until mid-May. So the season would be shorter. If they can’t play in their home parks, then the back fields in FL and AZ are a possibility.

None of this is set.

https://theathletic.com/2169752/2020/10/29/start-of-2021-minor-league-baseball-spring-training-season-could-be-staggered/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Apparently, the rumors are coming to pass.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While not completely ideal, it at least suggests that there will be a minors season. It will be nice to at least have some prospect news to catch up on each morning.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The key for minor league teams is to be able to sell sponsorships and tickets. They are months behind on that already. And they are still at least a month more away from having schedules and maybe longer. And of course, we don’t know what local regulations will be regarding fans in ballparks in 120 different locales.

So hopefully the players can still play somehow somewhere.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume guys like Gorman, Montero, Liberatore, Herrera, and Thompson will still get an invite to big league camp even if they aren’t slated for AAA initially.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is an interesting part of the minor league story. It could impact September call ups.

“Additionally, the memo told minor league teams to expect their schedules to run until as late as Oct. 3, a full month after regular season games normally end in early September. It is also expected there will be no minor league playoffs in 2021. With a delayed start, those playoff dates will be exchanged for more dates for all teams.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

September call ups are a relic from the past, anyway. Expanded rosters were eliminated as MLB saved money.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

I assume guys like Gorman, Montero, Liberatore, Herrera, and Thompson will still get an invite to big league camp even if they aren’t slated for AAA initially.

I am not assuming that at all. Or they wouldn’t have called it “Triple-A roster”. It is not “alternate camp” like in 2020. I just finished taping with Danny Mac and I went into this in depth. (with my speculation only)

The expectation is that the “Triple-A roster” players will head from Jupiter to Memphis and open the regular season on time in early April. Only at that time are the players slated for Double-A and Class-A even allowed to report.

I think it will be a tell if these top prospects are on the “Triple-A roster” to start the spring, as it could signal them being accelerated to St. Louis later in 2021. I hope it happens, but nothing should be assumed.

P.S. If we get time with Mo during WWU, I will ask for clarification.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ugh…. That would stink if those guys can’t even get on the field until May or June.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it will be a tell if these guys are on the “Triple-A roster” as it could signal them being accelerated to St. Louis in 2021. I hope it happens, but it should not be assumed.

I agree. I also think we will see several of those guys on the Memphis roster on the accelerated program.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

Ugh…. That would stink if those guys can’t even get on the field until May or June.

Play the domino game. What about the high school draft picks from 2020 who are slated for the GCL? They might not play until July. Still, it would be better than the nothing they got in 2020, but my take is that the odds of getting in a full minor league season other than Triple-A maybe are low. And this is in early January. Hard to see it improving ahead.

Participant

Free

From my point of view, MLB is slowly killing itself. All the changes they have made will negatively the teams over the next 10 years. They have had almost 10 months to have contingency plans in place but they don’t seem to have them. Another lost minor league season will keep players from developing like they should. Anything less than a full minor league season is “lost”.

Participant

Agree forsch.

It seems that these issues are C-19 related. This is January…. this country may be in a better place sooner than later. At least that is my hope. Keeping the players safe should be the the top priority and if the vaccine proves to be effective…. “things” should look brighter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I will have a detailed article up later with my take on this…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Love Russ Steinhorn’s future…… especially if he could ever finally learn to master the Spanish language. He’ll manage from the top step of the dugout in this league one day. Hopefully, it’s with us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years